Sign in to follow this  
Guest alfonzo631

I Just Got 3 Gold Fish At The Fair Last Night

Guest alfonzo631

hello i have just won 3 goldfish at the fair last night got home and realized i don't have food or anything for them so i went into my basement and found like 2 tanks and some small hermit crab tanks i took one of those and put some colored rocks that i had when i had my hermit crabs so i go up stairs and my sister already put them in a tank with the dirty bag water so i fish them out in cups and quickly fill the tank up with clean water and the rocks and a little palm tree as i do this i hear something smacking the table and my sister scream .... one of the goldfish flopped out of the cup so i quickly pick him up and put him back in the cup. anyway i put them in the tank and put the tank next to my turtle tank so he has some company. i now need food my friend who also lives across the street from me has fish and a nice tank he's probz has food i can borrow. but for the mean i cut up an apple into tiny pieces and put that in the tank i did that like 5 min ago i don't think they ate them . i also just read that i need atlas 10g per fish and i think i have a nice size tank for them from when i had like 5 hermit crabs so im going to fill that up with water in a bit. but i have been filling the tank up with tap water and i hear that was bad if so what kind of water do they need and where should i get it from. i also didn't tell my parents about the fish and there not to fond of new pets but il talk them into it just like when i talked them into the turtle the 2 bunnies the 2 cats and the like 15 hermit crabs. im shore they wont mind 3 fish. any way theres 2 lights above my turtle tank and one is red for night and one is white for day so i tuned the day one on one of the fish freaked out and was swimming really fast and smacked into a wall he seems okay now but um i just wanted to know if thats a bad sign? so lets recap im going to put a big tank in my room later this way theres no light problem i just hope they don't mind a messy room :P so anyway is there anything else i should do and do i need anything else for them my budget right now is like 7$ so it might take a while to get whatever i need

Hi there, you've come to the right place for advice, this forum is great :)

As for your questions....

but for the mean i cut up an apple into tiny pieces and put that in the tank i did that like 5 min ago i don't think they ate them .

No apple isn't really good. Do you have any peas? Those are a good food to use until you get something specifically for goldfish. Here's a good thread about fruits and veggies for goldfish http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/86093-best-fresh-fruits-and-veggies-for-my-orandas/

i also just read that i need atlas 10g per fish and i think i have a nice size tank for them from when i had like 5 hermit crabs so im going to fill that up with water in a bit. but i have been filling the tank up with tap water and i hear that was bad if so what kind of water do they need and where should i get it from.

Great to hear that you have a nice big tank, that really is essential. The dangerous thing about tap water is the chlorine that is added in many areas. You have to buy a tap water conditioner to add, which removes the chlorine. Until you get one you can let the water stand for 24 hours instead (that will get rid of the chlorine too).

day so i tuned the day one on one of the fish freaked out and was swimming really fast and smacked into a wall he seems okay now but um i just wanted to know if thats a bad sign?

The fish are probably very stressed from everything that's happened to them. It's better for now not to use lights at all. They don't really need them, lights with goldfish are just for show really :)

so anyway is there anything else i should do and do i need anything else for them my budget right now is like 7$ so it might take a while to get whatever i need

One thing you absolutely need is a filter. Otherwise you are going to have to change the water ever single day.

ok first off, how many gallons is the "big" tank and does it have a filter? Here we recomend 10 gallons per fancy goldfish (20 for the first one) and 20 gallons per common/comet goldfish (they can grow to be around a foot in length). Right now your tank is not cycled and most likely too small.

You will also need water conditioner and goldfish food but the water conditioner comes first. The water conditioner is VERY important because it gets rid of the harsh chemicals,such as chlorine, in your tap water which will harm/kill your goldfish.

Here's a great thread about taking care of goldfish. It has a list of all the things you should need now:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/11275-keeping-goldfish/

I would get water conditioner for sure. It is easier than aging water.

Also regarding your turtle - make sure it has the proper UV light as well as the heat one to be able to bask out of the water against shell rot and such.

Guest alfonzo631

thank all of you i just filled up the big tank and my friend should be home soon so i can get the food and im going to try and find a filter im going to ask around to see if any of my friends had fish that dont need the filter or any other things anymore. and as for the guy who asked about the lights for my turtle i know what im doing with him i had him for 14 years lol. i will post again tomorrow to let all of you know how every things going

Great to hear, good luck finding the filter!

You've had your turtle for 14 years but you're 16 years old??? :blink:

Guest alfonzo631

yea i got him when i learned to be potty trained no joke

Guest alfonzo631

oh yea i forgot to mention when i said the gold fish a part of his tail uhhhh broke sooo yea

Can you post pictures? And would you be able to pick up some dechlorinator for your water? :welcome

Slip in some pics of the turtle too!!!

Guest alfonzo631

my friend who has pond fish has a filter because he brings the fish inside in the winter time so im going to borrow his for a little until i can get my own

its hard to tell the size of your tank, it looks like it could be 10 gallons, or a 29 gallon tank from the picture. If it is 10 gallons, you are really going to need to stay on top of the water changes every day. If not, you can expect some sick fish in the near future.

We have a fish from the fair that is now 7 years old.

Congrats