Sign in to follow this  
Silverfish

Is My Goldfish Just Mean?

Hi all,

New here but have been reading the site for a long time now!

I have a question about my goldfish that I hope someone can help with - he's a large rotund fantail (or possibly underdeveloped-wen oranda, it's hard to tell), he's roughly a year and a half old and is about 8 inches long.

So far, he has been directly responsible for the death of two other fish :(

I had two baby orandas, about 2-3 inch long, which I put in with him (shuffling about the decor in the tank as well to hopefully change up his 'territory).

He ignored them for the first few days, then he caught one of them by the tail and started shaking her over and back.

She became quite ill, so I quarantined her in a spare tank, he then began doing the same to the other oranda!

It was really quite aggressive, and he would keep trying to do it over and over.

Everyone I've spoken to about this is quite shocked by it ( or finds it funny :( ) so I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I am completely shocked :o. I have never heard of a goldfish doing that.

The only thing I can think of is removing him for a week and letting the other fish get used to the new tank. Rearrange the decor and put him back in. That is what most people do for agressive fish breeds. I do not know how well it would work for goldies though...

:hi Silverfish :welcome

Oh no thats awful! I have never had to deal with an agresssive fish before but I think ashlee's time out tank is a good idea!

:goodluck

I had a fish years ago that I had to give up, cause it kept trying to eat the eyes off of other goldfish. So when I found a LFS I told them that this fish is aggressive and i suggested this fish be in a pond. Sometimes when fish get like this they need more room and dont like other goldfish in there space.

He does have two ranchus in with him, at the start he was TERRIFIED of them, but now they're all best friends, he is much larger so he will just bop them out of the way when he's looking for food, but he's not aggressive towards them at all. It just seems to be floaty tails he dislikes.

If you've ever seen a goldfish eating a plant and whipping their heads over and back to try tear a piece off, that's what he was doing to the orandas :( Sadly neither of them recovered from the injuries, they were just too small I think :(

I do have an oranda in a 30 gallon quarantine tank at the moment, I'm hoping I can keep her there til she's grown up enough to go in with him, and I'll try the time out tank for him so she can get used to it first.

why not leave this fish current tankmates and getting a new tank for new goldies?

Or giving him up?

How big is the tank?

I had this happen with my George before (the black fish in my sig). He lived peacefully with my other fish (but I suspected he had plucked eyes twice, both times when the fish were introduced). Then I bought a very tiny oranda and he all but killed it. First he took out an eye, but I wasn't sure if it was him. The next day he took out the other one and severely damaged the fish..I had to put it down :(

What worked after that was using a tank divider when I introduced new fish. I'd put the new fish on one side for at least a week to let everyone get used to one another without interacting. That did work, he was introduced to several other fish after that and didn't do them any damage. But I don't know if that would work for all aggressive fish.

why not leave this fish current tankmates and getting a new tank for new goldies?

Or giving him up?

How big is the tank?

He's in an 80 gallon 4 foot tank, with two ranchus, the ranchus are still very small, about 2.5 inches.

Aw, I could never give him up, he's my baby :D

Aw, I could never give him up, he's my baby :D

That's how I felt about George :heart

My big, mean, grumpy baby!

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

It may be that he can only be kept with short tailed fish. But at least he can be kept with those.

aww :( it sounds like some one needs a time out :( I had to re-home an aggressive fantail in the past, but you could try the divider thing and see if that works :)

I know a case of a black comet who has already killed 4 of its tankmates in a very mean way. He behaves as a betta splendens. This fish is a freak.

My calico fantail is agressive towards female fish, he chases them as if it is spawning time all the time and nips them really hard! I have to keep him with males only and he is fine. Could this possibly be your problem?

:gfish: It's obvious that for some reason he fills a threat~~~(or the long flowing tails mean something to him).....I say if it ain't broke~~~if he gets along with the ranchus then you may just have to keep it that way. I too, have no experience with a aggressive goldie.........sorry :no:

Guest Billium

Had to move my larger orange oranda out to the pond today because he was really picking on the two little oranda's in the tank. They aren't injured but he was downright mean to them and I wasn't taking any chances. He was out in the pond in the first place I think he misses all of his friends and much more space to swim around. There are a couple comets out there about 10" long and a koi about the same size so no more bullying for him LOL

My moor is like that,one aggressive fish, who killed my calico oranda. I'd never give him up but i'll never put another fish in with him again.

A divider didn't even help.

Edited by Keevus

Old thread is old