Sign in to follow this  
shellbell4ever

Medicated Food As

As of recently i have lost two of my favorite lionhead's Mama Finns and then Meenie :( I finally received the medicated anti parasite food by jungle today(all be it late :()...and now I'm wondering if I should feed it to my goldfish as a precaution,being i don't know why they got sick :( my numbers are all good...other than the new fish which were prazied and treated with salt in qt...What do you all think???

I don't think this is a good idea at all. If you feed them medicated food when they are not sick, and then they get sick they may have a bug that will be resistant to the meds. The same reasons docs don't give you antibiotics all the time, superbugs!

I wouldn't. There are other things you could do as a precaution. Have you done the prolonged salting at 0.3? If not that could be a good place to start. If you have already done it you could do some PP baths?

I would keep the food incase you need it. So it stays fresh and has also more chance of working if they have never been on it.

If your other fish aren't showing any symptoms there is no reason to do anything other than regular water changes :)

OK thanks for all the input :) my other guys are all looking good so no worries...should I keep the foods in the fridge to keep them longer??? they are not sealed or anything??just screw on caps?? :( and it wasn't cheap either!!!I can not find any retailers here with PP???

I say no to prophylactic abs. Not for fish ever. JMO.

There is no need to use PP either :) You say you salted and prazied you fish in QT.

You can keep meds in a cool dark non humid place. It is really preferable to the fridge where meds can get moist if opened.

I lost a lot of fish this year and know what it's like to fear that you will lose what you have left :(

My precaution was to sterilize my tank. Very annoying because you have to cycle it again, but it got rid of anything bad that might have been in there. I didn't treat the fish anything, just the tank and filter.

Like the others have said, I really wouldn't feed medicated food as a precaution. It will stress the fish's system for no definite reason.

I'm sorry you've lost your fish. It's never easy. cry3.gif

I agree with Chrissy about having a fear of losing the others to the same thing. But you've gotten really great advice about not treating with meds or dips if there is no reason to.

edit Also, if you're in NY are there no P'smarts?? I'm south of you in VA and that is where I can buy the Jungle med food. I can't believe you couldn't find it!! ohmy.gif

I don't think this is a good idea at all. If you feed them medicated food when they are not sick, and then they get sick they may have a bug that will be resistant to the meds. The same reasons docs don't give you antibiotics all the time, superbugs!

----

If your other fish aren't showing any symptoms there is no reason to do anything other than regular water changes :)

exactly.gif

I say no to prophylactic abs. Not for fish ever. JMO.

There is no need to use PP either :) You say you salted and prazied you fish in QT.

You can keep meds in a cool dark non humid place. It is really preferable to the fridge where meds can get moist if opened.

exactly.gif

I lost a lot of fish this year and know what it's like to fear that you will lose what you have left :(

My precaution was to sterilize my tank. Very annoying because you have to cycle it again, but it got rid of anything bad that might have been in there. I didn't treat the fish anything, just the tank and filter.

Like the others have said, I really wouldn't feed medicated food as a precaution. It will stress the fish's system for no definite reason.

exactly.gif

Edited by Martha

^all of the pet$marts near me stopped carrying it :( they only have the anti-bacteria food.

^all of the pet$marts near me stopped carrying it :( they only have the anti-bacteria food.

oh dear, I wonder why?

As a matter of fact it is a hot topic. I think it was Rick (and I got this info from a Mod on another forum) said they are phasing out all aquarium antibiotics in the US. Due to common fish bacteria having developed resistance to over use of antibiotics.The bacteria actually morph to avoid the meds and after several generations become resistant. One single letter in one bacterium's genetic code changes every 6 weeks so after some time emerging forms become completely new composites with all new defences, incorporating the defense to the ab they were exposed to in a previous generation. :(.

In the UK and Australia you have to go to a vet to get them after all, perhaps it will become like that...eventually.

However, i am still seeing new products coming out so i don't know about the validity of this rumor :ignore.

