Sign in to follow this  
Acro

Oranda's Wen Looks Unhealthy

I just now found this thread and wanted to wish you and krang well and speed recovery :)

Hey Martha and shellbell4ever, and everyone else,

I left this post hanging cause it was too sad for me to write it. But I am glad you (Martha and shellbell4ever) inquired about Krang. I needed the little bump.

I don't remember what day I took these pictures, but these were taken a few days after my last post.

Notice how the pits are deeper and there is more pink area. Also notice the red dot that appeared.

rd2_.jpg

Notice how there is more white between the bumps, especially between the red dot and the pink pits.

rd3_.jpg

Notice, by the front of her eye, it is turning pink on the flesh there too.

rd4_.jpg

rd8_.jpg

So, I ended up not using the Jungle antibacterial food, I read, right there on the label, that it can cause cancer and there was no way I was going to feed that to my fish.

Even though I meant to move Krang into a qt tank, I hesitated to do so for several days. I just felt, in my gut, that I shouldn't move her, even though that was the logical thing to do. So I waited and on that Saturday the MetroMeds arrived. That night I decided to start the metromeds, Hp Krang's wen where the pits were (with a cotton swab as instructed on Goldfish Connection), and move her to a Qt tank. Krang ate up the metromeds, eager as always, even sick she loved to eat. Some time later, I got the hp and cotton swabs. I poured some of the hp into a dish then placed the cotton swabs in the dish. I kept a cup handy to put the used swabs in after they were used on her wen. I then laid down a towel in front of the main tank and placed the dish and cup on it. I had a bucket with tank water next to me so that I could place Krang in there after, to wash off some of the hp and to move her to the 10 gallon qt tank I had ready. I was nervous but I kept a steady hand. I opened the tank as if to feed them, and as normal Krang came up to eat. I scooped her out in both my hands. She did not struggle much, she never did when I had to handle her in the past (very few times). I sat on the towel on the floor and held her in one hand. I used the other hand to hold the cotton swab and I started to clean the pits in the wen. I was afraid to put on too much hp and I was afraid to use too little. When I pulled the cotton swab away, it was pink with blood. The gentle pressure of the cotton swab caused her wen to bleed. I would dip her in the bucket of tank water now and then to help rinse off the hp and to give her a chance to catch her breath. I swabbed around the wen on any other places that looked like they needed it. When I felt it was enough, I placed Krang into the qt tank. She seemed ok and that was it for the night. I stayed up late worried about my fishy.

The next day I woke up and went to feed Krang the metromeds. I put the food in and she did not come to eat. I left the food in and hoped she would eat them later. No luck. I decided to offer some peas to get her started eating, hoping she would then eat some metromeds. Krang showed no interest in eating the peas. A bad sign. A few hours later and krang was breathing differently and slightly on her side. Maybe a half hour later and Krang was still.

That was that Sunday. I was weepy the three days later and as I type this, I am once more. I miss my fish baby.

Isis (Krang's tankmate) is fine. Eating the last of the metromeds (ends today). He is mopey though, he just hovers by the spot where Krang was last, swims slowly around the tank now and then, then back to that spot. I set up a 20 gallon temporary tank that I will move him into today. I already bleached out the 10 gallon qt tank Krang was in and a few other things. Once I move Isis, I will bleach out the big tank and then set it up all new. I want to get Isis a new friend soon, he needs the company. If I can't find a big fish locally, I will order one from RainGarden. I don't mind spending the money, I would have spent more on a fish vet (and I actually found one a few miles from my house, how crazy is that. I even made an appointment for that Monday, but we didn't make it that far).

So that is the end of the story. I thank you all for trying to help and for the kind words. I hope this post and the pictures can help others in the future. I don't really know what it was that Krang had unfortunately (If the fish vet is willing, I may try and get her to look at Krang's body and tell me what she may have had). If your fish has something like what Krang had, please feel free to message me. At the very least, I can give you moral support, can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you about the mistakes I made and what not to do.

Much love all. Now go spend some time with your fish, give them a treat or something nice and tell them it's from Krang.

I"m so sorry to hear this, it's clear how much you cared about Krang :( :( :( :(

I think bleaching everything is a good plan. It's a pain to have to restart the cycle, etc. but well worth it if it means saving your remaining fish :heart

I'm so sorry for your loss, Acro. Krang was much loved by you, and anyone reading your posts can feel that. You did everything you could to help her. RIP Krang!

So sorry to heart about Krang's passing. :heart:hug

I'm very sorry for your loss Acro.

I am so beyond sorry. Krang was a beautiful fish and clearly well cared for.

This New Brought tears to my eyes I can only imaging how you must have felt :( and can also see how loved this special fish was :) I also agree bleaching is the best idea for now :) please keep us posted on your progress and give your sis a special treat as well :) I will be doing that with my babies in honer of Krang :) May she R.I.P. :(

Aww I just went looking for this topic to see how Krang was doing. I'm sorry for your loss :(

Sorry i did not see this post in time for Krang. What he had looked to be septicemia. It is an bacterial infection of the blood stream. Although was told not to comment on this thread because have only been keeping goldfish for less than a year. Fish disease is fish disease reguardless of what fish it is. I have seen this many times in goldfish and other fish. The best cure for it is mixing seachem kanaplex in some frozen food with some seachem focus to bind it together. Feed in food and watch the red streaking disappear. The holes in the head i do not believe to have been HITH i am a very avid discus keeper have seen it a lot. A bad septicemia infection will cause fin rot and ulcers. I believe the holes in the wen are ulcers from the bacterial infection.

Edited by Patti