Sign in to follow this  
yamilovemyfishies

Fungus? I'm Not Too Sure.

Hi everyone!I know its been a while since you've heard from me but I've got an issue. Hamlet I think has a patch of fungus on her tail. It is white and fuzzy, it has not spread to Midnight but im getting worried. I've ghanged 50% of the water already no change in her. Checked pH levels aand ammonia levels all perfect. So I dont know what couldcause this, I have been feeding them peas on sundays, flakes and pro-gold vise versa during the week. They have eaten these brands before and now all of a sudden this fungus patch springs up! I have tried Melafix, no impact on hammy at all. So I was thinking maybe to take her out hold her and do a direct treatment to her fungus maybe that will help im not too sure at this point. Im worried also, please can you help me and try to find a way to resolve this Fungus problem. I will try to posta picture soon, Im away at my In-laws I saw my fish yesterday, sister is taking care of goldies for me. By Wednesday their should be a pic posted thx.

I'm sure the water is perfect, but would you mind answering these questions so that we can make sure that we are making the right suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

[*]Ammonia Level?0

[*]Nitrite Level?1

[*]Nitrate level?2

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?7.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?7.1

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?Freshwater master test kit

[*]Water temperature?71

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?25gal. running for 1year approx.

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?Whisper EX 70

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?Every week 50% once a year 100%

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much?yesterday 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?2 fish Hamlet 21/2in. Midnight 2in.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Nutrafin Plus, Ammolock, Ph up (if necessary),golfish protection.

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Peas only on sundays, progold and fish flakes progold one day and flakes the other.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?no

[*]Any medications added to the tank?melafix

[*]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Melafix yesterday after water change.

Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fungus not too sure yet.

no

Well as i said you guys are going to have to wait for some pics cause im away right now. So can you at least give me somehelpful information. thx!

I hope you aren't offended, but your water parameter is not perfect. In fact, having a nitrite reading of 1 is extremely dangerous, and likely contributes to major stress to your fish. Stress in turn weakens the fish's defense, lowering its natural immunity.

My suggestion for you before all else is to do two 80% back to back water changes to bring nitrites down to close to zero. Then, you must check your parameters daily because it seems like you are having some sort of cycle bump/crash because you are seeing nitrites.

When we have pics I'm sure we can be more helpful.

Good luck :)

Fungus is a secondary infection that occurs after some sort of damage, usually, occurs. Maybe Hamlet got a scrape from a decoration or played a bit rough with someone else. So, check your decorations to make sure you have no rough edges. As far as rough play, well, not much you can do about that except separate the fish, which may be extreme for just one incident and really you'd only do for an ongoing situation. There doesn't have to be that much bad bacteria in the water for a cut or scrape to get infected and grow fungus, though, so if you're certain things are really clean, it's just one of those things. But, as said, your high nitrite level isn't going to help things.

Setting up a qt tank for Hamlet and salting the tank to .1% or .2% should do the trick, though. Just keep him in there until the fungus is all gone. You can do an HP swab of the area first, but just once as it actually removes the slime coat and any dead layer(s) of skin in the swabbed area. This will help too.

Couple of comments on your questions:

[*]Ammonia Level?0

[*]Nitrite Level?1 Nitrite level of 1 is fairly high. I would suggest doing larger, daily water changes until you can get rid of your nitrites.

[*]Nitrate level?2 If your tank has been set up for a year, what caused this bump?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?7.4

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?Freshwater master test kit

[*]Water temperature?71

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?25gal. running for 1year approx.

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?Whisper EX 70

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?Every week 50% once a year 100%

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much?yesterday 50% As said above, I would do larger, daily water changes until you can get rid of your nitrites.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?2 fish Hamlet 21/2in. Midnight 2in.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Nutrafin Plus, Ammolock, Ph up (if necessary),golfish protection. Ph UP is not very stable or reliable. If you need to buffer your pH and KH, I would strongly suggest going for a good akaline buffer rather than pH Up. And when you use a buffer, you need to use it regularly. "If necessary" may create a very unstable situation that could result in a big crash.

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Peas only on sundays, progold and fish flakes progold one day and flakes the other.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?no

[*]Any medications added to the tank?melafix Melafix will do nothing for the fungus. Melafix only encourages new skin growth. If you're attempting to address a bacterial infection and wish to use this group of products, you need to use Pimafix. That is for bacterial infections, but salt is cheaper and will treat just as well as both Melafix and Pimafix.

[*]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Melafix yesterday after water change.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fungus not too sure yet.

no

Edited by Lynda Von G

I agree with what has been said before. Having 1 nitrite one day after a 50% water change is a really bad thing. You sure that's the correct result? Also, 2ppm nitrate? My test kit chart has 0, 5, 10, 20 etc as result. Did you mean 20?

You might want to re test before doing the big water change, to be sure about what the parameters are :)

Lynda is absolutely right about the pH up. That stuff is crap, sorry. I used to use it with my snails in their baby snail growout tub, because my pH is kind of low. It increased the pH, but the next day half of my snails tried to climb out of the darn tub. The bottom of the tub was full of weird crumbs.

