Sign in to follow this  
Midnight112x

Feeding Procedure

I am trying to find the best and most efficient way to feed my 3 tanks in the morning and night. If you would like to share how you feed your fish, please do so. My current method is:

I have 3 shot glasses that i use only for fish now. I fill each shot glass with the tank water and place the food in the shot glass. I then let it sit for about 5 minutes. I then dump the food into the tank.

i was thinking about using plastic cups but instead of dumping the food from the shot glass, i would dump into a net. If i use the net i can dump the food further down, which will stop my fish from gulping at the surface every time i walk over to the tank (ideally)

I hear goldies have a memory of a few months, maybe my 7 year old fish can forget the fact that she grew up on flake food for the first 6 years of her life??

Personally, I wouldn't let the food sit for more than 1 minute. Soaking too long will cause the nutrients to escape into the water and the fish won't get it.

The net may or may not help. Fish gulp because they can taste the biofilm left at the surface of the water from the pellets. Using a net will not stop the the tiny layer of film from developing. Plus, unless you can constantly sterilize the net, it will grow bacteria. I say the shot glasses are your best bet.

I agree with Ashlee in that the food is probably soaked well enough in under a minute. When you soak for longer, you take the risk of some of the nutrients from the food leeching out into the water.

As for preventing them from gulping at the surface, this is a worthwhile endeavor. Perhaps you could try the sinking pellet funnel, as described here

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/93714-sinking-pellet-funnel/page__pid__1096910#entry1096910

I also remember reading a thread here a while back saying that when you drop food into the tank, there is always a very thin bio-film layer of food formed at the surface. Our very sensitive piggies can detect and go to the surface for about an hour after that looking for MORE food :rofl

Here's the thread where Fang mentions this protein film at the surface

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/90733-sorry-poo-topic-odd-poo-w-bruce/page__p__1050886__hl__%2Bfood+%2Bprotein+%2Bfilm__fromsearch__1#entry1050886

I trained one of my tanks with the funnel.

The other tanks have HOB filters. I drop the sinking pellets into the waterfall from the filter. The pellets go directly underwater and spread out. I don't have decorations and my tank is bare. This lets all the fish get some. If all the food falls to one spot the giant fish eats it all in one pass. He is a giant food eating vacuum.

I use the shot glass method for soaking the pellets, too!

I also find it useful for fish-sitters - I put each day's food into a shot glass and mark each one with which day to feed it. It seems to be irresistable for fish-sitters to over-feed the fish!

Of course, if I run out of shot glasses before I come back from vacation, I have to use another method!

My most recent fish sitter (my housemate) came home last night with food that he'd saved from his lunch for Fluffy! He said, "I wasn't sure when you were coming home, so I brought Fluffy a treat" Isn't that cute!?! Luckily, he's a well-trained fish sitter (and fish owner) and follows my instructions pretty well. (The treats were a bit of lettuce and a few shreds of carrot). :heart