Sign in to follow this  
Guest Angel93

Think About Getting A Black Moor

Guest Angel93

I have been thinking of getting a black moor for a college companion. My school only allows fish in the dorms because thay cant escape. I have a 10 gallon tank and dont know what to put in it. When I was 4 years old I had a goldfish and had him for almost 8 years before our pleco killed him :(. Ever since I have wanted another goldfish and think Panda Moors are beautiful but not sure if I want one or a black moor because of their color loss. Will my ten gallon be too small for just one? If with other appropriate equipment can it be acceptable for it? If so what equipment should I use? I do plan on getting a 20 gallon tank as I get the money saved up for one so maybe around christmas lol it can be it's present. But for now if I get a baby one will my 10 gallon be okay? Also with what other fish besides another goldfish can I place in the tank with it? I dont think its fair to leave a fish by him/herself. I wouldnt want to be alone all the time. Please help :)

Edited by Angel93

One goldfish will be fine in a 10 until christmas. However, I wouldn't add another until you can get at least a 30 gallon tank. Goldfish do just fine alone :)

Yep, I agree one goldie will be just fine in your 10 gallon tank! As a matter of fact I predict it will become a spoiled rotten pet!! :bounce

I'd choose another smaller fish for a ten gal tank.

Guest Angel93

Well Thanks everyone for helping me :D Au-fish, what other fish would you recommend? It'll be awhile before I can even use my 10 gallon tank lol I saved some frog eggs and now have tadpoles and baby frogs in and on it. I'll have to wait for all the tadpoles to grow all their legs and hop away before I can clean the tank so I'll have all the supplies before then. Thanks again everyone :)

A betta would be great for college. They don't require the large filters or massive weekly water changes. I personally have my one betta and some neon tetras in my 10 gallon.

Maybe a planted tank with a small school of tetras or guppies? :)

I also vote for a betta. Bettas have so much personality, and they are just fun to watch :)

Yes, one betta in a 10g, with a small filter and some live plants will not need great care. I take care of my mother in law's betta, he lives in a 10g with a 80gph HOB filter, a thin layer of gravel, a small cave which he sleeps in, and a couple java ferns since they don't need much light.

He gets a 10% water change weekly, and every 4 - 6 weeks gravel vacuuming with a big water change. Usually there is only very little waste in the gravel thanks to the filter and plants, the water parameters are always perfect with the plants even keeping the nitrate at close to 0.

Every half year I do a complete cleaning of the tank. I remove the fish into a bowl of tank water, take the floss out of the filter (I have three big pieces of floss in there, nothing else, this holds enough BBs for a betta), squeeze and swish it out in the tank.

Scrub down the inside glass with a fish safe brush, then drain the tank as much as possible, remove the gravel, rinse the gravel thoroughly in hot tap water (again, since it's only 1 betta in 10 gallons the BBs in the filter floss are more than sufficient, so here I don't worry about BBs in the gravel), take the filter and heater out, rinse the actual tank either outside with a hose or in the shower / bath tub.

Then I put it all back together, fill it with matched water, toss the fish back in - done.

This big cleaning takes only about an hour. The regular weekly 10% water change, I do this with an empty 1 gallon water jug. It takes approximately 137 seconds. :rofl

Guest Angel93

Okay, thanks everyone! I had a beta once as well but due to the fact that I was young and my mom wouldnt get me a heater, he passed away. His named was Ozzy and he was baby blue turning purple. He had alot of personality so I may do just that and get another one. What would be the best place to get one? nnnnnn has them and I feel bed for the ones there. Would one from there be okay? Or should I go somewhere else like vvvv or Pet Co.? I can do my own research on tank conditions and what fish go along with them better =D but once again thanks everyone! This has been very helpful!

Guest Angel93

The blank spaces were supposed to spell wally world lol

I have recently seen dragon bettas at my local pet$mart and they are beautiful. My two bettas are from pet*co.

Guest Angel93

Im actually considering getting 2-3 "peaceful bettas" aka betta imbellis. They can live in group communities but prefer to be with their own kind. They do well with relaxed fish. Also they are cared for the same way a normal betta, "siamese fighting fish". They have the same living conditions and everything from what I have seen and read up on. They can even cross breed with siamese fighting fish. The only problem is finding one. Apparently you cannot get them at ccccc or mmm. I'll have to use a breeder and hopefully a local one because I dont trust having one shipped in the mail. Hopefully the pet store, thats not far from the college Im going to, will have them. They do tend to carry different fish than the ones Im used to. They even had a baby blue-grey bunny the last time I was there and the fish my friend bought for his pond were healthy and are still happy energetic fish lol He bought Koi to go with his goldfish!

if you get a betta I recommend getting one from the breeders on Aquabid. Those are in great health.

if you get a betta I recommend getting one from the breeders on Aquabid. Those are in great health.

