Sign in to follow this  
yorkie

What Is The Right Aquarium Depth For Oranda Goldfish

I am not sure if this topic ever been discuss in this forum. I am an experience fish keeper fresh and salt water. Lately, I have so much interest in Oranda. I have nine oranda in my 150 gallon aquarium with 72"(w) x 24"(h). I am learning that both of my Panda Oranda always swims on top and sometimes upside down after feeding and the next day the seem to be okay.I did not over feed them and sometimes I feed them once a day, even I stopped feeding them for three days. I feed my Oranda varieties of food: sinking pellet, cooked peas, flakes , frozen brine shrimps and frozen blood worms. I know some of the food are high in protein. I place all the food in a cup with water before feeding but still my panda have bloating (buoyancy issue).

I place both of my panda in 10 gallon aquarium since they are not that big. I feed them twice a day and they seem to be okay. Now, I am learning that oranda goldfish may have issue with the aquarium depth. It seems like a certain oranda breed cannot handle high water pressure especially after feeding. Anybody in this forum have this experience, please share. I am planning to switch the tank with my 100 gallon with 20" deep and smaller tank. It is going to be a lot of work for me because I have to switch all the fish.

I have a 180 gallon goldfish tank. One of my orandas never had a problem with floaty issues when she was in a 30 gallon but she would go belly up weekly in the larger tank. I moved her into a 20 and she is back to normal. My other oranda and 18 other fish in the tank have no problem with the depth at all. I even have a small pearlscale in the tank.

I would first make sure that your orandas can handle the 100 before moving all your fish. My oranda cannot be in anything larger than the 30. It is the pressure of the water that causes it. Water changes can be a trigger too, the change from high to low back to high.

Deep/round bodied orandas and goldfish with similar body shapes can and do sometimes develop issues of swim bladder control, resulting in floatiness. Certain types of food could make this worse or better, and I've seen a number of people on this forum abandon processed food and make their own gel food using fresh ingredients. Certainly, lowering the depth of the water can also help, as you are doing.

Another thing that you might possibly attempt is to lower the water level and then gradually attempt to increase the depth. Here's a link to a thread of one of our members who is doing just that :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/93432-floaty-fish-experiment/page__p__1091447__hl__experiment__fromsearch__1#entry1091447

Good luck. I love orandas :)

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I cannot lower my 150 gallon tank level because of the overflow. I will try to move the oranda to 100 gallon tank. I can't move them one by one because the other tank is tropical with 80 degree temperature.

Thanks for the advise.

Each fish has it's own tolerance level. You should try never to do any large increases in water level too fast - that can lead to problems.

To find it's tolerance level you can put him in a tub and lower the water until he doesn't swim with the butt up or float anymore. From there on you can very slowly try and raise it every few days, as long as he doesn't show any signs of struggle - until you are at the same depth as the tank you want to put him in. Some fish tho don't do well in large tanks for this reason.

If only Daryl were here, she would know. undecided.gif

Me too! Her info was way beyond valuable. She should write a book.