Sign in to follow this  
Iseul

How Much Omega One To Feed

I have 3 roughly 3 inch (7 - 8 cm) long single-tailed goldfish and I feed them Omega One small sinking goldfish pellets as their staple diet.

Can someone tell me exactly how much I should feed them everyday? As in the approximate number of pellets to feed? These pellets are very small (only around 1.5 mm across)

See: http://www.omegasea.net/small_goldfish_pellets.html (that's what I feed them)

At the moment I'm feeding twice daily with around 20 - 30 pellets each time, and they always eat all of them quite quickly.

As long as they gulp down everything in around 2 minutes you're good to go. :)

I feed mine the medium-sized ones and they all get about 20 pellets (the five of them) and they're gone quickly. :rofl

How big are your goldfish?

They vary in size. :) I don't know the measurements, but the largest is as big as my hand and she smallest is about two fingers wide.

To clarify: I don't give them 20 pellets EACH. xD

Yes but the medium sized pellets have twice the diameter as the small sized pellets, which means their volume is 8 times larger. That is to say, 1 medium-sized pellet equals 8 small sized pellets, and 20 medium sized pellets equals 160 small sized pellets!

Do you feed them 20 pellets each time? How many times do you feed them in a day?

If your feeding regime is right, then it would most likely mean I'm under-feeding my fish and they are not getting enough food.

(I'm only feeding the equivalent of 6 - 8 medium sized pellets to ALL my 3 fish in an entire day)

I changed from the small to the medium Omega One pellets. This has helped a floaty issue with one of my fish. They are around 4 inches.

It isn't an exact science. One of my fish inevitably eats more than the other.

Rigth now, I am experimenting with around 4 medium sized pellets per feeding. My goal is 3 times a day. But I also keep an eye on how fast my little piggy swoops in and how much he gets. And I am also keeping an eye on when he might get floaty.

hi isuel ,

If you want to be that picky about the pellet , then you should weigh your fish , the pellets and also discover how much protien and fat the foods contain. then you can make a vgood estimate of what might be correct doses for what you wish to acomplish with your fish.

Edited by mikroll

I changed from the small to the medium Omega One pellets. This has helped a floaty issue with one of my fish. They are around 4 inches.

It isn't an exact science. One of my fish inevitably eats more than the other.

Rigth now, I am experimenting with around 4 medium sized pellets per feeding. My goal is 3 times a day. But I also keep an eye on how fast my little piggy swoops in and how much he gets. And I am also keeping an eye on when he might get floaty.

Do you mean 4 medium pellets per feeding per fish, or for all of the fishes?

Another way to measure how much they is to simply continue feeding until they show no interest in the food anymore, in one go.

Edited by Iseul

Another way to measure how much they is to simply continue feeding until they show no interest in the food anymore, in one go.

If you do this, you certainly will be overfeeding. Goldfish have a large appetite and no stomach.

The two minute rule is dangerous here also.

How much to feed is just one of those things you learn over time keeping goldfish, I'm afraid. Many beginners feed too much, and have to deal with the problems that result from that (dirty water, high nitrates, excessive poop, floaty fish, and even increased algae). Feeding too little leads to fish that just look thin and unhealthy.

It's trial and error, and eventually you find the right balance. You'll get to the point where you can just eyeball a new fish and have a pretty good idea of how much to feed it (based on its size, body type, activity level, etc.).