Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Complaining Can Improve The Situation

As some of you might have read in another topic a few days ago, I had a really unhappy experience at a store where the Pets Go. Dead, dying and sick fish. One tank with a single tiny pearlscale had food on the gravel, either parts of a weekend feeder or an algae chip. Whichever it was, this piece of food was covered in thick fungus. A super cute black moor so weak that he kept getting sucked and stuck to the filter intake. Fish full of ick and sores.

I don't go to the store associates/management directly, but instead email customer service a nice big complaint mail.

Anyway, I got this email back from customer service:

Dear Birgit Y., Thank you for contacting mmm regarding your concern with our store at 3401 Pineville Matthews Road.

We are sorry to hear about your recent , we know how it feels to see pet habitats in bad condition being pet lovers ourselves. This will be forwarded to the upper management and to the Pineville Matthews store management so that they can do actions to improve the condition of the fish.

We appreciate your compliment about the good condition of fish at their store, this will be forwarded so that they will also know that they will continue their good work. (referring to the other store in Charlotte which I complimented about how well they take care of their animals.)

Please know that we care about our customers and what they think of us. By letting us know when we fall short of your expectations, we have the opportunity to address your concerns and to be better prepared to meet your expectations in the future. If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to reply to this communication or call mmm Customer Relations directly at 1-888-824-PALS (7257). Thank you again for contacting mmm.

Sincerely,

Ely G.

Customer Relations Coordinator

And a voice mail left on our phone from the actual store manager, apologizing, telling me that there are new people working BUT he also said that this is no excuse, things shouldn't be like that, and he promised that it's not going to be like that anymore etc. It was quite a long message, actually!

So yeah, guys. If you see the fish section (or any other live animal section) at a chain pet store being in bad shape, email customer service. That way corporate office / customer service will crack down on them and the situation might improve for the fish :)

Way to go! I will be curious to see how improved conditions are next time you visit. Great work!

In this economy, businesses can't afford to casually lose customers. Complaints DO matter. Good for you!

You are going to change the whole company for the better with your emails :) Way to go :D

I absolutely agree that we MUST make our voices heard in any unacceptable situation. I don't want to make this political because it really does extend beyond just political. It's every part of our lives, so I'll try to make this brief, but if EVERYONE took this same approach from the smallest store all the way up to the way we allow big corporations and our legislators to run our country and contacted them and complained - ALL OF US - then maybe something would actually be done to fix this mess we're in. Maybe someone else ultimately caused it, but we've let it happen with our indifference and apathy.

Far too often, we just sit back and "take it." We're told, don't make waves, don't cause trouble. Or it's just too much trouble to complain. But, calm waters are stagnant waters and stagnant waters are toxic waters. It's the waters that are constantly churned and turned over that are the cleanest and healthiest.

So, I'm very glad to hear of what you did! It just goes to show that making your voice heard really DOES work!

I only want to add one caveat, more negative downer naysayer, ugh!.... when a person complains about something, and you get a response saying things will be fixed, remember, many times, it can just be lip service to get you off their backs, so it, unfortunately, then becomes your responsibility to make sure the company follows through with their promises. And, this is why people don't complain. Because it's too much trouble. But, nothing changes until we do..... so?!

Do we have an Emoticon of a smiley face standing on a soap box?!

Go, Fang, go! Effecting positive change, one store at a time. That's the only way to go :)

I tend to use this one: emot-rant.gif

But well done on sending the email. In fact, I think I'm going to start complaining about it when I see it, even for my own sake because usually I come home and I'm upset about the poor fish for quite some time after.

I was recently in a LFS - quite a well- respected one, and to my absolute horror they were selling these tiny, plastic bowls, and offering a free goldfish with every bowl!

I overheard a staff member tell a customer to 'leave the tank sit for 10 minutes before adding the fish to cycle the tank' WHAT! for one, it's not a tank, its a cereal bowl, for two, nobody should buy tank and fish in the one day unless it's an emergency of some sort, and for three, that's not what cycling is! So there's another generation of people growing up thinking goldfish live in bowls!

My boyfriend kept steering me away from them lest I interrupt and go into full blown fish-rant at them. So I decided when I got home, that I would post on their forum to complain. But oh no! there was another customer complaining about something else, and the torrent of abuse they received from the shop owner, staff, and their friends put me off. I don't think there's any changing the minds of these 'experts'.

But remember, if we looked back years and years ago, (where I'm from anyway) the idea of bringing a dog or a cat to a vet was laughable. Vets were for horses and cows and other farm animals worth money, rather than for pets.

But it's come a long way since then - I mentioned once that our dog had only been to a vet once in his life to get shots, and I was met with a shocked expression - what about checkups?!

So with a bit of pushing, and speaking out, I bet the lives of goldies and other fish will be vastly improved in the future.

Good work and thank you for helping those fishies.

Aw, yay!!! I hope they improve!! :D

good work fangster!!

good work fangster!!

Thanks, Porkster! salute.gif

FANTASTIC ! we need more people like you !!! good job for making a complaint. Too often we all see the same things happening and do nothing about it.

BIG GOLD STAR FOR YOU !

I should do that (email) because I could tell from the Manager's expression @ wall-e world that he really couldn't give a flip about what I was saying.

and,

Koko we need this emote!!

emot-rant.gif