Sign in to follow this  
random

Red Fin

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0.5ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level? 20ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Between 7.2 - 7.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7 (But I've been aging the water overnight with coral)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test Kit (drops)

[*]Water temperature? 77F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29G, >8 months

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Two AquaClear 50s

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Daily 50%

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? Today, 50% this morning and then 30% this evening because I noticed the ammonia was climbing

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish, 1 ~5" 2 ~1" (not including tail)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Gel food (baby food peas, minced cocktail shrimp) and Wardleys fish flakes, ~4 small meals per day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Briefly had a dose of Maracyn-Two in it a little over a week ago, but removed it based on Trinket's recommendation.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Blood red fin.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Dorsal fin not as perky as usual.

fishsomemore002.jpg

Agh! X-Ray's big red spot just cleared up and now Mandy has a blood red fin. I've been keeping the tank as clean as I possibly can. :wall

That looks like an injury to me. I am most concerned about the water though. Do you have ammonia in your tap? Or is it a cycle bump from the meds? Clean perfect water is the key right now.

if it isn't on both/ all fins don't worry. Chunky Monkey had it like that on both fins last summer. He looked like he had gotten in a bar fight!

I remember I had given him MediGold. But don't if it is only one fin as that does suggest injury :)

That looks like an injury to me. I am most concerned about the water though. Do you have ammonia in your tap? Or is it a cycle bump from the meds? Clean perfect water is the key right now.

No ammonia in the tap water. Its a cycle bump. Should I up the WC to twice a day until it is sorted out? Also wondering how much Prime influences the ammonia reading and for how long...

I've been trying to figure out how she managed to do that to her fin.

It is just one fin, Captain.

Thanx for the replies.

I just want to chime in to say that the best way to figure out many WCs you need to do per day is to go by this guideline: don't let your ammonia get above 0.25 at any time :)

Prime doesn't change the ammonia reading. So if it says .5, that is what you have.

I just want to chime in to say that the best way to figure out many WCs you need to do per day is to go by this guideline: don't let your ammonia get above 0.25 at any time :)

Gotcha! :)

Prime doesn't change the ammonia reading. So if it says .5, that is what you have.

Good to know. I was unclear on that.

Thanks!

Do you have coral actually in the tank hun? Any space for it? It really is preferable to the bucket and so much easier : )

Do you have the kind of filter that has containers or anyplace to put the coral in?

Do you have coral actually in the tank hun? Any space for it? It really is preferable to the bucket and so much easier : )

Do you have the kind of filter that has containers or anyplace to put the coral in?

Yes, I replaced the carbon insert with a bag of coral. The coral in the bucket is to pH match the water. :D

ok gotcha :thumb:

any updates?

Yes! I'm glad you asked. I was thinking about updating earlier but was afraid to drag up an older topic. Mandy's fin is healing beautifully. I am having a hard time telling which one was injured now! Also she's been moved to a 50G, which is not cycled, but I am doing multiple tests and water changes daily to keep the ammonia reading close to 0 at all times. Also the ammonia in the 29G is consistently reading 0 now that there are only two itty bitties in it.

fishes042.jpg

P.S. Thank you!

Edited by Random

wonderful! Jig.gif