Sign in to follow this  
mardaokansi

Idk What This Is O_o

I have no idea what this crazy-eyed gf is but if anyone knows I would be happy to find out. :)

Black%252520Moor%2525284EYE%252521%252521%252529.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

*These are not my photographs. I found them from a google search.

**If these photos have been posted before I apologize for a repeat thread.

It looks like a black bubble eye.

:bingo:

I don't think it's a bubble eye, I think it's a dragon eye (the ones with huge eyes) that has doughnut-shaped eyes. The doughnut-shaped eye thing is a different type of eye they can have, it's just less popular. For... obvious reasons. :rofl

ive heard of dragon eyes too. Bubble eyes are commonly seen where i live and most of the bubbles are really thin. These eyes look thick. Just my opinion.

All these petruding eyes just have small differences. I read an article that explained 3 different telescope eyes (black moor is tele). So maybe the dragon eye fits under the telescope classification? If i can fins the article i will post but ive done a lot of research in the last 2 months i am not sure if i can find it.

I always believed that telescopes, bubble eyes and celestials are dragon eyes. According to this here from Raingarden:

"Telescope goldfish are also called demekin, or dragon eyes, or moors or globe eyes or pop eyes. "

When I google for Dragon Eye Goldfish, all the results come up basically saying that this is the name for the group of goldfish to which the teles, bubbles and celestials belong.

One article mentions though that Dragon Eyes are fish with protruding eyes and a short, thick body confirmation.

Wikipedia says "The telescope eye or demekin is a fancy goldfish characterized by its protruding eyes. It is also known as globe eye or dragon eye goldfish."

For me it's hard to tell if the eyes of the fish above are firm or bubbles. It kind of reminds me of the pics of other bubble eyes with large bubbles, but on this one the eyes seem more firm because of the deep black coloring.

But their shape sure is strange looking, then again this could be from the difference in pressure/gravity when the fish is out of the water. I wish there were some more pics of that fish, or a video. That would be great! :)

It looks like a black bubble eye.

i think Alex is spot on with this one, i have a book here called "Goldfish Guide" by Dr.'s Yoshiichi Matsui and Herbert T. Axelrod. there is a very similar example of the eye moreso where they refer to it as bubble eye. they also say that any mixed breed fish can posess the bubble eyes, so i think the body shape doesn't have much to do with it. i am convinced from the example i see and compare it to that this is a black bubble eye..

I don't see it's eyes unsure.gif These are the only pics I've found so we can only do with what we've got. This fish just looks creepy to me. Like some kind of alien creature with peanut shaped lesions hanging off it's face. krazy.gifhide.gif

Like some kind of alien creature with peanut shaped lesions hanging off it's face.

Well that's about the creepiest thing ever. >.>

blackfish.jpg

:rofl:goodpost

Maybe it is just a genetic anomaly? It is really neat looking :)

Like some kind of alien creature with peanut shaped lesions hanging off it's face.

Well that's about the creepiest thing ever. >.>

blackfish.jpg

LOL!! rofl3.gifrofl3.gifrofl3.gifrofl3.gifrofl3.gif

Found some of the other fish in the collection that make this black "monster" more identifiable.

IMG_2069.JPG

Red%252520Bubble%252520eye%252520with%252520white%252520body.JPGTancho%252520Bubble%252520eye.JPGIMG_2081.JPG

Yup. Bubble eye :))

I still think it's a dragon eye. Those aren't bubbles, they're the eyes! Do you have a link to the site where you found the photo of the first fish?

I return just in time :whistle ! These fish are something I'm familiar with from a place in China who breeds them. It's not a bubble eye (sorry guys!), as the eyes would be separate and on top of the lumps. they are known as "Wuhan Dragon Eyes". They are very rare, nearly extinct. Here's another one. You can I.D them by their big doughnut shaped eyes. If he wasn't black it would be easier to point out where his actual eye is, but it is nestled in the fleshy protrusion's center, just like a normal tele.

wuhandragon.jpg

Here is another wuhan.

The last picture Martha had their with the bubble eyes looks like it may or may not be another one. Certianly not as pronounced as these two.

They have big doughnut shaped eyes, and sometimes a dorsal, sometimes not. I'm not sure what is preferred in that aspect within the breed (dorsal or none) but they are an interesting breed. Sadly due to commercial demand for butterfly telescopes, broadtails and black moors fish farms cannot support the breeding of these rarer fish. If a strain is not turning a profit, it is discarded. I am unsure of the breeding behind them, but the consensus is that they seem to be one of the more ancient breeds, and some debate they may have been the species to have given rise to the modern day bubble eyes, which would explain the lack of dorsal in that species, and fish with strange telescope eyes occasionally showing up in bubble eye matings.

Edit- They are also believed to have given rise to celestials in addition to bubbles. Celestials can be viewed as a modern, more refined wuhan. Some celestials also show strangely shaped eyes like this. The generally dominant smaller eyes prevent these doughnut ones cropping though.

