Sign in to follow this  
c_ramkalawan

Help- White Circles Around Eyes

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?0

[*]Nitrite Level?0

[*]Nitrate level?<20 ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API test kit

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 46 gal running over 2 years

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 70 aquaclear and 2 internal cannister filters

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? About once a week 30 - 50 percent

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? Two days ago - 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish @3.5 inches, 1 @ 4 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stress Coat

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Oranda and Lionhead gold, green peas, oranges occasionally

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White circles around both eyes on my 4 inch oranda. The circles are in the socket area and appear to be swollen

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

Hi, this morning I notices that my largest oranda has large white swollen circles around his two eyes. Is this the beginning of popeye? Please help I don't know what to do.

It does sound like it could be pop eye. Is it possible for you to get a photo?

well, it looks like your tank is cycled which is the main thing.. but your weekly water changes need to improve. the nitrates are high because your fully stocked and not changing enough water. you need to change at least 50% per week.. so if you change 50-75% per week and really clean the tank when doing so, ie vacuuming any gravel and scrubbing ornaments (each week) things like this will happen less.

do you have a qt tank? if you can set this fish up in a qt and gradualy increase salt to 0.3% that should take care of the popeye

can you post pics of the eyes so that we can help to determine if it is actually popeye?

oops, sorry chirssy, didn't see you there :rolleyes:

Hi, I do have a 15 gallon QT tank. How many teaspoons of salt would be equivalent to 0.3% in there? I am at work right now thus why I didn't get to post any pictures... will take some as soon as I get home. Also how long am I leaving him in the treatment tank for?

ok.. it needs to be gradually increased. so 0.1% to start... for this, you will need 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. so 10 teaspoons dissolved in tank water on a slow simmer then allowed to cool and just add. 12 hours later, repeat the process, and then 12 hours after that, repeat again. that will bring you to 0.3%.

when you do a water change, you need to remember that you're replacing 3 teaspoons per gallon of salt only for the water volume you have removed.

so if you do a 50% water change in the QT of 10 gallons, you will need to add back 15 teaspoons of salt as that's how much you will be removing.

please ensure the salt is pure salt, if you don't have proper aquarium salt, you need to choose one that is pure and does not have any anti caking agents.

*notice i mention teaspoon and NOT tablespoons.

Edited by stakos

Ok thank you so much, I have proper aquarium salt.

I will begin the treatment this afternoon.

please do provide us with photos first so that we can be 100% sure it's popeye.

Hi, I will take pictures as soon as I get home to post.

While browsing some of the other topics posted though I noticed pictures posted by charlie goldfish in his post entitled "Goldfish Skin Bags & Fluid Around Eyes". His 2nd and 3rd images posted show white rings around the right eye of his fishy that look very similar to the ones around my goldie's eyes.

well, i don't see much for popeye, and if it is, it's only the begining. what concerns me the most via your pics is that growth like thing that is coming from the fish's mouth.. what is that? it looks like a kind of tumor? can you explain that a little more so i have a better understanding?

I hate to say it but the photos need to be clearer for the most accurate assessment.

Hi,

The pics of my fish are only numbers 1-6 in the album. He doesn't have tumors, Just white rings around his eyes

The other ones you are seeing is of another fish I had a long time ago

ah.. ok..

as martha said, and i indicated somewhat, the pictures are a little too blurry, the third pic shows that there could be popeye, but fish are known to have normal grey rings around their eye or eyes particularly when they're looking left to right, up or down..

if you can see a definate fluid ring around the eye(s) then i recommend you salt..

but if you would like more accurate advice, please try to post clearer pics of the affected area.

It's almost midnight here so it's hard to take better pictures right now =[ I will try to get some in the morning.

There are definitly fluid rings around his eyes because I watch him carefully everyday to make sure nothing is wrong. Yesterday the area around his eyes was orange like the rest of him and this morning it looks like someone glued white spectacles to his face :(:( it's really freaking me out because I've never dealt with popeye before.

I just added the .1% salt to the QT tank, so will see if there is any change in the morning.

ok.. well 0.1% is pretty mild, so there is no issue, can only do more good than harm at this stage.. night to ya!

Guys.. Its popeye.... Its just like my Dede had

popeye.jpg

yea it is poor guy.

you can raise the salt and do frequent water changes. keep an eye that he doesn't start swelling up :)

Ok how long do I treat with the salt at .3% for though? Also other than aquarium salt which I am going to run out of soon can I use 100% sea salt?

As long as the salt contains absolutely no additives or anti-caking agent. I use Morton's Canning & Pickling salt. I recently learned that because the Morton's salt is finer than aquarium salt, you actually only use 3/4th the amount you would use for aquarium salt.

I hope this is useful to you :)

Your cheapest and perfectly sound option is Morton's Canning and Pickling salt though now I see you are from Trinidad so I don't know if you can get Morton's salt. This is what is looks like in case that helps Morton's Canning Salt

Give her at least 3 days in the .3% salt and clean, clean, clean water, popeye is generally caused by poor water quality even the slightest spike in nitrates can cause popeye in some fish.

Yup I highly doubt that we have that type of salt in Trinidad but I will still check the supermarket just in case.

Good news I think the rings around his eyes are already looking a bit smaller :)

Fingers crosses he's on the way to recovery

Ok how long do I treat with the salt at .3% for though? Also other than aquarium salt which I am going to run out of soon can I use 100% sea salt?

My suggestion is to post frequent pictorial updates on here so that those who are guiding you can give you input on when to cease or dial down the salt. This is best, since there is no fixed time frame for each unique situation. Having said that, I don't think it will be long, given the frequent water changes :)

Any sodium chloride (Kosher, sea, aquarium) that does not contain additives or anti-caking agent is good. The thing you'll need to keep in mind is that the salt should be dissolved prior to adding to the tank.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery :)

:goodpost