Sign in to follow this  
gfish605

Help! My Comet Keeps On Coming Up For Air

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[0]Ammonia Level?

[0]Nitrite Level?

[0]Nitrate level?

[8.2]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[API]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[72.5]Water temperature?

[36]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[penguin bio wheel 150]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

[fish were put in in recycled tank first fish ever to be in tank]How often do you change the water and how much?

[2 1/2 weeks]how many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

[there were 4 but only two left on tiny comet and one small comet size of quarter and half]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[tetra aqua safe plus, amquel plus,Nova Aqua, had used small amount of ammonia and microbe lift and aquarium cycling and conditioning kit]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

fish flakes]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[no]Any new fish added to the tank?

[no]Any medications added to the tank?

[none]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

[no but fish that died earlier had ick]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[fish likes to come top of water and gasp for air? small fish likes to lay low on ground and later swims like nothing. the other two comets died, med size had ick, white spot on his side, and small comet died as well. Only left with two.]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.

Hi,

I just got a new 36 gallon tank that I just finished cycling for a month. I added 4 fish on friday from the feeder fish tank. I got one bright red comet named "AKA" he is about an inch in size, smaller gold comet named "Kin", smoked colored gold with black about 2 inches, had white spot on him, he laid low on bottom of aquarium entire time he was placed in my tank, found him dead this morning (I named him Kimori) and the other yellow smaller comet also found dead later this midday(named Kirro).

I am so new to this, but I don't want Aka and Kin to die. Aka keeps going to the top of the tank to gasp for air or look for air bubbles. I also have a air bubble wall, that lets out a few bubbles to one side of bar, I have small snails and some plants that I forgot their names, sword fern, moss, and bamboo are a few.

I don't know why Aka is doing this and am afraid that they might also die; can someone help me try to save these guys? I really don't want them to die too!! good help will be awesome!

Thanks,

Jobi

can you test your water parameters? without that, it will be tough to help. Gasping for air could be lack of oxygen. I dont see your filter size either

nevermind i see you answered those questions. I would recommend a water change. Its strange all the numbers are zero... Do you have live plants? You might be under filtered... Your filter is meant for a 30 gallon but usually they underestimate the need for filter output. I cant find how many gallons per hour your filter uses...

after researching, it looks like your filter actually has 150 gallon per hour flow, which is about 40% of what you need. Your tank needs a minimum of 360 gallons per hour (36x10 gallons per hour). I use 2 filters because it adds more biomedia and adds more oxygen

after researching, it looks like your filter actually has 150 gallon per hour flow, which is about 40% of what you need. Your tank needs a minimum of 360 gallons per hour (36x10 gallons per hour). I use 2 filters because it adds more biomedia and adds more oxygen

So you reccommend to buy a bigger filter? I wonder what to do with the filter I cycled. I worked so hard to have good bacteria on it. Can you reccommend what filter to buy at my local mmm? Should I do a water change. Aka is up gasping for air like crazy. I want to go to mmm right now and help him! since it's the only fish pet store open right now.

i would keep your filter but add another one. i recommend the aqua clear filters. Maybe the aqua clear 50 would be sufficient for you but the aqua clear 70 would be ideal. Also, instead of using the carbon, use the sponges and the biomax inserts. Pig fish store chains carry this filter by the way. Also, i recommend changing the water 50 % asap minimum. Also, are you using api drop test kits or just the strips? the strips stink...

api, I am about to go to the pet store right now to see if I can get this stuff. Aka is really cute fish.

thanks so much!!!

just make sure i am correct in my estimate. When i googled your filter, i saw the "marineland penguin 20-30 gallon" and it pushes 150 gallons per hour. If this is in-correct, you may not need a new filter. If it is correct, you are underfiltered and i recommend more filtration like you are aiming for

you have 4 commons in a 36 gallon? commons need lots of space thats not enough room for 4

I would follow all of the advice recommended above. Comets do need 20 gallons each at minimum, so even with 2 comets in the tank you are overstocked, but it should be fine for now since they are small, but you will need to upgrade. The flakes could also be contributing to the surface gulping and I would switch to a quality sinking pellet to prevent this habit from forming.

When you add the new filter you can always take the media from the old filter and put it in the new one to seed it.

Make sure the bamboo isn't completely submerged either or else they will rot.

Are there live plants in the tank? If you have live plants, they can impact readings.

What do you mean by a recycled tank and that it had been cycling for a month? What process were you using to cycle the tank?

Have you had any readings for either ammonia, nitrite or nitrate since the fish were added?

i would keep your filter but add another one. i recommend the aqua clear filters. Maybe the aqua clear 50 would be sufficient for you but the aqua clear 70 would be ideal. Also, instead of using the carbon, use the sponges and the biomax inserts. Pig fish store chains carry this filter by the way. Also, i recommend changing the water 50 % asap minimum. Also, are you using api drop test kits or just the strips? the strips stink...

Hi There,

I just inserted the new aqua clear 70 into the tank. the guy in the store was asking my why i wanted to buy that brand? he didn't like it at all and was trying to make me buy a bigger and more expensive filter by marineland. I decided to buy what you suggested and was not cheap. I put in the carbon, sponge and the biomax insert. I asked the guy at the store that you had recommended not to put the carbon insert and he started telling me that it would not filter correctly if i did this.

