Do You Keep Snails With Your Goldfish?

miss

found a whole handful of ramshorns from a tank i thought had nothing living in it (was put outside still with gravel in it and rain filled it up again over time) previously had ramshorns and guppies in it but thought i got everything out.... apparently not. and they thrived and re produced even more of them.

anyways.... do you keep snails in your tank with your goldfish ??? my gold fish are tiny and wont fit the snails in their mouths. but do gold fish try to eat snails? or is it not a problem ???

whats your experience with snails and goldfish?

i know these guys populate like crazy and with lots of plant in my tank i am sure they will be ideal conditions for this..

I had snails in my tank years ago. The fish ate them but they reproduced so fast the fish couldn't get rid of all of them. I don't have snails anymore, though. Some snails can have parasites that spread to fish, though, so leave the snails alone (without fish) for a month or so and they'll be fine to add to the tank. Of course if they've already been alone for a while it should be good.

Edited by Calluna

the snails came from a good clean line of snails that i bread before adding to the guppy tank. the guppy tank was clean and disease free too. tank was put outside with a inch or so of water with gravel still in the tank so i guess there was baby snails i missed. it had to have been out there for 6 months + with nothing else in the tank except a whole lot of algae (sooo much that the tank was thick with a green wall on all 4 sides but the water was clean and clear) - should have tested it just to see what the water parras were like. would have been interesting.

might put just a few in the tank and if they get out of hand later on will just scoop them all out. they are after all good at cleaning the walls and cleaning up un eaten food.

shouldn't be too hard with a bare bottom tank. only the lots of plants and driftwoods would be the problem for them to hide in.

when i found out goldies ate snails i htought ohhh great ill add some to the tank! so i added a few larger ones so they could reproduce and the goldies could eat the babies yeh they didnt eat any of them :P now my tanks full of snails! oh well there cute too

My common Fern eats every single snail I put in his tank, they don't even have time to reproduce. :D

But my fantail Hercules doesn't even notice them. So when they get out of hand in his tank I just move them over to Fern's tank and he deals with them. :)

• Supporter

i used to have snails in my tank, but they were apple snails, never reproduced.. they were too big for my goldies to eat them.

snails are very messy, they can poop more than your average goldfish, i would be keeping a close eye on ammonia and nitrate params if i was to have snails again. in my 66 gallon, i only had 2 most of the time, then 4 for a short period of time.. now none. only because they are huge poopers.

I would love to have snails! Unfortunately my goldies eat the smaller ones like POPCORN! And Spot MURDERS Apple Snails! He literally hunts them down & shakes them outta their shells! It is awful!! :yikes

I had an awful infestation of rams horn snails they even got into my filter and caused problems. I ended up having to tear my tank down and bleach it and leave it in the sun for a few days to dry up any residual eggs. I am not a fan of rams horn snails. Mystery snails or Apple snails are cool but any snail that reproduces asexually can cause big problems in your tank in my experience.

ive never had a problem with my snails mine are jsut those pest snails they have always taken care of themselves once the population gets too large i noticed they will begin to die off untill they are back to a good number and i know it doesnt have to do with my water quality becuase i do about 90 percent water changes per week

mmmmm i know it doesn't mess with the filters i have now.the babies actually they thrive in the filters with all the food and mess in there that they just love to eat. i use the same sort of filters in all my tanks. and have large snail populations in the past in some of my tanks. not a problem (except them munching on some of my plants) but since there is no delicate plants now i cant see a problem even if they do over populate. will just scoop them out as i see them if it gets to that point. :) i threw a few in. and goldfish have been swimming right over them and not once did any pay attention to them. besides the fish are so small the snails are half the size of the tiny fish...lol. will be a while before they can eat them. if they chose to eat them.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I understand, some goldfish like snail snacks. Was the snail small enough to fit in the fish mouth?

On the other hand, they can hide really well, so it may just be hidden somewhere.

Good luck~!

I think it was too big for them to eat. I assume it's just hidden somewhere. It was a pond snail -- it could be right on top of the gravel and be camouflaged. Next time I see it, it probably will be with its hundreds of babies. ;)

I had an awful infestation of rams horn snails they even got into my filter and caused problems. I ended up having to tear my tank down and bleach it and leave it in the sun for a few days to dry up any residual eggs. I am not a fan of rams horn snails. Mystery snails or Apple snails are cool but any snail that reproduces asexually can cause big problems in your tank in my experience.

I agree with Maceo.

I've had ramshorn snails cause a bug ruckus in my tanks before. The main problem is that they will eventually get into the filters and if you have an HOB filter, snails living and dying in there can jam the impeller. In canister filters they can clog up water intake and outflow. With my Eheim spray bar, they were clogging up the little spray bar holes so I would have to constantly poke each and every hole to get rid of the snail shells.

I personally feel that they're a nuisance and found that my goldfish never really ate enough to keep up with the reproduction of them. I would prefer to feed healthier, higher protein foods.

I have had mystery snails though, and they are definitely cool. :)