Cruel Treatment

Geeros

This makes me so angry.

My wife went to visit one of her friends yesterday she was shocked with what she found they have been keeping 2 goldfish in a 15 litre tank they do a water change 50% if lucky they remember once every 2 weeks, the fish are about 4 inches and are so cramped they can hardly move there is no airstone and a tiny internal filter.

They have had them for 4 years and they often get red spots and they are now losing scales, i told my wife to call them a tell them they are being so cruel and this is no way to treat a living creature and informed them they need at least a 20g tank for the first fish then another 10 for the second, they never put any dechlorinator in the wc.

The friend says she does not want them but the husband does she refuses to buy a larger tank and has told him that i will take them but he says they are fine grrrrrr.

Im surprised they have lived so long they have been kept in the garage all this time and just recently been moved to the kitchen due to renovation.

I wish i could lock him in a cage and make him live in his own filth.

Any ideas how i can convince him i have to be careful or he will dig his feet in even harder.

Edited by Geeros

• Supporter

can you bring them around to your house so they can see your set up? perhaps they can admire what you have for your fish and that would be your foot in the door to pursuasion in a conservative way?

I agree with Helen. Many people are amazed when they see a nice setup with pretty, healthy goldfish for the first time. That might even convince his wife to let him have a bigger tank. Considered they spent four years in a 15 liter tank, I am sure that upgrading even to a 20 gallon tank would be a major improvement. The fish are likely stunted and probably won't outgrow that 20 gallon tank.

Another avenue to do along with showing them your set should they need a little push is to print them a pamphlet on goldfish care from a reputable site like the RSPCA. I've found that one works sometimes too, as it gives more of a 'professional' seeming opinion then I do (Being, a young person with what most who are not really into fish would probably perceive as limited experience. it doesn't help that I was a koi breeder before I was a goldfish girl, and people who know this always bring out the "They are not koi, they are goldfish and don't need space" thing either. Urgh. Drives me insane.)

Always remember not to come off as forceful or holier then thou towards them (Post it here instead to vent ;) I do!) otherwise like you said, he will probably dig in his heels. Try to seem polite and helpful, but always stand firm by your knowledge about this. You can only give it your best shot after all! :) Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for replies,

Well returned from holiday and they came for dinner sunday after seeing how my goldie lads are treated and explaining that the red spots his fish are getting is probably ammonia in the blood stream not that they are ready to breed as the pet store informed him lol.

Collect them this saturday my concerns now after living in these conditions for some time i fear the shock of moving them to my 30G quarantine tank might kill them, so was thinking of using there old 15ltr tank and doing 50% WC every day for 7 days with API stress coat the aloe vera should help with slime coat and healing properties will feed them medikoi junior.

Or do you think immediate transfer will be ok they will feel like they have won the lottery when i put them in the 30G tank and after 6 weeks will move them to my 170G tank hehe double lottery win.

Stakos sent you an email concerning IE7.

Edited by Geeros

Here's what I would do. Put their little tank and water in your 30 gallon. Tip the tank over and add just enough clean water so that they are covered. Leave the old tank in there for a few days since it will have bb bacteria on the walls. Cover the tank to keep it dark. That additional space will be scary.

Add an additional gallon of water every few hours until the tank is full. Put in a small filter containing some cycled media as soon as you have enough water depth. They aren't used to a lot of water flow, so stay well below the recommended filter size. Once the tank is full, do a 25% daily water change for a week, and then go to your normal water change schedule.

This is just a suggestion for how to get them to clean water with minimal stress. You can follow many different schedules. But they will not feel like they have won the lottery if you just put them into a much larger tank with totally different water. Goldfish don't like change (unless it involves more food, of course) and you can literally kill them with kindness.

Hiya,

Rescue complete :carrot: your plan worked a treat transfer from this after the poor fella's was living in this 15ltr thing for 4 years..

2011-10-10200000.jpg

The white goldfish does not appear to bad no slime coat at all so using the API stress coat some little red marks here and there

http://s1186.photobu...nt=MOV_0401.mp4

However the orange goldfish is far worse bad film of white over the eyes severe lumps down the sides, scales are pushed out round the belly massive red lumps on the head, eyes pushed out.

http://s1186.photobu...nt=MOV_0396.mp4

They are eating they have only ever had flake so using medikoi junior which i soak for a while then let that drop to the bottom and they will eat it then, they dont seem to take food from the top at present and took a good 4 days to get them used to light they was mostly in very dim light so i increased it every day by covering the light tubes and releasing more light day by day that seems to have gone well and they are now used to it.

Now just need to work out a plan of recovery for the gold one.

Edited by Geeros

Both were living in that tank? Wow....

The white one is super pretty!

I think the orange one has a mix of pop eye, internal infection, and cysts.

You can try and heal him with heat (26/27C water temp), salt (are you familiar on how to salt? I would go up to 0.3 if your tank parameters are good), and medicated food.

Is your tank cycled? Do you have a filter etc? Sorry I didn't have enough time to read the entire post yet.

brb

:)

Both were living in that tank? Wow....

The white one is super pretty!

I think the orange one has a mix of pop eye, internal infection, and cysts.

You can try and heal him with heat (26/27C water temp), salt (are you familiar on how to salt? I would go up to 0.3 if your tank parameters are good), and medicated food.

Is your tank cycled? Do you have a filter etc? Sorry I didn't have enough time to read the entire post yet.

brb

:)

Hiya thanks for reply this is my qaurantine tank and is fully cycled used media from other tank but no fish have been in it for a while been running without fish in it for about 8 weeks, so i will expect an increase of ammonia levels now, will do water tests each day and 20/50% WC if required with Stress Coat.

yeah he is in a bad way and have no experience of salting unfortunately.

Wow, what they were living in is shocking. How could they not realize that is way too small? :(

It's great you rescued them, they really needed it.

Yeah totally wrong, no life living in that thing just hope i can get the gold one recovered going to be a hard trip for him i think still he is in better hands now with the advise from all the people on koko's at least he has a chance now.

:clapping:

Also please be aware there is a trojan virus on photobucket so dont click on the congratulations popup, i have reported it to them via email.

Edited by Geeros

Oh wow if i had fish like that i would be giving them the red carpet treatment! ;) lovely fish. go ahead and make a post in the 911 or D/D are they both comets? never seen a white goldie like that before. Glad they are free from cruelty Thanks to you 2 more goldfish in the world can have a better life i congratulate you sir!

• Admin

Differently post in the DD area... The orange fish has (Im guessing) tumors and/or cysts. Its got the will to live... wow. Im impressed living like that and how much energy they have now.

:thumb:

Oh wow if i had fish like that i would be giving them the red carpet treatment! ;) lovely fish. go ahead and make a post in the 911 or D/D are they both comets? never seen a white goldie like that before. Glad they are free from cruelty Thanks to you 2 more goldfish in the world can have a better life i congratulate you sir!

Thanks mate, just need to get him healthy again all i care about what line of treatment is needed apart from caring qaulity conditions and above all love.

you can find a salting link in my signature :)

then you should try and get a hole of medicated foods like Jungle antibacterial.

But start a DD thread with all your water info etc first :)