Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

Confused About Frozen Protein Outside Of Commercial Food

I always wondered where people got the frozen brine or krill until someone told me I have to order it. With a fish with serious SBD, permanently deflated, I was hoping there was something I could give him until I can get some of the brine or krill. With the commercial food he gets stuck on his side and is miserable so I am trying to find the best foods possible for him until i make gel food for him.

Can I feed chopped up dethawed cooked shrimp. I have some tilapias in my freezer I could cook up? But would either of these work until I get gel food or the other stuff? What about a little bit of tuna from the packets dropped in?

I bought some frozen veggies and want to ask what I should avoid so he doesnt get bloated....

Broccoli is a obv no

Cauliflower?

Asparagas?

Squash?

Carrots?

Edited by Thea

Well, cauliflower is the same species as broccoli, just a different cultivar so if your fish can't handle broccoli the cauliflower won't be good either. The rest should be fine. The tilapia and tuna will be fine, as well as any other fish or frozen food. Does he get SBD with all commercial foods? Even flakes released underwater? They tend to hold less air and expand less than pellets, if that helps...

You can't get frozen brine from your local pet or fish store? All the local places near me carry it. Plus, a lot of online places refuse to ship frozen foods this time of year.

My guys personally love squash. Just steam it in the microwave.

I do lots of spinach, carrots, red peppers, peas, cucumber.

Have you tried making gel food? Even better would be to replace the gelatin with agar agar - I haven't had a floaty fish since. I use sweet water shrimp as protein and wheat germ.

I wouldn't trust getting frozen food shipped. I think you are better off with making gel food, it really is easier than you'd think.

The frozen fish and shrimp are fine if cooked. Same goes for most veggies. My fish don't like carrots at all though, no matter how soft I cook them. Instead they go crazy for steamed spinach and kale, zucchini, cucumbers and diced garlic. And of course peas. :rolleyes:

And with that you have most of the ingredients for some nice gel food. :)