Sign in to follow this  
Ang9000

Fluval U3 Media

Hey. Just wanted to ask about the media in the U3. Ive been reading that the carbon isn't necessary unless trying to remove meds from the tank. So instead I should replace it with something else. I'm becoming a little confused and overwhelmed with all the stuff about sponges, biomax, ceramic media, floss etc. I also read that to keep the water clear you could use polishing pads or filter floss to catch the tiny particals in the final stage of filtration. I've no idea what that means or how to do it!

Can somebody please explain things for me? What is all this stuff? What do I need?

You need lots of biological media!! Then some sponges and filter floss. That's it! wink.gif

biomax and ceramic rings do the same thing. They are "homes" for your beneficial bacteria and are both considered biological media.

So should I replace the carbon with more biomax?

i would do that. i have 2 aquaclear filters, and they both have "sponges" and biomax ceramic rings, thats it. Others here also use filter floss to clear up the water. I dont have the U3 so i cant tell you how to arrange it, but i would put the floss near the end of the filter, closest to where it leaaves the filter

Edited by Midnight

I've got 3 filters in my tank, one (the smallest) just has sponge in it - 3 different grades. The other two have a bit of sponge in, but are mainly filled with fluval biomax media - I have it in old pairs of tights. I don't use floss, I've got some sponge that's a higher density and I just have two pieces of it in total - with how much I've got crammed into my filters I just find the stuff to 'polish' the water slows them down a little too much.. :)

Filter floss is woven smaller then a sponge so it keeps debris from ruining your motor. I have a canister filter so bottom is bio media, middle is sponge, and top is filter floss.

It looks like you could remove the carbon and put in extra sponges. When the outer sponges get dirty remove then and clean them. Take the newly added second set of sponges and move them to the outside and put the clean ones behind them. You should be able to do this every two weeks. If you what to polish the water just use the carbon filters. It looks like they have a fine weave. They may be able to be cleaned but I have never used this filter so I am not sure. There may be other media that works in this filter. You would just have to try things out or maybe find someone that has used it.

...... I'm becoming a little confused and overwhelmed with all the stuff about sponges, biomax, ceramic media, floss etc. I also read that to keep the water clear you could use polishing pads or filter floss to catch the tiny particals in the final stage of filtration. I've no idea what that means or how to do it!

Can somebody please explain things for me? What is all this stuff? What do I need?

Maybe understanding the basics of the different types of filtration and which media does what, you might be better able to understand how to do all this.

There are three ways you need to filter your aquarium water: biological, mechanical and chemical filtration.

Biological filtration

Biological filtration is a natural response to toxic waste in fish water. Beneficial bacteria break down organic wastes from ammonia to nitrites and nitrates. These bacteria need oxygen and a place to grow. They attach to things like rock, gravel, tank decorations and all forms of filter media.

Mechanical filtration

Mechanical filtration is necessary for you to be a step ahead of toxic waste. Mechanical filtration means that water is filtered through a strainer such as filter wool, foam, sponges, paper cartridges, and loose and bonded floss to remove particles of leftover food, fish feces and any other tangible bits of matter in the tank.

Chemical filtration

Chemical filtration refers to the process of removing particles through chemical means, using a chemical resin to bind pollutants on a molecular level. Chemical filtration clarifies and purifies the water. There are different methods to "chemically" treat the water. Some of these ways include: ion exchange, adsorption, chemical bonding and molecular destruction. The most common chemical filtration is through gas activated carbon. Another way of filtering the water is protein skimming, but this is used primarily in saltwater applications. Alternatives to carbon filtration are UV sterilizers, ceramic balls or rings, poly absorption pads, zeolite and even peat moss.