Sign in to follow this  
gfish605

Help! My Comet Keeps On Coming Up For Air

Do you have a photobucket account or facebook or youtube?

video is under psychicj605 in youtube. i accidently gave you the wrong channel youtube name in one of these posts. the fish is doing better after the water change. he doesn't go up to get air anymore, instead, he is staying lower to the ground about an inch above gravel. i am posting that video now. i am sorry about the quality of the video due to poor quality blackberry phone. anyway, help is always good!

thanks,

J

That could be a good sign. I will check the video when i get home tonight. If your fish is hanging by the bottom just kinda staring, it could be that he is relaxing and hopefully healing from whatever was going on. Again, ill check the video to give my opinion. If you think there is too much water flow, just fill the tank up a little higher. The added air bubbles will give more Oxygen. But if i read correctly, you now have 2 filters and another airstone/bubble wand. Im curious to see the flow in the video.

That could be a good sign. I will check the video when i get home tonight. If your fish is hanging by the bottom just kinda staring, it could be that he is relaxing and hopefully healing from whatever was going on. Again, ill check the video to give my opinion. If you think there is too much water flow, just fill the tank up a little higher. The added air bubbles will give more Oxygen. But if i read correctly, you now have 2 filters and another airstone/bubble wand. Im curious to see the flow in the video.

thanks! i took out the air bubble wand and stopped the air bubbles coming from the airstone in my decoration of the dragon. you are right, aka seems pretty good.

other question, how do you know if they are female or male?

appreciate it!

J

i cant figure out how to sex my fish but i am sure there is a thread on here. From what i know, Females have a bump near their "exit hole" and males have some spots near their gills. I could be wrong but i am fairly sure i read something like that. I have not seen any of that on my fish but i havent really looked that hard. I just made up genders for them. Haha

Edited by Midnight

checked your video. It doesnt look too crazy as far as flow goes. Tough to see though the quality of the video is fuzzy

thanks! i took out the air bubble wand and stopped the air bubbles coming from the airstone in my decoration of the dragon. you are right, aka seems pretty good.

appreciate it!

J

I'm not clear on why you took the air/bubble wand and air stone out? Aeration is good, and doesn't contribute much to current. For outflow current from filters you can baffle it with a sponge or soda bottle plastic (soda bottle baffle if you Google it) Removing the air stone from your dragon may leave a hollow decoration now that water can stagnate in and create gases which will do more harm.

Also I see you feed flakes. Your fish is used to finding food on top of the water and goes up to look for some. They may do this for some time after feeding, as they can still smell the food oils in the water. Unless a fish is spending most of it's time gasping at the surface I wouldn't worry. And turning off air bubbles certainly won't help that, as most gasping is from lack of oxygen...

checked your video. It doesnt look too crazy as far as flow goes. Tough to see though the quality of the video is fuzzy

yeah, i know, the blackberry i have doesn't give good video quality. I noticed that the goldfish has some brown specks on him. He didn't have that before. He is still swimming low on same spot, water is cloudy since I changed it yesterday. I don't know but I hope he can truck through this whatever is in water. I'll do water reading later tonight.

J

appreciate it!

J

I'm not clear on why you took the air/bubble wand and air stone out? Aeration is good, and doesn't contribute much to current. For outflow current from filters you can baffle it with a sponge or soda bottle plastic (soda bottle baffle if you Google it) Removing the air stone from your dragon may leave a hollow decoration now that water can stagnate in and create gases which will do more harm.

Also I see you feed flakes. Your fish is used to finding food on top of the water and goes up to look for some. They may do this for some time after feeding, as they can still smell the food oils in the water. Unless a fish is spending most of it's time gasping at the surface I wouldn't worry. And turning off air bubbles certainly won't help that, as most gasping is from lack of oxygen...

the fish doesn't like the bubbles, he stays away from dragon when they are on. I put it on after I read this and he is staying in one spot on the far end away from the dragon. bubbles are kind of big for his size. anyway, i noticed he has some brown specks on him, which he didn't have when I got him. Wondering if anyone knows what that is, and how or if i can help him?

