Brown Algae In Betta Tank?

Vee

So I moved my betta's tank into my room, which later in the morning gets a good bit of direct sunlight for an hour or so.. Aannnd now there's a LOT of algae all over the tank... :doh11:

It's a 5g tank, It has a light that's a bit bigger than it, but the Amazon sword plants seem to be enjoying it.

There's also a shrimp in the tank as well and he picks up the little bits that Albus the betta doesn't grab.

Is there a snail/fish/anything I could put in the tank to help the algae? :( I have one of those magnetic scrapers but it's a little too strong for the little 5g.

I've seen other people put ottos with bettas, but I'm thinking I don't have enough space for one?

some folks use snails but i hear they are messy and also some bettas will eat them. If the Betta doesnt eat the shrimp you might be able to get away with a snail. As to which snail is best, i would not know i have not used snails before

:) Mr. Albus and Arnold the shrimp get along just fine.

I know apple snails need 5g to themselves, and I most definitely don't want the type of snails that reproduce all over the tank! :rofl

I suggest that you temporarily move albus and the shrimp to different container and clean the algae by hand washing it out and when the tank is ready move them back in thats what i did when i once had my betta Harry (RIP) he didnt seem to mind much but your betta and the shrimp get along thats a first for me my betta always ate the shrimp i put in

Some of the algae has started to turn green and now the plants are growing quickly. I'm scared to touch anything, now! :rofl

Guest BigFishLittleFish

just leave it...lol. just clean the front glass and let the algae grow everywhere else... the shrimp love it! and it helps with the water :) algae is a plant too ;)