Sign in to follow this  
lb1157@bard.edu

How Long Will The Bbs "keep"?

Hello everyone! It's been a while, and I've been loving my goldies, but unfortunately I'm going back to school soon, and I'm going to have to rehome them into my friend's pond (sad for me, but good for them).

So I have enough bb's for a 40 gallon tank, but I'm only going to take a two-gallon tank with me to school. I'm thinking of getting either a betta or a couple ghost shrimp, something that would only need a really simple, minimal filter. I'm not exactly sure when I would get the inhabitant. Maybe a day, maybe a week. If I take some of my media with me and keep it wet and intermittently aerated, how long will the cycle last?

Also, is it okay to keep a betta in a 2 gallon tank? I've heard differing opinions about the minimum they need.

The cycle will not last more than a couple days without ammonia to feed the cycle. If you cannot get another fish right away, you can feed the cycle. Either use pure ammonia or I have heard of people using shrimp.

Pure ammonia is hard to find. Normally it contains a soapy like agent. To test the bottle of ammonia at the store you should (1) read the ingredients and (2) shake the bottle. If there are soapy bubbles then this is not pure ammonia. :goodluck