i feel horrible because the fish is floating like he's dead and he's barely breathing, his mouth gapes open slightly, i don't know what to do to help him. I feel terrible, i wonder what happened to the water. Everything is fine, i cleaned it and did the water change. the lights were on for 5-6 hours, because they are plant lights.

anyway, i don't want to call it quits and sell my aquarium yet, but wondered what your advice would be.

thanks,

J

Cloudy water can be a sign of PH issues or of a bacterial spurt. Test your water and if you are getting any readings of ammonia and nitrite over .25ppm time for another water change. Have you tested your tap water (PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) as well?

hi J,

please update us on the status of your fish. can you post current water parameters? some pics?

Cloudy water can be a sign of PH issues or of a bacterial spurt. Test your water and if you are getting any readings of ammonia and nitrite over .25ppm time for another water change. Have you tested your tap water (PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) as well?

wow, i didn't know that i had to test the tap water too? what can i do to fix the tap water?

wow, i didn't know that i had to test the tap water too? what can i do to fix the tap water?

all fish died and now I am stuck with a brand new fish tank, weird water and no fish! I want to change the funky gravel, looking for some plant gravel instead.

anyway, maybe i should get some turtles? or at least that's what the girl said at the pet store!

Testing tap water is critical, because it will give you the knowledge of the the type of water you have to work with in order to create an ideal environment for your fish. It's not so much as "fixing" the tap water, but determining things like is your tap water soft or hard, what's the pH like, is there ammonia/nitrate in the tap. Knowing these things allows you to compare it to conditions in the tank and go from there. For example, my tap water pH is ideal at about 7.8-8. However, it is also very very soft, which means that it is prone to pH crashes if I don't buffer it. Knowing this, I have a buffering system in place to keep my pH at 7.6.

I'm sorry for the loss of all your fish. If I may make a suggestion, don't give up on goldfish just yet. Many of us here also have weirdish water, but these things can be overcome. You could look at this as an opportunity to a fresh start, and this time you'll have the support of an entire community of goldfish fiends :))

all fish died and now I am stuck with a brand new fish tank, weird water and no fish! I want to change the funky gravel, looking for some plant gravel instead.

anyway, maybe i should get some turtles? or at least that's what the girl said at the pet store!

Please don't buy turtles. You need to get your water figured out first. I did post a response in your other thread so hopefully we can all help you get to the bottom of this.

About the turtles, if you want a turtle only get one. I'm not sure what pet store you were at so I have no idea in what type they are selling but your size tank is not big enough for more than one turtle. I have a 55 gal tank and I only have one male turtle. Turtles are harder than fish but they still require the utmost care when it comes to water quality.

I don't want you to get discouraged about fish keeping because of this incident. Chin up! 00001649.gif

ok, my spirits are up. I saw a beautiful jade colored goldfish. it took my breath away, but i am not going to buy it until this water situation is done. i will check the tap water but i don't understand what a buffer is? where do i get it? what brands, etc...thanks for the support guys, and no I am not buying any turtles. I thought the girl at the store was crazy when she said that, it was kinda a joke to myself. any-hu! thanks again!

as for the tap water i did a reading and it turned out like this:

ammonia-1-2 ppm

ph- 8.0 ppm

nitrate - 0 ppm

nitrite- 0 ppm

as for the tank water:

ammonia -.25 ppm

ph - 7.4 ppm

nitriate - 0 ppm

nitrite - 0 ppm

so if anyone can let me know what the situation looks like I WOULD LOVE THE HELP. I really want to get my new fishy soon.

thanks guys!

Your pH drops after it's in the tank so a buffer will help stabilize it. I will refer you to a link that can explain it to you better than I ever could. ;)Link!!

You've also got ammonia coming right out of the tap which is not good, but I think it's something that can be worked with. I'm unfamiliar with how to deal with this type of situation though. I'm thinking using Prime or maybe Amquel + but I really don't know. However someone who DOES know will most likely pop in and give you some help!

I'm sorry I didn't list any buffers for you. doh11.gif The only one I can think of off the top of my head right now would be Buff it Up from GoldfishConnection.com.

You can also try crushed coral which would go into your filter.