Sign in to follow this  
random

A Primary Triad O' Bettas

I found these fellows at the local unmentionable mega store last week, and had a 10 gallon someone had given me for free...

bettatank004.jpg

I'd been doing water changes every three days but picked up a mini AquaClear and some baffling sponges today. I hope this is okay. It doesn't even splash the water.

bettatank030.jpg

Hufflepuff:

bettatank028.jpg

Slytherclaw:

bettatank037.jpg

Gryffindor:

bettatank031.jpg

They keep me company when I am in the kitchen. They've been eating well, making bubbles, and seem curious about what I am up to. They occasionally flare at each other, but its not nonstop as I worried it would be.

Beautiful! I love the names, especially Slytherclaw :rofl

I love Hufflepuff!! The color variety is beautiful!

Beautiful :) That must be so nice to watch.

I love it!! heartpump.gif

such a cool idea I wanna do it too!! krazy.gif

oh pretty fish. i have a few bettas too... so full of personality and adorably pretty too !

nice little set up. but where is the heater ???

Thanks for the replies and compliments.

oh pretty fish. i have a few bettas too... so full of personality and adorably pretty too !

nice little set up. but where is the heater ???

The heater is currently on the shelf because it had been exceedingly hot here (80+F in the house with the central a/c on full blast). But now that you mention it, it has cooled off some and I should really hook it up. What would you recommend setting it at, and most importantly how can I protect my Bettas from being burnt by it? I'll be honest that aquarium heaters make me a little nervous, which is one of the big things that attracted me to goldfish. But I do have a nice one with a safety shut off feature that there is no excuse not to use.

heat001.jpg

Fixed. I set it at 79F for now. I read they like it between 78 - 80. I'm still afraid of Gryffindor burning his tail on it, though.

i sit mine at 25c but anywhere from 24-28c (75F-82F)is acceptable (well so i have heard) 25c (77F) works for me...

i've never heard of a betta being burnt by the heater.

Harry Potter Bettas!!!!!! :Congrats:

I have my guys at 28/29C. They are doing great. The heater will also help keep the temp stable in such small tanks.

I love your set up! Hufflepuff is so pretty, I don't think I've ever seen a yellow betta!

Thanks guys! Hufflepuff is my favorite, but don't tell the others...

Slytherclaw is having issues with the filter, though. I had to turn it off because he turned pale and looked stressed out even with it baffled. Any suggestions? I want them to have adequate filtration besides the 1/3rd water change every 3 days, but I don't want anyone stressing either.

Perhaps trying it on the left or right side and see how the other bettas feel about it?

Perhaps trying it on the left or right side and see how the other bettas feel about it?

I put the filter on Hufflepuff's side since Gryffindor already has the heater taking up some of his space. He seems to be taking it well so far.

Hmm... Hufflepuff turned from sunshine yellow to lemon yellow. I'm guessing he doesn't like it either. Now I'm only running it for an hour or two at a time but not sure if it will still do much good that way, but also keeping up with the 1/3rd WC every 3 days.

I don't know for sure as I've never had a betta but maybe a sponge filter would be quieter for them? I think I remember Ryukin Girl's betta not liking the filter in his tank, but this was a long time ago so I'm not even sure how to search for the topic. undecided.gif

None of my bettas have done well with a true power filter. I just use the little $10 cheapy internal filters by Tetra that are powered by an included air pump. In my mind, they work better than a sponge filter. Anytime I use a power filter I get paleness and torn, clamped fins. They hate water movement generally.

I had Clifford in a 10g with a power filter and he did just fine. Varies from betta to betta.

Wild betta's live in areas with gentle water flow, so they shouldn't be too freaked out by a bit of current.

True, I do think it depends on the fish. I think usually the more extreme and long the tail is, the more concern there is for fin damage from the current.

I'm enjoying this thread so much. As you go along, I'm learning about betta's and I get to see your beautiful fish. They are so pretty!

Hmm... I may have to switch to an internal filter like klep88 recommended. Thanks for the tip.

Hufflepuff has torn fins now, but I am not sure if it was self inflicted or if the filter did it :(

Also I doubled up the mesh between Hufflepuff and the others because he went from being all mellow yellow to spastic flaring and darting around. The other two seem to be able to either take or leave the flaring.

At this point I am not too sure about my betta set up, though I have read about it working for others.

I don't think the power filter would be as big of a stressor if there was more space to get away from it.

My husband is going to be very upset with you now that I have to go to the LFS tomorrow and pick up some stuff for this AWESOME setup! You have inspired a new betta tank!