Sign in to follow this  
Anic

Some Serious Foam

So I bought a bubble disk from Pet~co a week or so ago and I love it.

..... Except for this...

IMG_1927.jpg

The hard water looks so NASTY! :(

IMG_1926.jpg

Is this normal for a bubble disk? I know that some medications can cause foaming but there isn't any medication in the tank, nothing but prime which was added later when I had to put off a water change. All the fish are acting normally, nothing amiss. It doesn't foam up over the edge and spill out and it doesn't affect the filter or water circulation.

What could be causing this?

Um, that looks abnormal to me :o

That really looks like soap bubbles to me! :blink:

OMG yikes.gif It looks like the tub when I give my Niece bubble baths! bath.gif Can you post info on the disk?? Possibly a link from pet co? And have you used any other dechlorinators before the prime?

May be a HUGE water change is in order also...

:o maybe it would help if you can slow down the pump.

Ashley, I use bubble disks in three of my tanks and I've never seen anything like that. Now medications will foam up the water with a bubble disk but I'd agree with a massive water change and see if possibly you can adjust your air flow down?

No. Not normal at all.

Water change. Huge water change. What soap has been around your tank? Or anything that goes into or is used in your tank? I agree with Red.

Air bubbles should pop almost immediately and not congregate in large numbers.

looks wrong to me too hun :unsure:

HOLY ALKJGLEKJA!!!!!!!!!! :rofl

...sorry couldn't help being astounded into laughter.

Hmmm. This is odd. :( Any kids running around with soap bottles? o.o Or maybe a wrong bucket was used or something? :krazy:

It will be hard for her to do a w/c because she buys city water instead of using the well water. So idk if she's got any city water atm. undecided.gif

All buckets are fish buckets, so no accidental contamination there. There are no kids, so that isn't an issue.

I scrubbed the sides down with a tank-only scrubby and nothing else. Nothing but Prime was added to the water.

I can't think of any way soap would have gotten into the water and the fish aren't acting any differently but I'm changing the water. Tank is draining now.

I'll find links to what I have in a second.

Edited by Ashley

This is what I have now. Probably not the same brand, but basically the same thing.

Water change is done, foam is gone now :/

Edited by Ashley

that's what i have too.. infact two of them.. do you still have them in there now with the WC? is foam forming?

I have that exact brand of bubble disc. I don't currently use it, but did for a long time, it never caused foam.

How odd, I hope the fish continued to be unaffected.

did you clean off the disk when you bought it? I would suggest to bath it in vinegar for a bit and rinse it well.

looks super funky!

Ashley..

i have suspicions that prime reacts this way to excessive hardness in the water.. if i recall, Martha had the same problem about a year ago (around the time she was giving baytril injection to one of her fish..)

can you post params for KH and GH? provided that you are still experiencing the foam issue so that i can investigate further?

Yeah, that is definitely not normal. Is it still doing it now after the water change?

Bubbles build up in jacuzzis because of excess bacteria. Could it be the same with aquariums?

I'm not home right now, thanks for the replies everyone :)

I checked on everyone before I left and everyone is happy and swimming around like normal. Eating and pooing like normal fish should. I don't believe I have a kh or gh test but I can stop and see if I can find some.

So far no more foam. I didn't add any more Prime since we have well water. I did rinse the bubble disk before I put it in, no vinegar water or anything.

Ashley..

i have suspicions that prime reacts this way to excessive hardness in the water.. if i recall, Martha had the same problem about a year ago (around the time she was giving baytril injection to one of her fish..)

can you post params for KH and GH? provided that you are still experiencing the foam issue so that i can investigate further?

I have trouble with bubbles if I use kordon+ dechlorinator. I prefer prime, and that is my main dechlor now but back then I was using the kordon+ and had tons of bubbles but not like poor Ashley's bubble fiasco. I have two bubblers and it is the round disk that causes me the bubble trouble even still.

edit I have very soft water, and a low kH but it is rich in minerals so I have a good pH just not stable so I use coral rocks.

Bubbles build up in jacuzzis because of excess bacteria. Could it be the same with aquariums?

Very interesting!

I'm not home right now, thanks for the replies everyone :)

I checked on everyone before I left and everyone is happy and swimming around like normal. Eating and pooing like normal fish should. I don't believe I have a kh or gh test but I can stop and see if I can find some.

So far no more foam. I didn't add any more Prime since we have well water. I did rinse the bubble disk before I put it in, no vinegar water or anything.

Hey I'll send u my kit. Texting u in 3... 2... 1...

Edited by Martha

......I didn't add any more Prime since we have well water. I did rinse the bubble disk before I put it in, no vinegar water or anything.

Yeah, bottom line, it doesn't matter if you have the world's most powerful bubbler. Just plain water wouldn't foam like that. And, just taking out or turning down the bubbler doesn't address the issue - at least if it's something bad. Foam like that will only happen when there's something in the water that can surround the air bubble and hold it in place. Minerals, chemicals, soap, conditioners, medications, combinations of any of these. So, it's a detective game trying to figure out what it is. If it's just minerals or conditioners, well, not pretty, but at least it's not dangerous. Other stuff, though isn't good.

Anyway, you said you "didn't add any more Prime." Does that mean you were before? And now it's not foaming anymore. Coincidentally? Maybe, IF you were using Prime before and now you're not and now you don't have foam, this could be your answer.....

Edited by Lynda Von G

I would add a bit of carbon to the filter just to be safe, in case something was in the tank (chemical).

Excess dissolved organic compounds can cause foaming, it's one of the reasons ponds will get foam around their shorelines at certain times of year. But I doubt that was the case for you since you keep you tank in good shape. I am wondering about the Prime....

Anyway, you said you "didn't add any more Prime." Does that mean you were before? And now it's not foaming anymore. Coincidentally? Maybe, IF you were using Prime before and now you're not and now you don't have foam, this could be your answer.....

I added the Prime because I was pressed for time and had to put off a w/c. I did a w/c later when I had a chance and added a little prime. A day or so later, there was my foam issue.

I would add a bit of carbon to the filter just to be safe, in case something was in the tank (chemical).

Excess dissolved organic compounds can cause foaming, it's one of the reasons ponds will get foam around their shorelines at certain times of year. But I doubt that was the case for you since you keep you tank in good shape. I am wondering about the Prime....

I have an extra container of carbon lying around here somewhere, I'll dig up some netting and rig a makeshift bag. Can I use a thin old shirt or would it have to be mesh?