This! My girlfriend got hers from Aquabid and he's lovely. The bettas I have owned have come from the auctions of local betta fish societies and I've been rather happy with them as well--no shipping, but they were very high quality and there were also other betta species besides splendens.

Just a thought ~

I am gunna throw my 2 cents in :) Bettas are wonderful! (I have 5, lol!!) and a 10 gallon with plants, live or fake, make GREAT female communities. With a HEAVILY decorated tank with a few caves, I had 5 female betas for a long time and they were great.

Also in a 10, You could do a brackish tank and do like 3-4 mollies (I love balloon mollies, and they look like fancy goldfish!)

One of my other favorites, black skirt tetra's. you could do 4-5 in a 10, they get about 2 inches and are really nice guys who are hardy

Good luck with college! When I did my undergrad I convinced them into letting me keep my hermit crabs, who I still have! They are 8 years old now, and going to come with me into my grad program :)

Guest Angel93

Once again thanks everyone. I was looking at Aquabid last night and did some research on the betta imbellis and dragon betta species and I have my eyes on getting a black and white dragon betta or a couple peaceful bettas(preferably black and blue). I have also had the wonderful experience of owning hermit crabs but a new one I brought home(and yes I kept it quarrantined) had some disease that killed all but one of them whom I later gave to a friand of mine who has 3 or 4 others. They have been and are in excellent condition. I also contacted a breeder last night to see if he has any black dragon bettas for sale that arent of breeding/showing quality. He hasnt contacted me as of yet but I am hopeful. I got to see a blue metallic betta he has for sale and he is beautiful so after I have been contated and get to see pictures of a black dragon (if he has any) then I will decide on whether or not to purchase him. If he doesnt have any then I will most definitely persue a dragon on aquabid and may even get a couple of betta imbellis. I think betta imbellis will be a better choice but I do think that the dragon bettas are gorgeous lol Thanks again everyone!

You can find very nice fish at Pet$mart or Wally World etc. I got my little girl from Pet$mart. In 10 gallons, I think you can also keep a few females together, if there is enough vegetation/hiding spaces.

Breeders might have nicer ones, but I am convinced that often you can find just as pretty ones at the LFS.

If you're considering a betta or plakat, why not also consider a paradise fish?

I'm not a huge betta fan but I do appreciate them. I prefer the wild types like the simplex. They're a little harder to find but if you can find an Asian owned fish store near you, they may have them. Not to say non-Asian owned stores won't have them though. :yeah:

Just be sure you have a lid on your tank.

Guest Angel93

Well, I've got my eye on a black and blue dragon beta at the moment but if he sells before I can get him, I'll look into paradise fish. But at the moment Im really liking the betta. He is gorgeous. He is on Aquabid and he is a halfmoon tail and his name on there is Godfather black fish, if any one is interested in looking at him lol He is so pretty. But for some reason I cant find any with the same coloration as the one I used to own. He was a pale color that depending on the light appeared really light blue to a light lilac. He had very odd coloring and I bought him at Wally world. I wonder why I cannot find any like him :unsure:

You could also check out dwarf puffers -- a pair of them would be wonderful in a 10 gallon tank, and they're purely freshwater. Check out www.dwarfpuffers.com for info on them. They're super-friendly and interactive with their owners. Mine used to crack me up all the time.

Guest Angel93

Okay, so the male betta I was looking into slipped from my grasp so Im now looking for another betta. Anyone know any breeding companies or stores that carry black and blue halfmoon bettas? Or even all black bettas? I like the white ones also? Both fish breeding places I have contacted never contacted me back so Im kinda at a loss. Any recommendations?

:doh11:

BettaAkapes has been great to us. I might have already said that; I swear I'm not plugging on purpose :P

Guest Angel93

They dont have any new fish in =( unfortunately. Nice website though! Thank you!

Guest Angel93

RanchuDressing, I have to admit. dwarf puffers are adorable! I saw one today at a wally world and he played with me! He followed my finger without using his tail and he swam backwards while doing this!! I think I may get one or two because they are so much more interactive than bettas!! That little puffer made my day!! Even my boyfriend who isnt a fish person loved the little guy :D The puffers in the same aqaurium all appeared to be the same age and werent full grown yet and seemed healthy, which is great!! I cant wait! Also, I found yet another little tadpole has escaped the aquarium as a baby tree frog! Luckily I kept my aquarium outside cause I dont have a lid for it yet and dont want little baby frogs all over the place but the aquarium is in a safe place and has no damage at all. I also found a starter kit 20 gallon fish tank for only $78.??. The kit includes fake plants, gravel, fish anti-shock water treatment, fish food flakes, etc. I cannot wait to get my aquarium going!! Im holding off on getting the starter tank though. Im not sure how big my dorm room is so the smaller tank may be best for less space. I did get placed in the honors hall though so maybe their rooms will be bigger! Also, my roommate like animals!! She has a turtle that she wants to bring but cant cause its not allowed but she may also get some fish! I'll direct her to the forum if she does decide to get some little fish!! Thank you all!!