Wen Growth Quesion

Squared

So I went to a fish store today in hopes of buying a ranchu for my pond...they had some nice ones but the had like no wen (even on the 3 and 4 inchers). I like the wen. Is there any special food I should feed a ranchu for better wen growth or is the size on the when completely dependant on genetics? Or both?

So I went to a fish store today in hopes of buying a ranchu for my pond...they had some nice ones but the had like no wen (even on the 3 and 4 inchers). I like the wen. Is there any special food I should feed a ranchu for better wen growth or is the size on the when completely dependant on genetics? Or both?

High protein foods such as bloodworms will definitely help, but there is also a very strong genetic component to wen growth.

There are 4 main types of Ranchu and some are breed to have almost no wen. You can feed high protein commercial foods like Hikari Lionhead or Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish food but in the end it could be genetic.

If they are that size and don't have any wen growth, chances are they never will. At best, you will only ever get a very, very small, tight slight raised area. If a wen is an important feature for you, I really doubt you'll be able to "force" one of any significance to grow with even the best food.

I agree, at this size and age, if there is no significant wen yet, there never will be.

Even without being fed a higher protein diet, if the genes for big wens were there, it would already show.

Sometimes it takes some looking around to find the right fish. If money is not that much of an issue, you could order some online or ask around at your local fish stores if there is a way that they order a specimen like that for you. Some non chain places do that for their customers :)