Sign in to follow this  
Iseul

Freezed Dried Tubifex

I bought a 10 gram pack of freeze-dried tubifex worms today to add some variety to my goldfish's diet. (Their staple food is Omega One small goldfish sinking pellets) I've heard from people and read on the Practical Fishkeeping magazine (a major fishkeeping magazine in the UK) that live tubifex worms should be avoided as fish food due to the habitats tubifex live in, which can contain a lot of parasites and bacteria.

Would it be ok to feed the freeze-dried tubifex to the goldfish? These are made by King British, which is a well-known brand in the UK, and AFAIK the process of freeze-drying does kill off the majority of known microbes and parasites, since even those that can survive freezing cannot usually survive complete sublimation in a vacuum. It's not like I'm feeding live tubifex or even frozen tubifex to my fish. But I just want to be sure. Perhaps I should got the freeze-dried bloodworms today instead, which are also made by King British.

What do you think?

Anything freeze dried can lead to constipation. I wouldn't use it for goldfish. You can mix it into some gel food though.

Well, frankly I'm not so concerned with constipation if that were the only problem, because I'm only going to feed it infrequently and in small amounts.

My main concern is the possibility of bacterial or parasitic infection due to ingesting the freeze-dried tubifex worms. If this isn't really an issue, then I can relax more.

I have the Tetra Fresh Delica bloodworms and brine shrimp as well as supplemental food. Apparently they are quite good quality. They are gel-based food and contained in 16 small packets each, and if the packets are not opened, the food can be kept at room temperature for a very long time. (More than 2 years according to the "best before" date on the packs)

You should be fine. Although I have never used that brand I have used may others and never had a problem. You can also give them a little fish vitamin soak before feeding them. It the states we have products like Vita-Chem.