Sign in to follow this  
colley614

Feeding Fancy Goldifsh

Just wondered what you guys think would be the best food to feed baby Orandas or Ranchus? I was thinking that feeding them pellets, maybe Hikari Oranda would be a good start. I was thinking of Bloodworm, would Brine Shrimp be good or are they too small? (I've never Shrimp.) Some veg also. Please descuss

Just wondered what you guys think would be the best food to feed baby Orandas or Ranchus? I was thinking that feeding them pellets, maybe Hikari Oranda would be a good start. I was thinking of Bloodworm, would Brine Shrimp be good or are they too small? (I've never Shrimp.) Some veg also. Please descuss

A varied diet consisting of all of what you've mentioned above is really good. Saki Hikari purple bag, Hikari Lionhead, Omega One, and NLS are all great types of pellets. Blood worms are especially good for wen development. Also, instead of, or in addition to pellets, you can also make gel food so that you can use fresh ingredients and control what they get. :)

Cooked de-shelled peas are great, as are blanched veggies like spinach :)

i use a combination of flakes, pellets, freeze dried blood worms, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and peas. In my opinion the frozen foods are ideal for me (out of those) because they sink the fastest. also, my goldies go nuts for them. The brine shrimp is tiny and even my smallest fish love them. Its fun to watch them go for the frozen food.

Gel food i have nott ried yet but it is very popular here

If i had to ditch any of mine i currently use it is the freeze dried bloodworms. they never sink. Frozen bloodworms do the job

I feed Hikari Lionhead as my staple food. I will be switching to Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish Color Enhancing in one more feeding. I also supplement bloodworms, brine shrimp, peas, and gel food. I feed the same foods to every goldfish and I have almost every basic kind.

What I meant was I've never seen baby brine shrimp. I feed my commons pellets, frozen bloodworm and frozen veg. I also feed them peas on the odd occassion. I have made gel once but made far too much and most went into the bin. I've got a week left to quaruntine my new commons for my pond then I'm thinking of getting a couple of baby Orandas and a couple of baby Ranchus that are about 3 inches long in my lfs. I want to feed them a diet that will bring them on to be big fish, I understand it can be in the genes but I want to give the best diet possible to reach their potential. I've seen pictures of some of the fish on here and I'd love to get my fish as big as the ones on here. I'm thinking of doing a feeding schedule i.e. Monday 6am pellets. 4pm bloodworm. 10pm gel Tuesday...etc. I did it when I was going the gym and pretty much stuck to it so I'm sure I'll be able to do it for my fish to give them a good varied diet without it being the same old. I feel sorry for fish that get fed the same old flake day in, day out. If we got the same food 3 times a day everyday we would get bored of it an loose our appetite.

What I meant was I've never seen baby brine shrimp. I feed my commons pellets, frozen bloodworm and frozen veg. I also feed them peas on the odd occassion. I have made gel once but made far too much and most went into the bin. I've got a week left to quaruntine my new commons for my pond then I'm thinking of getting a couple of baby Orandas and a couple of baby Ranchus that are about 3 inches long in my lfs. I want to feed them a diet that will bring them on to be big fish, I understand it can be in the genes but I want to give the best diet possible to reach their potential. I've seen pictures of some of the fish on here and I'd love to get my fish as big as the ones on here. I'm thinking of doing a feeding schedule i.e. Monday 6am pellets. 4pm bloodworm. 10pm gel Tuesday...etc. I did it when I was going the gym and pretty much stuck to it so I'm sure I'll be able to do it for my fish to give them a good varied diet without it being the same old. I feel sorry for fish that get fed the same old flake day in, day out. If we got the same food 3 times a day everyday we would get bored of it an loose our appetite.

This is a sound plan. The only thing I would recommend AGAINST is freeze-dried stuff.

When you say freeze dried do you mean the stuff you buy from the freezer for your LFS. I started buying this stuff because I thought it would be better due to it being treated by Gamma rays for pathogens. I can buy live bloodworm and daphs. I wouldn't mind even growing my own brine shrimp in a small tank and feeding fresh veg.

No no. I meant the stuff that were flash frozen and then dried. These are usually in bottles on shelves near the pellet food, and you want to avoid them. The FROZEN blood worms and whatever else you've been buying from the freezer is great!

Don't buy live food because they could carry parasites. If you grow your own to feed them, that would be fantastic, but the frozen stuff is fine also :)

Freeze dried is a non refrigerated dried food. Usually comes in container on the shelf with the other food.

Sorry to steal this thread here, but why are the freeze dried bloodworms no good? I have never tried them, but I didn't realize that they weren't recommended, just curious why :)

Sorry to steal this thread here, but why are the freeze dried bloodworms no good? I have never tried them, but I didn't realize that they weren't recommended, just curious why :)

Tithra, my freeze dried blood worms do not sink, At all... no matter how ling i soak them. Any other reason why, i could not tell you. I will not buy them again.

The problem with freeze dried food is that there are concerns that it doesn't retain its nutritional values after some period of time. In addition, freeze dried food can contribute to floatiness and/or constipation. Moreover, as with any floating food, it will encourage surface gulping.

Good to know! Thank you for the info! :)

The problem with freeze dried food is that there are concerns that it doesn't retain its nutritional values after some period of time. In addition, freeze dried food can contribute to floatiness and/or constipation. Moreover, as with any floating food, it will encourage surface gulping.

Why wouldn't FD food retain it's nutrition for as long as, or longer than frozen food? Just wondering...

What do you mean by baby oranda or ranchu. Do you mean fry or just a small sized fish?

Why wouldn't FD food retain it's nutrition for as long as, or longer than frozen food? Just wondering...

To tell you the truth, this is something that some members of this forum believe, along with flakes. That's why I only put that there are concerns.

As for me, the reason I don't choose freeze dried foods have more to do with the floatiness and the surface gulping. This I've seen personally.

[

As for me, the reason I don't choose freeze dried foods have more to do with the floatiness and the surface gulping. This I've seen personally.

I second that. i bought this freeze dried stuff and it feels like it is filled with air. It never ever sinks. It says "san francisco bay brand " on the label.

I was thinking that feeding them pellets, maybe Hikari Oranda would be a good start.

Hikari foods are good, but Hikari Oranda is floating pellets -- I'd recommend using Hikari Lionhead or Saki-Hikari instead, which are both sinking pellets. If you've already bought the Oranda variety, try pre-soaking it and then squeezing the air out of each pellet to get it to sink. ;)

If you do buy the freeze dried kind is to add it to gel food, this way it can absorb more liquid. I had to do this once cause I bought the wrong kind :lol:o