Sign in to follow this  
whynotrockit

Eating Lettuce From The Clip

Ok so I've been trying to get my fish to eat the lettuce from the clip. I know he can be aggressive because I've seen him in the morning when he wants food. Anyway I ripped off a little piece so he knew and he ate it but won't take try to take chunks from the leaf. What gives?

have you boiled the leaf until it's soft? if the food is not blanched, they can't rip it apart as their teeth are lined in their throats and not in their mouths.. so they can't rip anything apart. ie, if they can't suck a piece free, it ain't going anywhere.

Edited by stakos
sorry.. engrish.. meh

Is he ignoring the lettuce completely?

The clip, itself, could be instilling a little fear in the fish. I know I'd find an orange more tasty than lettuce and I know goldies go bonkers for oranges, so maybe try an orange or something similar that's more irrestible. If it is fear of the clip, maybe an irrestible food will help him become more familiar with it.

Perhaps your fish just aren't used to food being available that way. If they've never had it like that before it might take some getting used to :)

I put some lettuce on a clip in the tank once before.. and never again! :P One of my fish grabbed the whole piece of lettuce, spent the next 15 minutes desperately chewing, and let me tell you my filters were rather green that week...! haha

Stakos, how do you blanche the greens? I just bought a veggie clip also and i tried using a cucumber but my fish tried to eat but got nowhere. i have never heard the term "blanche" before unless it was referring to my grandmother's friend Blanche

You can lightly steam it or put it in a bowl of water and microwave it for a minute or so. A lot of people don't like to microwave things for their pets though, so you can steam it.

I usually let whatever veggies I'm cooking sit in a cup of boiling water for a minute, then let it cool before feeding :)