Sign in to follow this  
fireevt

Floating Pond Plant Aquarium.

I recently decided to to put some floating pond plants in one of my aquariums. So far its looking good. They are lowering the nitrate rather well. I added two more this week to bring it down a little more. I'm trying to find the best balance between low nitrate and healthy plants. The plants are doing great. They are doubling in size about every week. They are producing runners for new plants and one has bloomed. The fish also like nibbling on the roots. Most people don't like to look at the roots so they don't get put in aquariums that often (except for spawning). I think it looks kind of like cut away of a pond.

The flowers. They only last about a day but they are worth it.

100_0838.jpg

100_0837.jpg

All the plants. Water lettuce and hyacinth.

100_0839.jpg

100_0840.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I am very interested in how this turns out. I have heard many ponders from cold areas complain that they can't keep these plants alive in indoor ponds over the winter. If you can grow them indoors, there are a lot of people who will want to know your secrets!

I am very curious about this??Can we have a Tank shot please????

I had some in my turtle tanks too. they became enormous!

Here is a link from when I set the tank up and here is the tank today. The only new item is a Whisper 60 with a course bag of coral gravel for the pH. In a week or so all the plants should be tall enough to be seen out of the top.

100_0853.jpg

I like the roots hanging down.

I like the roots hanging down.

They are relaxing to watch as they flow in the current.

I love this! All the floating plants I can find are the small ones that easily get stuck in the filter or eater.

The small ones I picked up from a person on Craigslist that had to many for 50 cents. The two larger ones I purchased from a garden shop. I QT my plants in one of my tanks with a micron filter before putting them in the regular tank. I dunk and swish them around to try to get the little bugs and debris off.

Ok now I want those. lol Looks great.

Be prepared for the roots to get longer. In my pond they are more than 2 feet long!

I've tried water lettuce in the past for my turtle. To my chagrin he demolished them in less then a week. doh11.gif It was an expensive food source for him so I stopped buying them but now that I've seen your post I may try it on my gf tank. Oh and what type do you have? The flower is gorgeous!

Be prepared for the roots to get longer. In my pond they are more than 2 feet long!

The goldfish eat the roots so I'm not to sure how long they will get. If they get out of control I will just give them a little trim.

I've tried water lettuce in the past for my turtle. To my chagrin he demolished them in less then a week. doh11.gif It was an expensive food source for him so I stopped buying them but now that I've seen your post I may try it on my gf tank. Oh and what type do you have? The flower is gorgeous!

The flowering plants are water hyacinth (Eichhoria crassipes). In the last picture in the first post they are the two closest to the window. The next four are suppose to be a dwarf variety. The last two plants are water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes). They are young plants and will grow a lot larger.

Edited by Goldfish Chris

This is lovely! I assume they require a good amount of light though.

This is lovely! I assume they require a good amount of light though.

The tank is next to the window. It only gets indirect light from it. The tank light is a single 25 watt T8 3500K tube. This is more of a blooming tube but it is what I had. Something around 6000K would be better for growth.

This tank is amazing! I wish I had more to add than that, but I wanted to say that the flower is beautiful.

The flowers are gone today.:( I hope I get more.

Update. The plants are doing very well even with the fish nibbling on them. They are at least twice as large and are multiplying.

Hyacinth with shoots.

100_0885.jpg

100_0886.jpg

Water Lettuce with shoots

100_0888.jpg

I saw a couple of the water hyacinth a few days ago and had to grab them. Thanks for pointing it out :D

These grow and multiply really fast (hyacinth/water lettuce)... I started out with just one of each in my outdoor tub ponds, and now they've covered the surface. Looks pretty, but now I can't see my goldfish! Lol. My hyacinths haven't bloomed like yours did Chris, it would be awesome if I walked out one day and saw a flower. I'll probably copy your idea and put em in the tank when it comes time to bring the goldfish in from outside.

Well time for a change of plans. I am removing the Hyacinth. The goldfish keep eating it and I think the mess is make more Nitrates than there removing. Plus the fish tip them over and the leaves die when under water. I am gong to keep the Water Lettuce. There was two and now there are almost 20. The goldfish seen to not eat it as much and when they do its not as messy.

I use water Yacinths in ponds. They are great nitrates cleaner, furthermore fishes like to bite their bulbs (it makes the same sound as someone that eats an apple).

The only issue: it doesn't hold cold weather and have to be removed before freezy weather and renewed at spring.

Edited by King Poseidon