I'm sorry, rare strains and types are one of my loves, even if I think most of them are going extinct for a reason (See, not very appealing to the eye!) But we should respect this strain and the breeders of them that remain just as we would to, say in my example, an oranda breeder. I personally don't like orandas, but I can respect them and their keepers for their efforts regardless. :) You'll find the breeders that remain of these rarer (and more ancient) strains take offence very easily to bad comments on their fish due to she sheer pressure they face every day to discard them and move onto more profitable strains of fish. It's sad to see these breeds dying out so much that people don't even recognise them anymore. :)

:whatjust:

Hi guys, with that post, I think I'm back to annoy you all. :oops::rofl

Edited by Amber

Sakura, you are right!

Thank you for the correction and the additional info. I love learning new things! :)

Sakura, you are right!

Thank you for the correction and the additional info. I love learning new things! :)

Told you guys. :D I know my telescope eyed fish, I tells ya! p.s. Thanks for all that information Amber, how interesting. :)

Edited by Sakura

Sakura, you are right!

Told you guys. :D I know my telescope eyed fish, I tells ya! p.s. Thanks for all that information Amber, how interesting. :)

No problems, I love rare varieties. You should see some of the stranger looking breeds I got photos of while in China!

Sakura, you are right!

No problems, I love rare varieties. You should see some of the stranger looking breeds I got photos of while in China!

Ooh, I would love if you would post of photo thread of them!

In photos and from a distance they do look like bubble eyes. The eye ring itself is usually made of a combination of flesh like a tele's eyes and fluid like a bubble eye in some parts, especially the edges. (You can see how the bubble eye is thought to come from this species by that) But in real life up close they are impossible to confuse with either type! ;)

Sakura, you are right!

Ooh, I would love if you would post of photo thread of them!

When I get home in a few day's I'll raid my other laptop and find them. If not I'm sure I can remember the names of most of the strains I saw and google up some photos. :)

Well I just learned something, never seen that fish before :yikes

If you guys read Chinese, check this out here. Even if you don't, it is worthwhile running through google translate or similar to get the gist of it. Of over 300 distinct and separate strains we have some 50 odd left, with even fewer being common to the aquaria trade. Many more (Like our strange little Wuhan friend here) are fast on their way out too. It's very depressing. Some fish have had a resurgence with demand increasing within the trade, like celestials and bubbles, which were fast going extinct, but most will decline and disappear like the rest.

It would not be such a huge deal (it would still be pretty bad actually, but) if, say, we can keep all the traits/genes for all the different 'forms' (eyes, fins, wens, bubbles, etc, every gene) alive, even if dispersed through the goldfish population as a whole as technically through selective breeding we could recombine those genes over generations to 'recreate' a strain, but because or commercial pressure most strains are pretty uniform and no longer carry such genes, meaning that, say, if we lose the Wuhan, chances are we lose that species and eye form for good. And even though technicialy it is possible to recreate a strain, it's not really if you consider it. For example, say if the husky breed of dog went extinct and we started crossbreeding other dogs and intensively selecting for 'husky' traits to recreate them. Its still not the original, and its doubtful it will ever be even close to the original.

Long story short, if we want these species to survive we have to create demand for them. We have to demand them and buy enough of them to keep the species alive by keeping them profitable (or in most cases, making them again profitable) for the producers. But this is unlikley to happen, and so within the next 50 years we will probably have only out common, commets, Wenned fish like orandas, ranchu and lionead and dragon Eyes- ie, What we call 'telescopes' (broadtails, butterflies, etc) celestials and bubble eyes.

If the resurgence in pompoms, wakins, toskains and so on continues it is likely they will become more profitable once again and survive as a strain.

If you guys ever get the time/funding, and end up in China, check out some of the rooftop goldfish farms before they are all gone! You will stumble on some of the funniest and amazing types still being bred. I can't find my own photos, but here is the Vermilion GF clubs write up on one members trip (also the source for my previous wuhan photo. If the fish are hard to find, photos are even harder!)

Their are some bizarre types out there!

23kxe6p.jpg

Wenned telescope (chinsgoldfish) I believe they are known as dragon orandas.

5230d1165417291-exotic-goldfish-photos-med_gallery_9_4_7653.jpg

The 'double bubble' (source unknown) I believe their are strains with just the chin bubble in existence too.

10_calico20egg20left_2.jpg

Some kind of lionhead/pompom strain

745_2357993842_54d22cbd7f_1.jpg

Nothing unusual here besides colouring, but had to share him. He's pretty!

Goldfish+Chart.jpg

And always remember, the more strains we lose, the more we lost the ability to create new strains and to improve existing ones!

since the new site upgrade I came across this thread again and WOW ZOMG AMBER YOU ROCK! I love your brain! Thanks for sharing!! :Jig: