Sign in to follow this  
poetholmes

Basic Meal Size For Young Goldfish

I've learned a lot from the posts in this section, regarding the types of food one should feed goldfish. But, I am still not sure how much food is enough. My comet is perhaps 3-1/2 inches long and the new fantail, less than an inch, I think. If I give them the amount similar to the size of their eyes, as someone told me to do, they eat it within 30 seconds. Isn't the rule that the fish should finish within three or four minutes? If that is so, then should I feed them more than I am? I want them to grow well, but, of course, I don't want to overfeed them. I also have recently started using floating pellets. I soak both types of food, by the way. They like the pellets, but are much slower at finshing each piece. I have tried giving them 10, then more, like 15-18 pellets and they like them. But it took almost 10 minutes for them to finish. Too much or is that ok? The bigger comet does eat a lot more than the fantail, but he doesn't keep the fantail from eating. The little guy is holding its own and getting to the food fairly quickly. Neither has had any floating issues either.

One more question: is it better to feed young goldfish smaller meals twice a day, rather than once?

Thanks for your input!

What size are the pellets and what brand?

What else are you feeding them?

I feed young fish smaller meals more times a day.

I never go by the time it takes them to eat.

A good rule of thumb is to feed them small meals 2-3 times a day. I feed mine enough at one feeding where they'll clean up everything within a 1-2 minute period. Anything over that and you're overfeeding them. Stay with them as they feed and watch how much they'll clean up in a 1-2 minute time frame. Remember that it's always best to underfeed than overfeed. Cold blooded mammals don't need as much food to sustain as warm blooded mammals do. Overfeeding will lead to digestive and swim bladder issues as well as contribute to excessive waste which will lead to water fouling. Keep them hungry....it's not going to hurt them at all. :thumb:

Oh, also when you watch them, see who is eating what. Especially given the size difference.

What size are the pellets and what brand?

What else are you feeding them?

I feed young fish smaller meals more times a day.

I never go by the time it takes them to eat.

I feed them TetraFin flakes and TopFin floating variety pellets, a blend of growth, color and staple pellets for small and medium goldfish. They are two sizes, although they all seem very small to me. I noticed that some soften up right away and others stay firm. Sounds like I should feed at least a couple of times a day.