Lorianne1227

Gertie's Popeye

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?0

[*]Nitrite Level?0

[*]Nitrate level?<20 ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?8.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?8.4

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?"Quick dip" strips and Ammonia drops - API brand

[*]Water temperature? 72

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gal running over 5 years

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 110 aquaclear and aquatech 30 -60

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? About once a week 30 - 50 percent

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? Yesterday - 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 fish...3 at 2 1/2 inches, 1 at 6 inches, 1 at 4 inches.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Start right when I change the water

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Gel food once a day 6 days a week. Once a week pro-gold presoaked. They also get lettuce and oranges occasionally.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Left popeye

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

You might remember Gertie had a bout with dropsy a month ago. She developed Popeye during the course of her treatment but was not an initial symptom. Today I noticed her left eye has the clear doughnut around it. Her side scales are still smooth. I already have Daisy May in the quarantine tank with a burst cyst taking antibiotic food. I had salted the first few days. Daisy May never developed any swelling. I don't know if Gertie's eye is related to Daisy May's cyst. Daisy May had been in quarantine 6 days. Can I put them in the same quarantine tank?

salt should be all that's required to clear up her eye, i would consider getting her to a level of 0.3% of normal aquarium salt for about 4 weeks total..

if she's had dropsy before, she's been on meds right? so it's best that more natural apporach be taken now.. i would stay clear of the meds

Would it be possible for you to upload some pics?

I don't think it would be beneficial to QT Daisy May and Gertie together. From your description, Gertie will just need salt and pristine water to help her heal. No other medications necessary :)

Edit: I just saw that Helen posted also :)

I'm doing a 90% water change on the main tank right now. Since Daisy May is alreay in my 10 gallon quarantine, I'm going to have to find another option tomorrow for Gertie. I'm going to leave her in the main tank tonight. I'll try to get some photos. It almost looks like she has a few bumps on her head. Yes, Gertie was on the antiparasite food for 14 days. Salt sounds good. I've never had TWO fish sick at the same time. Poor Gertie! Poor Daisy May!

Hang in there. I think the salt and clean water will take care of things :)

When you say dropsy, popeye and cysts I cannot help but think of organic build up.

Have you checked your filters, ornaments, gravel (if you have any) etc? It is always something to look into, especially if you have 2 sick fish together.

Good luck :)

Hmmm....Captain. You're making me think. When you say "organic buildup" are you talking about all of the brown algae in my tank I can't seem to get rid of? My water tests are always good, but maybe there is some crap in the tank? I do vacuume the bottom which isn't quite bare. There is a single layer of river rock with bare patches showing through. I have three head ornaments in the tank, but they are completely open in the back. I have two pieces of aquarium driftwood that I have plants tied to.

I have never changed the filter media in my Aquaclear 110. I've rinsed it twice since I got it maybe last January? I change the filter things that have the carbon in them in the Aquatech 30-60 whenever they look pretty gunked up. I never take out the black biofilter sponges from the Aquatech. Any filter advice? I'm shooting in the dark here.

I am also concerned that I have two fishies sick at the same time.

I did a 90% water change last night and this morning Gertie's eye is down about 50%. Maybe there is something in the tank? Should I just keep doing daily water changes or still try to isolate Gertie?

yea the problem with our tests is that they only test for the nitrogen cycle. you can never be sure about the amount of bacteria, fungus, parasites etc in the water.

brown algae can harbor some bacteria. but more along the lines of causing mild fin spots etc. nothing like dropsy I think. as long as it isn't a fluffy field :)

I am a little worried about the driftwood tho. Koko has had terrible luck with it causing dropsy in her fish. I don't trust it either. you could maybe remove it for like a month and see how it goes? I have my plants tied on rocks instead.

I have different filters than yours. but I know the ones with carbon in them. the issue with carbon is that is it active for around a month and then has to be replaced - otherwise it starts leaking all the crap back in the water. I would take the carbon out. I know a few members somehow cut it out of those inserts. you should never really have to replace filter media - but it does need to routinely be rinsed in tank water. maybe other members with the same filters can tell you how often they do that. maybe monthly?

keep doing the water changes, it seems to be working :)

I didn't realize the driftwood could cause dropsy! When Gertie got sick before I mentioned that I had put new plants in the water. I didn't think about mentioning that I had them tied to aquarium driftwood. They're old pieces I haven't have in the tank for a few years and had just put them back in the tank. I'll be taking them out - just in case they're making Gertie sick. Thank you!!!

I didn't realize the driftwood could cause dropsy! When Gertie got sick before I mentioned that I had put new plants in the water. I didn't think about mentioning that I had them tied to aquarium driftwood. They're old pieces I haven't have in the tank for a few years and had just put them back in the tank. I'll be taking them out - just in case they're making Gertie sick. Thank you!!!

I second the motion of taking out the driftwood. Having it there makes it very difficult to clean, even when you take it out, and I believe there are things that can grow on it. My poor Renji got injured (through my fault) and then he was hiding behind the driftwood. Soon after that, he got very sick and did not recover :(

I will never use driftwood in any of my tanks again (unless it's a BN pleco tank).

as long as the driftwood does not smell bad, there is no problem.. a fortnightly check to know that it just smells like wet wood and not something funky, means that it's fine. i've kept driftwood in my tanks for 5 years (even the same ones) and there have been no issues.

i still think clean water and some aquarium salt is the way to go here.

I agree. My attitude on all tank decor (besides gravel) is that it needs to come out weekly and get cleaned. I scrub my driftwood with hot water and a toothbrush weekly.

I agree. My attitude on all tank decor (besides gravel) is that it needs to come out weekly and get cleaned. I scrub my driftwood with hot water and a toothbrush weekly.

I think that was my problem. I cleaned but didn't clean quite as thoroughly as I should have.

i only brush the underside of it and only every 2-3 months. like i said, if everything smells right, i have no issues with it.

I am a bit OCD....but I also think sometimes you get a bad peice.

Great advice! I haven't been scrubbing with a toothbrush more than once every two months (aquarium decor...not my teeth!). The tank is pretty brown. Driftwood out. Toothbrush in. Thanks all!

I agree with Stakos I've never had an issue with my driftwood.

Organic build up can come from a number of different sources, not rinsing your filter media out enough in old tank water at water changes, over feeding, too thick of a gravel bed etc.

Popeye is almost always caused by nitrates which are caused by organic overload. Keep up the large water changes and make sure your filters aren't too gunky and your fishy should be fine in no time :)