Sign in to follow this  
Chrissy_Bee

My Fish May Get Trained!

A friend of mine is becoming a certified clicker trainer (it's a method usually used for dogs). Part of her training involves teaching an animal other than a dog to do a trick. She has no other pets so she's going to use one of mine, maybe my fish! Or if not, then my turtle. Either way, when the time comes I'll be sure to post a video :D

If I may make a request - teach the turtle! :please

I have to admit, I'd like to see my old grumpy turtle learn something too :rofl

For anyone who's interested though, here's a fish being clicker trained

I LOVE this method of training (it's just operant conditioning), it's what I use for my dogs with so much success. People often don't get it at first. I showed a friend not long ago and he laughed at me because Prince just ignored me at first (because I was waiting for him to 'offer' the behavior). But when he do what I wanted and I clicked/treated, my friend totally got it and was amazed, haha.

Goober needs to get off his lazy shell and do something :rofl

I wanna see the results of this regardless of the participants! :)

Goober needs to get off his lazy shell and do something :rofl

Agreed! He's been free loading for far too long now :rofl

I was telling my boyfriend about this, and he told me that if I got one, Ronnie the fish would end up clicker training me to bring him food.

I was telling my boyfriend about this, and he told me that if I got one, Ronnie the fish would end up clicker training me to bring him food.

:rofl I can see goldfish doing that for sure!

Some animals do turn the tables. They realize that if they do something, they get a treat. So guess what? They'll do it non-stop, hahahaha. That's when you put a command on the behavior so you only get it on your terms. I don't know how that would work for a fish, a light tap on the glass maybe? :)

Very cool! If this happens, let us know how it works out! That's very interesting :D

This is going to start happening this weekend!!! :D

We've decided to go with the turtle. I told my friend last night that he bites and she said "oh, so I'm dealing with an aggressive animal?" :rofl (joking of course!)

I don't know what we'll train him to do. First she has to observe his behavior. I think it will be something fairly simple, probably touch a target. I'll be sure to get videos though!

This is so cool. Can't wait to see your turtle do some tricks :)

I can totally see how this would work-my fish know it's time to eat when I tap on the glass. Sometimes it takes a new fish a while to get the hang of it,but they eventually catch on. I think anything repetitious with a reward like that brings about the desired behavior response-eventually :ehh

I look forward to hearing how this goes, Chrissy. What a great project!

I can totally see how this would work-my fish know it's time to eat when I tap on the glass. Sometimes it takes a new fish a while to get the hang of it,but they eventually catch on. I think anything repetitious with a reward like that brings about the desired behavior response-eventually :ehh

:exactly It's classical conditioning. Something happens, immediately followed by something good. It doesn't take them long to make the connection!

Teach it to get the newspaper!

Because everyone loves reading yesterday's paper :rofl

Hey Teach Charlie not to spit water at me :lol:please

Teach it to get the newspaper!

Because everyone loves reading yesterday's paper :rofl

LMAO,Fang :rofl3

Hey Teach Charlie not to spit water at me :lol:please

Video ,PLEASE :pease:

Edited by kukana

Dont know if I can but Ill try :thumb:

@ Koko, Grace squirts at me too!

@Chrissy, teach him to swim upside down! Houdini is full of tricks! His last trick is climbing up the divider and doing backflips (accidentally) to grab attention and get a treat! You should see him shaking to climb up, cutest thing EVER! He also tries to stand on 2 legs on his giant palm tree! ahahha