Sign in to follow this  
Jennie

Sinking Pellet Funnel

I've had a problem with sinking pellets/other sinking foods blowing all over the tank as they sank, as they sometimes go places I don't want them to (in plants, behind decor, etc.) I worry that the food won't be found before spoiling.

So I cut the bottom off a plastic water bottle to make a long funnel. I put it in the tank, small opening down, as deep as I want - even slightly below the water line. It fills with water, I pour in the amount of pellets I'm feeding, and because the food is released below the filter current, it pretty much sinks straight down to the bottom.

I find this allows me to decide where the food ends up and assures me it's all consumed instead of hidden like Easter eggs around the tank.

NICE!!!! -runs to try- I have the problem of the pellets falling into my plant cups and they either don't notice or spend and hour fighting through the plant trying to get it. :krazy:

bread.gif

Awesome tip, Jennie. I will try later tonight and will report back! Thank you :)

i had the same idea just the other day, to find some sort of long large tube (i was going to use clear hard plastic water pipes)... great idea. i've got the same problem. am trying to find a solution to position the food in a certain spot in the tank.

Yeah - I think a plastic tube would work even better, although if you don't mind getting your arm wet, you can sink the funnel as the food descends. It's funny to watch the fish watching the food go down!

I have thought about how to join the water bottles together in a safe way to make it longer. Hot glue is okay, right?

The tube's a great idea, if you have one available!

Yeah - I think a plastic tube would work even better, although if you don't mind getting your arm wet, you can sink the funnel as the food descends. It's funny to watch the fish watching the food go down!

I have thought about how to join the water bottles together in a safe way to make it longer. Hot glue is okay, right?

The tube's a great idea, if you have one available!

You can buy a long siphon tube to do this, if you like. They sell an 18 inch tube at Petco for $15 :o

I have done this for a different reason. I use a custom funnel to keep the fish from surface feeding. I had a fish that kept gulping air at feeding time and would flow after eating. I use sinking food but it still happened. The funnel opens up below the waters surface. They then started to wait under the funnel. No more surface gulping and no more floating. I have since removed the funnel and they still wait underwater for their food.

Kind of off topic, but I so read this as "sinking pellet funeral" and found that title very fitting for goldfish.

I might have to try that :) just the other day, about 10 pellets got stuck in one of my crypts.

This is great! Going to try this with my telescopes. They seem to have a very hard time tracking down the food if it floats away from the designated nom area.

This is great! Going to try this with my telescopes. They seem to have a very hard time tracking down the food if it floats away from the designated nom area.

I'm continuing to experiment with this idea - I think if you lower the funnel as the food sinks, you can be even more precise as to where it lands on the bottom.

Edited to add - I'm also experimenting with ringing a bell in the area of the tank where I want them to eat right before I feed them. They seem to be responding, but that might just be wishful thinking on my part. I haven't thought the bell part out very well!

Edited by Jennie

Edited to add - I'm also experimenting with ringing a bell in the area of the tank where I want them to eat right before I feed them. They seem to be responding, but that might just be wishful thinking on my part. I haven't thought the bell part out very well!

interesting.gif

I think Chrissy is doing something similar but with a clicker?

many good points in this topic,

re ringing a bell, great idea, and yes, chrissy is using a clicker for it, but they should both work..

the funnel is really good too :) just a thought for members using a bottle, please make sure the advertising lable AND the glue used to stick it down to the bottle is gone before you put the bottle in the tank.

thank you, will try this, in the past i stuck my hand 3/4's of way down the tank and release the pellets, now i don't have to get wet & avoids possible contamination.