Sign in to follow this  
npila1

Aquaclear Foam And Biomax

The manual says that both the foam and biomax (ceramic rings) should be replaced every 3 months. I'm definitely not planning to throw out my biomax in 3 months (or ever?!), but is 3 months reasonable for the foam (given that I will be rinsing the foam every couple of weeks)? How often do you replace your aquaclear foams?

I never replace them (either the sponge or biomax) until they are falling apart. I still have my original year old AC sponges in my Fluval canister. And the biomax is mixed in with the Fluval bio media.

You mean the big sponge block? I never replace those, just rinse them out really well at each water change. You won't disrupt too much of the beneficial bacteria by rinsing them in old tank water at each water change. But they're expensive, and there's no need to replace them every three months, let alone every year as long as they aren't falling apart.

And yeah, don't ever throw out the ceramic rings. They want you to replace all this stuff so often just so they can make more money.

I have some sponges that have been in my tank since December. They are still holding strong :) you can keep the for a while.

I never throw away the ceramic rings. As for the foam, like the others I just rinse it in tank water with each cleaning. Sometimes if one is really old and gunky, I'll toss it, but only if I have enough biomedia in the filter to sustain the cycle without that piece of foam. I would think I throw it away after a couple of years.

I have yet to replace my foam and it isn't showing wear. And I have been using it in one tank since I got the fish, so around 8 months.

I haven't had to replace any of my filter media in almost a year, except the filter floss lol. The rest I just give a good rinsing, and they've been fine. I'll replace them when they start to fall apart, which won't be anytime soon :)

I haven't had to replace any of my filter media in almost a year, except the filter floss lol. The rest I just give a good rinsing, and they've been fine. I'll replace them when they start to fall apart, which won't be anytime soon :)

Yep floss is a different matter altogether, more for removing big particles than anything. You could never rinse that stuff clean when it gets really dirty!

Yep floss is a different matter altogether, more for removing big particles than anything. You could never rinse that stuff clean when it gets really dirty!

Agreed Chrissy. I rinse and reuse my floss a few times until it really becomes dirty and clumped to the point where it can't be rinsed clean. As for my AquaClear media I also do as the gang suggests. Media blocks rinsed and reused until they disintegrate. Bio-max used until it begins to break down which could be years. An occasional good rinse in tank water to remove any accumulated sludge is recommended. :thumb:

Rinse, repeat and reuse :lol

Rinse, repeat and reuse :lol

exactly.gif

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Where do you put the filter floss? In the first layer (under the foam/sponge) or the second layer (above the foam/sponge)? Right now I just filled the filter up with the sponge and ceramic rings but I have a lot of filter floss lying around.

Just because I have them around, I put these four types in order from bottom to top: 1) foam block, 2) filter padding, 3) filter floss, and 4) bio-rings in a mesh bag :)

Just because I have them around, I put these four types in order from bottom to top: 1) foam block, 2) filter padding, 3) filter floss, and 4) bio-rings in a mesh bag :)

Oh I guess what I have is filter padding (the huge one from goldfish connection), not filter floss. I didn't realize that filter padding and filter floss were different things :P

Oh I guess what I have is filter padding (the huge one from goldfish connection), not filter floss. I didn't realize that filter padding and filter floss were different things :P

You'll definitely want the filter padding in the filter compartments in addition to the foam block and the bio-rings. When I omitted the padding, my water got pretty cloudy, since the foam block is rather porous and doesn't do a very good job and trapping the smaller particles.

Ok thanks for the tip!