I did some research and figured out that these crumbs are from the pH up. The stuff did raise the pH, but not much later it kept crashing, causing even my baby snails to try to escape the horrible water.

What I am doing now is a combination of crushed coral and Seachem Gold Buffer. I keep a small bag of coral in my filters, and during every water change I add HALF a dose of the buffer. Ever since this keeps my pH at around 8.0 :)

Okay I just arrived at my house so, now I will do the 80% back to back water change. Well I dont have any other decorations in the tank then a Amazon Sword. So nothing that would really cause the fungus, and Hamlet has finally stopped chasing Midnight around, and I know that Midnight doesnt chase hamlet around. I have to set up the qt tank for Hamlet, and go out and buy some aquarium salt for her tank.I just did one more test before changing the water and the results are,

[*]Ammonia Level?0

[*]Nitrite Level?0

[*]Nitrate level?5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4

Sorry about the confusion of yesterday, I just get dizzy sometimes because of the diabetes, I really apologize. So now the readings are correct double checked on it so now we have the exact readings. But Fang you are right about the pH up, everytime I used to put it in my fish would start acting weird and hamlet would splash water all over the place. now i know better not to buy that anymore.

Now Lydia, not to be ignorant or anything like that, what exactly does HP do and this is available in pet stores right?

HP = hydrogen peroxide found at any drug store, supermarket, etc

Hi Yami. The readings are MUCH MUCH better :)

Lynda is referring to hydrogen peroxide.

As for doing the HP swab or anything else other than the WC, I would suggest waiting until you've uploaded a pic. Given the discussions about pH up being a trouble maker, I'm wondering if this isn't a pH that is messing with slimecoat. Regardless, a pic will be great in helping to decide what to do after that nice big water change :)

Alright well I tried toattempt to find a camera to take a pic and somehow is mysteriously vanished! I need to start asking questions...... :glare: And also thank you Martha and dnalex for telling what HP is. Well another thing to pick up if I see it. Well lets hope for the best for little Hammy!

I agree that you should wait on the HP. Fungus is pretty rare in fish and is generally caused by extensive time spent in very poor water quality. A picture would be best in helping us help your fish. This could be a myriad of things from a pH crash, to a thickened slime coat due to stress to a fungal infection.

........ and Hamlet has finally stopped chasing Midnight around

But Fang you are right about the pH up, everytime I used to put it in my fish would start acting weird and hamlet would splash water all over the place. now i know better not to buy that anymore.

Now Lydia, not to be ignorant or anything like that, what exactly does HP do and this is available in pet stores right?

"Hamlet was chasing Midnight around." I agree with Alex that the pH issues could very well have caused the problem and pictures will help us be able to decipher whether what you're seeing is fungus or sloughing slime coat, but I couldn't help but notice this statement you wrote. When there's chasing going on, it doesn't matter who's the chaser and who's the chasee, both can potentially get hurt. Even though you only have one plant, he could've scraped up against the filter uptake tube, for instance. But, while it's nice to know what caused the cut or scrape that invited the fungus, the only important thing is treating it.

Now, if your readings really are correct, you don't need to do any additional or extra large water changes. Your readings and water are fine. Now, don't get me wrong, you can pretty much never change too much water, but I'm just saying, with readings like that, they don't require big changes. Just keep testing though!

Everyone explained what HP was, (sorry for not using the full word! I usually do try to say hydrogen peroxide at least once before beginning to refer to it as HP, so I apologize) but you asked what it did and where you can get it. First, no, you can't get it in pet stores. You will find it in drugstores right next to the rubbing alcohol and probably around the cut and scrapes ointments and bandaids too. What hydrogen peroxide does is pulls up any particles in the wound and kills a layer of skin where the damage is. This is why you want to swab with HP only once. If you do it again, it will remove any new skin that has begun to form and reopen the wound. So, this is why people are saying DON'T do an HP swab if the problem is sloughing slime coat from a pH problem and with which I agree.

Now, whether it's fungus or damaged slime coat from a pH problem, .....oooorrrr, fungus on damaged slime coat from a pH problem, salt should help things, BUT! If you ARE having a pH problem, I need to know whether it's from your sole use of the pH Up or if there are other problems because salt could crash a pH/KH/GH that's on the edge. Your pH out of the tap is borderline and when it's lower like that, I'm really curious to know what the KH and GH is. So, I would really like you to get a KH and GH test and give us the numbers on those tests before you go ahead and use salt. Now, you could go ahead and treat Hamlet with a combination of Pimafix and Melafix. These are mild and should address the problems without affecting your pH. Don't forget to remove any carbon if you use that in your filter media if you choose to treat with these two options.

Edited by Lynda Von G

I just want to reiterate what Maceo said:

True fungal infections in aquariums are VERY VERY RARE.

More likely is that this is a small bacterial infection. Fixing your water should fix the problem.

I have great news guys!! Well after the melafix and pimafix treatment, the fungus has gone away!!! The day I came home it was very small so I couldnt take a proper picture of it so yay!!! Its gone whoohoo!! :bingo::bingo: