Allo! What Have We Here?

Helen

• Supporter

whilst i was cleaning my tanks a few months ago, i noticed, (well since we've been bare bottom n i do mean the tanks) some teeth. since finding the first about 3 months ago, i have been keeping an eye out for them.. now, i never expected to find so many to date.. but this is my collection begining 3 months ago till now. and i do see a couple more in the tank, they are too heavy to be sucked up by the python so i have to collect them by hand as i see them.

same teeth, 2 different photos.

43873350.jpg

4c87fe9a.jpg

Does Pork Chop need dentures?

:rofl

Wow, that is quite a lot!! But you know now that you mention the python not sucking them up, I think I've seen the same but I assume they are just pieces of shell since I typically have a few sea shells in the tank that disintegrate quickly due to my soft water.

• Supporter

i would say they'd be teeth chrissy, i have no shells in my tank, only in filters and they're in stocking, so they can't pass through.. not sure if the python collects those, but i know for sure, it fails to collect the teeth, so if you see something white dancing around in the vacuume tube to the python and not making it all the way, i bet it'll be a goldfish tooth.

Nice! I remember when Sakura first posted about those quite a while ago, and I rushed to the tank looking for goldfish teeth. I got my own little collection now and there are at least half a dozen that have already collected in my tank again :D

Since it's bare bottom, and the suction of the gravel vacuum isn't strong enough to suck them up, I always find just about any tooth they lose.

Either way, those are some nice closeups! Thanks for sharing!

And what do your goldies get from the tooth fairy? :angelstaf:

Seriously, though...amazing, fascinating, and sooooo cool. Thanks so much!

• Supporter

Yep goldies sure do have teeth, just not the kind we're used to seeing :)

They're called pharyngeal teeth.

hey chrissy, do you know if the goldfish grow their teeth back? and how many times? because i seem to be finding many in a short period of time, i would hate to think there is something funky going on in my tank and they're all losing their teeth over it as :krazy: as it sounds.. just thought i'd ask.. :blink:

You just love to send me searching the journal articles don't you? ;)

It's an old article but did the job.... http://www.jstor.org/stable/1439449 (hopefully you can view that).

In summary....yes, they have normal tooth replacement as they wear them down. They even note that it's doubtful that teeth in carp remain functional for any considerable length of time (gotta love the old papers and their nice conversational tones :) .

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

• Supporter

You just love to send me searching the journal articles don't you? ;)

It's an old article but did the job....http://www.jstor.org/stable/1439449 (hopefully you can view that).

In summary....yes, they have normal tooth replacement as they wear them down. They even note that it's doubtful that teeth in carp remain functional for any considerable length of time (gotta love the old papers and their nice conversational tones :) ).

thanks chrissy :bighug