Sign in to follow this  
kortniee

Theoretical Fishless Cycling Question

So... my tap water comes complete with 1ppm of Ammonia for no extra charge. I've known about that for a while (hooray for Prime!)... but something occurred to me today. Would it be possible to eventually do a fishless cycle using just my tap water? When you cycle with a fish, you want to keep it lower than that, right, but eventually it cycles? So in theory would it be possible to keep doing water changes on a fishless tank to just keep adding more ammonia?

I think I had this thought because the one time I tried to do a completely fishless cycle, I looked like 439 places and could only find bubbly ammonia. It's an interesting thought...

Shoot me down. :)

That's a awesome suggestion.. for you and my sake, I hope you struck a goldmine of an idea here!

Hello! I'm sure others with more experience will come along to weigh in, but from everything that I read about fishless cycling before I did mine, my understanding is that typically a level of 4 ppm is used in the beginning of the cycle, then later once nitrites/nitrates show up it can be dropped down to 1-2 ppm. It is an interesting idea, but I am not sure if 1 ppm would be enough to "feed" the cycle in the beginning or not :)

Also, I got my ammonia at an Ace Hardware, have you tried hardware stores?

Edited by tithra

My attempt was maybe 5 years ago, so maybe things have changed. But I tried hardware stores, dollar stores, grocery stores, lots of the usual suspects... but I was stuck in a local market and maybe there wasn't any demand for it where I was at the time.

I thought about how you usually need several ppm of Ammonia for fishless cycling, but what got the idea going in my head was the fact that people do still cycle with fish in their tanks, and in that case, for the fish's sake, you want to keep the ammonia much lower. And it still cycles, eventually, though it usually takes longer than fishless cycling. But I really don't know.

I am also unlucky at finding pure ammonia. I have resorted to other means of doing a fish-less cycle.

I am also unlucky at finding pure ammonia. I have resorted to other means of doing a fish-less cycle.

Yeah, what about just putting in some fish food or a shrimp or something like that that's going to degrade and cause ammonia/bacteria like that?