Sign in to follow this  
crowxjane

My New Blue? Oranda!

So I went out with no money to a few pet stores that are a little out of my way today...just to look. Heck, I had no money! So I just bought a few needed supplies and thats when I saw this guy, a little blue oranda! He looked healthy (compared to some of the other goldies I had seen today :( ) I told myself no, but ended up getting him anyway, since Pouch is still in qt and I have prazi being shipped to me at this very moment I figured it would work. So my new little guy is in with Pouch and the new sponge filter! Please excuse the filthy tank! Pouch had just had some freeze dried seaweed and it was right before his water change.......its just embarassing lol.

DSC_1333.jpg

Is this 'blue?' or just grey? He has a small bronze spot too!

DSC_1330.jpg

"OMG look at all this poop!"

DSC_1334.jpg

His little tail isnt split at the top...kinda cool!

DSC_1326.jpg

Pouch got a little nosey!

DSC_1328.jpg

Trolling around.

I just noticed the odd orange color on the new kid...thats a reflection from my flash, not his actual coloring.

I don't know enough to comment on the color, but it is gorgeous! :Congrats:

Yes, he/she is blue at present :)

:Congrats:

Awww!!! It's so cute!! :D

Thank you guys! So what kind of color change can I expect out of a 'blue' fish? Will he turn gold? I'll love him either way but I've never had a goldie in this color before so I dont know what to expect! lol

Yep, you have a blue for now :P Looks like he/she will eventually turn white and orange like my former blue oranda :P

Sorry about the double post! *face palms* and white and orange? Sounds pretty too! Im easy to please lol.

he/she is super cute, I can see why you had to have him.

He is very cute...I am intrigued by his little compact body.:Congrats:

very very very veryyyyyy cute !!! what a good looking fishie

Aww, I can see why you got him. :heart

Congrats!

That's a very pretty fish! Love the color and the body shape, and I too like it when the tail is connected! :)

Just a question, is all you got running right now on the QT tank a sponge filter? Because then you will end up with severe problems. :( A sponge filter does not provide enough filtration for an adult goldfish. Independent from the seaweed, the water in your QT already seems very cloudy. You might want to invest in a small filter to have 10x filtration on the QT tank as well :)

S/he he may stay blue or may not. No way to know till s/he gets bigger. Great looking fish no mater what color s/he turns out to be.

That's definitely a young oranda with potential -- nice body type. Whether the blue color stays or not is out of your hands, but as you said, a red and white oranda can be a lovely thing too. :)

Gorgeous :) that's what I'm looking for ;) and the body shape is wonderful :)

I have a sponge filter and some plant life in there and I do one 50 percent water change at night and a smaller one...20 percent or so in the morning. The water is usually much cleaner....but Pouch (the ryukin) decided to attack his seaweed (not the plants, its a freeze dried seaweed that I put in a veggie clip, it makes the water very messy) while I was taking photos, and it was before the nightly water change. So I think Im doing alright, the water is spot on whenever I test it, if you have any hints that would be fantastic! And thank ya'll I love him/her already but Im going to wait a while to name the little bugger, just in case! Also, Im getting my 50 gallon set up for the winter so when they are done in qt they will move into the large tank and the pond fish will go into qt.

Edited by crowxjane

He is super cute but I agree that a qt should have a proper filter. These are not fry, they are super poopers and need a filter that can handle such. So far your params are good b/c of the frequency and size of w/cs but that will get tiresome, I promise, and soon you might want to skip a day and if that happens BAM poor water quality. So save some pennies and get a filter for the tank and then you won't have to break your back every morning and night to provide good water for them. banana.gif

I love his chubby body.

I'll get a filter set up asap, its just that I've already been doing these water changed for over a month now and it doesnt bother me in the least bit, heck, sometimes its the most relaxing part of the day! :P But I can see your point! Thanks guys!

The body type almost makes me think Ranchu. Very stockey, and the body doesn't taper that much toward the caudel fin. Gorgeous fish all the same.

He reminds me of a ranchu also....just with a fin?