Rosy Red Minnow Big Belly

jingyu

I understand this is goldfish forum, but I am sure there are a lot of experts knowledgable about minnows.

I got this rosy red minnow oever 1 inch long from the store last day, and it got a huuuuge belly, it does seem to me that it is pregant.

Now I heard that minnows lay their egges but dont get pregnant? I also thought maybe it got disease? but from its sympotoms, it is very agile, and healthy.

So I guess they do get pregnant? How long does it take to lay eggs? it's been 4 days already.

Oops. I just responded on your other thread. :D

Minnows are egg layers so the females don't get pregnant but they become gravid. They will fill up with eggs but in my experience their tummy will just be slightly rounder than usual. Without a male the female will release the unfertilized eggs when the time is right. :)

Oops. I just responded on your other thread. :D

Minnows are egg layers so the females don't get pregnant but they become gravid. They will fill up with eggs but in my experience their tummy will just be slightly rounder than usual. Without a male the female will release the unfertilized eggs when the time is right. :)

Hi, so it seems to be that she is gravid, cuz her belly is really bulked, and yes it is round, it's like u just blew air into her stomach, it's really big.

And when is the right time? a week? a month?

and yeah, I do have male fish, I have like 11, so there must be male lol :)

Well if you have a male he will get her to release the eggs usually as soon as she is ready there is no set time. But I believe there needs to be some special conditions for them to spawn. A certain temperature and they need somewhere to lay the eggs. Once the eggs are laid it usually takes about 5 days at a certain to temp for the eggs to hatch. I suggest you do a google search on Rosy red minnow breeding. :)

but isnt there suppose to be a male which gets the female gravid or something? or does the female gets gravide herself and then the male do something?

I mean, she isnt mating with any males...

sorry, i am probably not making any sense here...

The female will produce the eggs on her own whether there is a male or not. The male will then help her expel the eggs and fertilize them as she lays them. They are a bit like bettas. Once the eggs are laid and the male fertilized them then he will care for the eggs until they hatch. :)

so how would the male be interested in her? I think I have a few that are gravid...

and I can't exactly tell which is male.

I got an over 2 inch long minnow with a black patch on its head, I assume its male?

if it is a male,

i think it's quite old, because it's over 2 inch long, it's pretty big for a minnow, but yes it does look perfectly hearlthy!

so I dont know if he is still fit enough ;)

Yes I think the one with the black spot on his head would be a male. :)

You need to have some rocks or little clay pots in the tank otherwise they wont breed. Here is a very good article on breeding Rosy red minnows also called Fathead minnows. :D

Breeding minnows

Yes I think the one with the black spot on his head would be a male. :)

You need to have some rocks or little clay pots in the tank otherwise they wont breed. Here is a very good article on breeding Rosy red minnows also called Fathead minnows. :D

Breeding minnows

Thankyou!

yeah i had rocks and hidding places already, it's just there are 11 in a tank, and that's the only tank i got, dude to family issue, i cant use up any more stuff, so that's the only tank i am sticking to lol