Steve The Betta In His Ocean

Recently I was without fish for about 4 months and it felt so totally wrong that I had to get just one little tank with a betta... then he got a tank upgrade... now he has friends. And the balance has been restored! Haha. So I thought I'd post a few pictures of my guys :) It's a 23 gal tank with 1 x male betta and 3 x questionable sex otos (help sexing is more than welcome). I got some live plants with the otos too but I haven't had the will power to plant them all yet. One day lol.

Steve's giant tank:

DSCF1758.jpg

The only good photo I've ever got of Steve:

DSCF1748.jpg

One of the little otos going to town on the algae. That rock was spotless in a couple of hours!

DSCF1764.jpg

Despite how it looks, Steve and the otos are about the same size. He's only a little boy :)

DSCF1768.jpg

Haha yeah, they eat like there's no tomorrow. Until this morning I hadn't seen the original colour of my bog wood in years! Steve's getting used to them now. He spent the first day or so chasing them around wondering why I'd so cruelly put something living in his tank that he couldn't eat. He's so used to a diet of mosquito larvae that when he saw the black spot on their tail moving, he kept chasing it until they stopped and stuck to something. Then he had a little tantrum and sort of "stomped" around the tank haha. Funny little guy :heart

Very nice! I love the squiggly marks left by the otos. This is so much like my old tank setup, I had a red betta in a 29 gallon tank with a few otos. The otos didn't last long, since they're such fragile little things and the transition from the LFS to my tank was too much for them I guess. But I also had a hillstream loach and an albino BN pleco. I know what you mean about finally seeing the true color of the driftwood. :rofl

Very nice! I love the squiggly marks left by the otos. This is so much like my old tank setup, I had a red betta in a 29 gallon tank with a few otos. The otos didn't last long, since they're such fragile little things and the transition from the LFS to my tank was too much for them I guess. But I also had a hillstream loach and an albino BN pleco. I know what you mean about finally seeing the true color of the driftwood. :rofl

I read today that the reason most otos die in the first month is because the pet shops don't have enough algae to feed them and don't tend to substitute it with anything, so the majority come to your tank starved. Poor guys. That and the majority are wild caught. At least there's no risk of them running out of algae in my tank. That stone had been in the tank for about 24 hours haha. I forgot how much I loved keeping fish :)

I read today that the reason most otos die in the first month is because the pet shops don't have enough algae to feed them and don't tend to substitute it with anything, so the majority come to your tank starved. Poor guys. That and the majority are wild caught. At least there's no risk of them running out of algae in my tank. That stone had been in the tank for about 24 hours haha. I forgot how much I loved keeping fish :)

Yes, I think it's the wild-caught thing that plays more of a role. :(

I had an otto in my tropical tank who passed on less than a month after I got him too. I didn't realize it was possibly because he was half-starved when I got him. I was inexperienced and wasn't feeding him any extra - now I know better!