Sign in to follow this  
Guest PandaCake

Bought To Be Killed

Guest PandaCake

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine has recently bought herself a baby shubunkin [because her apartment does not allow dogs,cats or birds.] And she has it in what looks like a one gallon tank.

keika_2_by_sephysangel-d46kyb3.jpg

I wasn't with her when she decided to buy this little guy but when she did I was pretty upset. I had told her that these kinds of fish grow to be about a foot long and she didn't seem worried at all. Then she has the nerve to mention she's getting a koi next.

She does NOT have the proper set up. She doesn't know the ph or have any water conditioning to help. There isn't a filter or an airstone set up for the poor thing- she's basically setting it up to die. It makes me feel guilty because I'm telling her she needs at least 20+ and she's just shrugging it off "Oh well. I'll get a bigger tank some day." Which isn't going to happen because she lives in a tiny apartment with her mom. It's upsetting really...There's nothing I can really do but hope that it lives a decent life before it's body becomes stunned and dies from a lack of proper care.

I feel helpless really... :undecided:

as sad as it is, you have done the best you can. unfortunately some people do not want to learn and they do as they please. i hope she leaves the hobby or becomes so emotionally attached to her fish that when it is sick from her horrid fishkeeping she will have a change of heart and do what is necessary.

good on you for trying, but don't beat yourself up for not getting the result you intended.

Guest PandaCake

It is sad and you're right. As mean as it sounds I hope it does too.

Thank you, I'll try my best not to beat myself up about the situation. It's a little hard to

watch though. ):

I know how you feel. And it is so frustrating to try to explain to someone that the living conditions aren't acceptable just to have them shrug it off like its nothing.

Most people just view fish as 'things' to have instead of living, breathing creatures. They view them as disposable and it is depressing. I hate to day it, but you have done all you can do for the poor fishy. I mean, you could always offer to give it a better home but that won't prevent her from running out and buying another. And does she realize that a koi gets what, three feet long?

=Random observation=

I've noticed that the people who shrug off fish care are usually the ones who are psycho about the care-taking of another thing (dogs or children) and will flip their lid if you don't do EXACTLY AS THEY SAY. *sigh* :(

That is terrible :( If she at least had an air stone and would sort of take proper care (cleaning, water conditioner etc), I would suggest trying to convincing her to replace the comet with a female betta or a couple female guppies. But seeing as how she does now will not make it any better with the different fish.

Tell me about it - my friend got two commons in a bowl - no filter, no airstone, no dechlorinator etc. I told her they'd most likely die pretty soon, and if they didn't they wouldn't have a nice or long life. She said she hasn't got room for a bigger tank, plus she's got a friend who's kept a goldfish in a bowl for a couple of years, so it would be fine. Needless to say one has died already ... :( I don't want to start arguments and she knows my opinion and that I'm here if she wants some decent advice, so I guess there's not much more I can do.. :(

Why do they always go for the goldfish?? Fish stores carry loads of other fish suitable for smaller tanks such as this! krazy.gif

I kind of blame Elmo. His fish Dorthy is kept in a bowl, no filtration, no air stone and she looks to be a common. My brother has mentioned to me that Dorthy looks different in every episode. I think we all know why. :(

Oh these stories are way too common :(

My cousin's girlfriend has some pet goldfish in the apartment she is renting at University. They were left there by the previous tenant who asked one of her friend to care for them (they are 3in the apart) Obviously they are single tails - living in a like 4gal with dirty water but thankfully with lots of algae. One has mysteriously turned all white and neither have grown in like 3years. THe girl who is suppose to care for them is a PreMed so obviously has no time. And the others say it isn't their fish.

I know how you feel am in a very similar situation currently where your hands are tied and advise is ignored its shocking that they dont realise what they are doing, you've done your best.

I think advise essentially needs to come from sellers but alas all they are interested is in the sale and a returning customer when that ones dead an endless cycle.

I know how you feel am in a very similar situation currently where your hands are tied and advise is ignored its shocking that they dont realise what they are doing, you've done your best.

I think advise essentially needs to come from sellers but alas all they are interested is in the sale and a returning customer when that ones dead an endless cycle.

I agree - if only they gave the correct advice and didn't sell to those who weren't prepared to give them a proper home, this would happen alot less. But business is business to alot of people :(

Although, I've been in a couple of lfs lately and been surprised and happy by what I heard. I actually heard a guy telling customers all about having a big tank and proper filtration, explaining the nitrogen cycle and such. And when I bought my betta the guy asked all about my set up and if I knew about testing the water and the cycle, plus said recently the RSPCA have been cracking down making sure people give the right advice because so many people have fish that die or get brought back with complaints, so if they don't get it right they'll be shut down!

Why do they always go for the goldfish?? Fish stores carry loads of other fish suitable for smaller tanks such as this! krazy.gif

I kind of blame Elmo. His fish Dorthy is kept in a bowl, no filtration, no air stone and she looks to be a common. My brother has mentioned to me that Dorthy looks different in every episode. I think we all know why. :(

Yeah, it really is sad. You always see those pictures of the kois in fish bowls like it's nothing. And it's funny, because even as a child my mom never let me have a goldfish unless we planned on keeping it in a big fish tank, never a fish bowl.

Also, your comment had to be one of the funniest things I've heard all day about Dorthy lol

I agree, sellers should give the right information, but it is a two way street sadly. We as buyers are responsible to research independently before we buy a living, breathing and feeling creature. The problem here is people consider their 'research' to be asking the guy as they buy the fish, and in most cases he is not qualified to give advice, either never having kept fish himself and not knowing better, uneducated in it, or just plain lazy and wanting to make a sale the same way car dealers (or any dealers!) tend to sometimes. Most sellers complain that it takes 'too much time' to explain when confronted by a more knowledgeable member of the public (or staff!). If so, shops should hand out printed fact sheets to people if they are considering a certain species, or devise some other way of delivering basic info without consuming too many man hours. It's a huge pet peev of mine. ;) It's the reason I turned down a casual job at a pet store awhile back. I won't lower my ethics for sales. :yeah::)

The best thing we can do is try to spread the word about proper (or at least, the minimum needed) care. From what I've read Fang had a bit of a win with her local store by lodging a complaint recently, so their is hope yet guys! If you see a bad situation, do what you can about it. You may not be listened to or even acknowledged, and we have to accept that, but you tried. And sometimes thats all we can do. :)