Oranda In Pond

Squared

The cool temperature can be detrimental to the fish. Fancies are not as hardy as the longer bodied comets, commons, and shubunkins. They will also get more beat up and aren't able to compete as well for food. Fantails are considered fancies, but they are much like commons, but with longer fancier tails. You can put orandas out in ponds in the spring and summer, but most people take them in before winter to prevent illness and death.

Hmmm I see some mixed feelings here...well I think I am going to try an oranda. A red cap, since the wen dosnt grow over the entire face. I put my tiny little ryukin in the pond, does fine with food and keeps up pretty well for such a small fish.

Hmmm I see some mixed feelings here...well I think I am going to try an oranda. A red cap, since the wen dosnt grow over the entire face. I put my tiny little ryukin in the pond, does fine with food and keeps up pretty well for such a small fish.

I think you should be fine, as long as the temp in the pond doesn't go below 50 or above 86.

The goldfish designated "pond fish" are those that can thrive in a pond, year around (even under ice), with any other kind of goldfish or with koi. These include any of the long-bodied varieties of goldfish -- commons, comets, shubunkins, wakin, watonai. Fantails, as the least mutated of the short-bodied goldfish, are nearly as hardy. Some people leave them in their ponds year around, and they have no problem co-existing with the long-bodied fish.

Just because they aren't called "pond fish" doesn't mean other fancies don't belong in a pond. All fish do better in an appropriate pond. They just need some accommodations for their handicaps. Generally, they need to come in in cold winters. The more delicate varieties may need to be with their own kind, and may need protection from structures in the pond that tougher types can handle. Competition for food is irrelevant in an established pond because natural food is so abundant. But spawning behavior of the faster fish can be very hard on fancy females.

I've seen many ponds where fantails, orandas, and ryukins are kept with "pond fish" year around in mild climates. A pond of fancies can include anything you would put together in an aquarium. You just bring them in in cold weather.