I had another question, how do I change the water right now with out stressing or killing Aka. I really would like to do this correctly. The filter has been on for about 15-20 min and the bubbles are pretty strong, even on low. my bubble wall has a semi-strong current and so does my other filter. Can this also be bad for Aka? I hope you can help me soon. as for water conditioners, I only have the ones i listed above on the survey.

best,

Jobi

You do not need to use carbon. Most here only use it to remove medication.

Most people also use Seachem Prime as their water conditioner.

As far as water changes would you please answer the above questions I asked about your cycle and readings? :)

Water changes normally don't stress the fish out too much.

Thanks!

Are there live plants in the tank? If you have live plants, they can impact readings.

What do you mean by a recycled tank and that it had been cycling for a month? What process were you using to cycle the tank?

Have you had any readings for either ammonia, nitrite or nitrate since the fish were added?

Hi Grace, I do have live plants, I listed them above with my survey for all the questions but I do have the following: Amazon Sword, Bamboo, Brazilian Pennywort, Water onion, Java Moss, and some kind of fern, i forgot the name but it's ok for goldfish. I asked and read the item in the container it came in.

In regards to recycling, MY BAD, I meant CYCLE the tank. I used the real deal of concentrate ammonia from True value, no soap, no other additives, etc. I used the cycling method used here in this website. In the end I used a little tiny bit of the cycle kit mentioned above in my survey. i used the cycle kit because after 3 weeks, the tank wasn't creating the nitrates and the decrease of the ammonia stayed the same.

Like I said above my ammonia is 0, nitrate and nitrate is 0. and fish were added in Friday.

Duh, so sorry. That's what happens when I read on my phone.

Duh, so sorry. That's what happens when I read on my phone.

that's ok, i just am worried right now. the fish keeps going up for air and feel like it will die soon. he/she is the only one left from the four I bought on Friday. It sucks, to see small fish die like this. The water is really rough since it's about two inches below the rim. I am wondering how to change the water without stressing out the fish and if I could do that now and how.

Can you raise the level of water in the tank?

Is there any way you can post a video of the way the fish is acting?

I would be torn on the water change without seeing the fish. What do you have to remove the water?

Can you raise the level of water in the tank?

Is there any way you can post a video of the way the fish is acting?

I would be torn on the water change without seeing the fish. What do you have to remove the water?

sure, I can try with my blackberry. I wonder how to send it to you, i guess, i will try right now.

Do you have a photobucket account or facebook or youtube?

Do you have a photobucket account or facebook or youtube?

Hi Grace,

I finally figured out how to upload the video via blackberry phone at my channel, which i never use.e It's Psychicj. Please go ahead and take a look. the other fish I had is definitely dead, and can't find him or her anywhere in the tank. I have cloudy water, i have lots of tiny little black snails. and there is some brown stuff on some of the decorations. anyhow, the other person recommended doing a water change and getting another filter,and i did. the bubbling of both filters is pretty strong. so i turned one off for now. I haven't taken the carbon out, but will.

i need help ya'll!!

well, i did the 50% water change, got the two filters and cleaned out the gravel a bit with the decorations. I hope aka makes it. good night.

I am concerned about the missing dead fish. This will certainly foul up the water and it has to be somewhere. Do you use a siphon to vacumm your gravel (I am pretty sure you mentioned having gravel, but I can't recall)? I know you were working on a video...can you post one? Thanks!

I know the person at the pet store told you to buy another filter and that you need to use carbon, but most people at pet stores (at least where i live) dont really know anything or dont really care. I find that they pretend to know what they are taking about but really dont have a clue. And this goes for fish and other animals. If you can post a video on photobucket or facebook it would be a big help.

You say you have a lot of current, but its hard to judge without seeing it. The fish will need an area to relax

I know the person at the pet store told you to buy another filter and that you need to use carbon, but most people at pet stores (at least where i live) dont really know anything or dont really care. I find that they pretend to know what they are taking about but really dont have a clue. And this goes for fish and other animals. If you can post a video on photobucket or facebook it would be a big help.

You say you have a lot of current, but its hard to judge without seeing it. The fish will need an area to relax

You are right, he pretended to know everything. He was trying to sell stuff to me. He wanted me to bring back both filters and get the one that was worth almost $150 or more. He also said that i could keep more fish in the tank that I had. I just had to clean it more often. What a knucklehead. So I am with you. They tried really hard to convince me not to buy the filter you recommended. But i bought it anyways.

I did post a video from my blackberry on youtube. I never upload videos and it's a crappy one since it's from my phone but in any event, i did post it on psychicj in youtube channel. Since then, I did a water change like you said, the fish has now stopped gasping for air but now he is hanging out on the bottom of the tank. He is not precisely on the ground but about an inch above the gravel.

I may post the video so you can see my aka doing now.

Thanks for your help,

J

You are right, he pretended to know everything. He was trying to sell stuff to me. He wanted me to bring back both filters and get the one that was worth almost $150 or more. He also said that i could keep more fish in the tank that I had. I just had to clean it more often. What a knucklehead. So I am with you. They tried really hard to convince me not to buy the filter you recommended. But i bought it anyways.

I did post a video from my blackberry on youtube. I never upload videos and it's a crappy one since it's from my phone but in any event, i did post it on psychicj in youtube channel. Since then, I did a water change like you said, the fish has now stopped gasping for air but now he is hanging out on the bottom of the tank. He is not precisely on the ground but about an inch above the gravel.

I may post the video so you can see my aka doing now.

Thanks for your help,

J

sorry!! the video is under psychicj605!!!