Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

How Long Do They Really Live?

I always thought fancies would live to about 8-10years.

The thing is that I will be adopting 2 fish from a friend of mine, who is moving to BORNEO, and they are:

THIRTEEN TO FIFTEEN years old!!! An white oranda and white veil tail. :krazy:

He calls them 'teenagers' :krazy: :krazy: :krazy:

I haven't seen them yet but he says they are 25-30cm and super healthy. THey are the last remaining from his goldfish collection. He breeds Discus now.

But that is ANCIENT right? How long CAN they live???

I am super nervous now as I don't want to harm his long time friends. I hope they don't get shocked from moving tanks. I am thinking of asking him his exact parameters (temp, pH, hardness) and the size tank, water level they are in. I need to make the transition super slow I think. Freaking out just a little bit!

im sure you will be fine. If they are that old, they are probably really hardy in the first place and you know what to do. That is really awesome though. i did read about some goldies that lived 20 years

well, we've always said here that gold fish can live upto 20 years or more given the correct environment. i would be giving them as much space as possible, taking as much of his filer media as he's prepared to part with and yes, good call to be asking exact params. infact, i would most likely be going there and testing the water params with my own test kit to be absolutely spot on.

Asking him for the parameters is a good idea. I assume his water is not showing much of any toxins at all, and I assume your water is the same. The pH gH and kH might be of interest though.

Well, although this sounds old, I can see how they can get that old in good care. First of all, this friend of yours bred goldfish for a long time, or not? And he did not do that in a mass production way. Usually the fish we get at LFS, especially chain stores, come from mass breeders. Their genes are honestly kind of crappy, which is why many LFS fish never grow very big or don't live as long, even in the best care they can receive. At some point they were most likely inbred too. Not culled properly, passing on the "bad" genes further.

It's not the first time you hear of goldfish living for decades. It just doesn't happen so often anymore because of how they are "produced".

Either way, I'm really looking forward to you getting those fish and getting to see some photos of them :D

infact, i would most likely be going there and testing the water params with my own test kit to be absolutely spot on.

Thats a good point. You never know if your test materials are slightly off, or theirs his could be. Also for example, testing Ph; when you look at the color of the Ph it could look totally different to another person. Not everyone sees the exact same shade of color. This all will help ensure that you are getting an exact match.

thanx guys :)

I am not going to ask him for ammonia etc as that is a bit of an insult I guess. He is like 60years old and has been in the fish business for ages. I imagine it is all good. But pH and hardness is something I will ask to make sure we have similar ones. I think he has lower pH than me because I remember that he was shocked at my 8.4 when he only lives 5mins away. But that will be okay if I acclimate them super slow right?

I am just shocked because I just have never seen fish of such age. Single tails and Koi are one thing, but fancies always seemed much more delicate to me. When he told me they are teenagers the other day I expected like 5year olds. Then he when he said 13-15 I asked in english just to make sure I had understood right lol.

I agree with the mass breeding things Fang. I don't know if these guys are his babies - it could be tho. I will ask :) In that case they have also never been shipped etc. All those things do take a toll on the fish.

Wow that's amazing! :) Even my poor guys who spent the majority of their life without the knowledge of koko's have lasted 8 years and are still going strong - although they are commons.

I would have thought with gentle treatment they've gotta be hardy enough to cope with a move if they've made it to that age :) Can't wait to see pics! :P

Their genes are honestly kind of crappy, which is why many LFS fish never grow very big or don't live as long, even in the best care they can receive. At some point they were most likely inbred too. Not culled properly, passing on the "bad" genes further.

I'm not sure about that... First of all, aren't most breeders just selective for the traits like tail, wen, and body shape? I don't think they are going to be selecting for longevity or health. And aren't most show "fancy" fish from the breeder really from the same spawns as the LFS fish? After all most LFS fish are just culls from the breeder with less desirable "show" traits. And it would seem that the show quality, extreme fish with the huge wens, extremely compacted bodies, huge tails, or whatever it may be would have the most recessive genes as a result of inbreeding. IME, lfs fish are usually closer to the natural form of goldfish than the show breeder ones. Also from what I've seen on Koko's, it seems that LFS fish tend to live longer, but just an observation.

One employee at the LFS told me that goldfish only have a life span of about 3 years, while another eagerly told me a story about a goldfish won at a fair that has been alive for nearly 20 years.

I want mine to live forever and grow to the size of leviathans!

Hoping all goes perfectly for you & your new goldies!! AND (of course) we'll require a TON of pictures!! ASAP!!!

If they are well bred, raised well and not exposed to toxins, they can live a very long time. We have some fantails of around the same age amongst our rescue fish in the pond. :)

Just goes to show how long they can live. I think it's kind of sad that people are shocked when fish live this long. It's well within their natural lifespan. I can remember my grandma having a pair of fantails (the above mentioned) when I was only a toddler, and their still going strong 15 years later.

And Calluna has a point, but my own theory behind LFS fish living longer (should they survive the initial threats of disease such an environment brings of course)is not genetic based (surprise guys! Not genetics from me for once! :rofl I DO think genetics play a part in it, but thats in conjunction with this) But rather management based. "Show fish" "breeder fish" and fish that stay in the commercial system are often subjected to PP baths, HP baths, malachite treatments and all sort of things as preventative measures as a routine thing. As we know, fish exposed to these things on a regular basis tend to not live as long. The longer a fish is in the commercial system as opposed to a home aquarium, the more likely it is to have a high chemical buildup in its system, something these fish really don't purge well, and hence the problems that come with it (which result in the shorter lifespan). Thats just the one theory though.