I have to say, as much as it would be a great pain, it is necessary that they start to phase things out. Antibiotic resistance is no joke.

Indeed. Just have to look at MRSA and the most recent salmonella offspring outbreak :(

With the continued regeneration of the bacteria cells and their ability to add these new defences it also makes sense to me that antibiotics are only going to work on one tank once. The same bacteria are evolving in our tanks.

Interesting and probably a good thing if they make people take the extra step of ordering antiobiotics.

I agree with the thought of sterilizing the tank...that is my go to when something is off. Though I save sterilizing my filter media and ditching my cycle for an actual outbreak of something. And I've had to do it...a total pain, but the only way to knock something out of a tank.

alrighty then ;) no med food unless needed :) into the closet it will go :)

As for the PP I haven't found it near me yet??? Thanks again everyone :) like i said so far Kisses,Eenie and Jazz and Jet show no signs of illness and seem happy as can be :)

PP won't be found in any pet store or a store's pet area. It's an industrial chemical. I purchased some at Sears in their appliances department (fridges, washers, a/c units, etc)

Edited by Martha

And it is illegal in many states, including mine. I would just keep the water as pristine as possible, triple up the water changes and look for any signs of illness. Good food, good water should be your mantra right now.

And it is illegal in many states, including mine. I would just keep the water as pristine as possible, triple up the water changes and look for any signs of illness. Good food, good water should be your mantra right now.

Doesn't California have warnings on just about everything letting you know that they've found it can cause cancer? Almost everything is illegal there. Except for some medicinal items as long as you have a prescription! Whistle.gif

I had my PP crystals mailed to me w/ no questions or problemsyeah.gifNow,trying to get water lettuce shipped here from out of state is another story,entirely! Seems they consider it a nuisance as it can clog water ways!oops.gifBah!!!!!!!!!!

I had my PP crystals mailed to me w/ no questions or problemsyeah.gifNow,trying to get water lettuce shipped here from out of state is another story,entirely! Seems they consider it a nuisance as it can clog water ways!oops.gifBah!!!!!!!!!!

both illegal here.. PP is used in the morgues to preserve the "lively" appearance of dead ppl for funerals.. and water lettuce is banned here as yes, it does clog the waterways.

PP is also illegal in Canada apparently. I've asked around and everyone looks oddly at me, even Sears doesn't sell it anymore. :idont

PP is also illegal in Canada apparently. I've asked around and everyone looks oddly at me, even Sears doesn't sell it anymore. :idont

It's also harder to get here in the US. These days, you must order it online, I believe.

On the topic of Potassium Permanganate (PP), without going into a discussion of its effectiveness etc., I think at this point it is safe to say that this is a chemical that is no longer widely available. In light of other alternatives that are more readily available, we should consider making non-PP suggestions in most cases, if not all. It can be very frustrating getting a suggestion to do something, but the person cannot obtain the means.

Doesn't California have warnings on just about everything letting you know that they've found it can cause cancer? Almost everything is illegal there. Except for some medicinal items as long as you have a prescription! Whistle.gif

Totally true...there are cancer warnings everwhere! Funny that nobody ever worries about cancer from smoking that particular medicine:rofl Though more and more people are vaporizing which means that I don't have to smell it in my apartment. There were talks of vending machines, but I don't think that passed.

It's also harder to get here in the US. These days, you must order it online, I believe.

On the topic of Potassium Permanganate (PP), without going into a discussion of its effectiveness etc., I think at this point it is safe to say that this is a chemical that is no longer widely available. In light of other alternatives that are more readily available, we should consider making non-PP suggestions in most cases, if not all. It can be very frustrating getting a suggestion to do something, but the person cannot obtain the means.

This is a good point. It doesn't help to get a suggestion that you don't have access to. I feel badly suggesting anything that people need to order because it takes time and I know how hard it can be to watch a fish struggling while you are waiting for a shipment.

I've never even tried to get it. I thought about it when I sterilized my tank awhile back, but I ended up just using a mild bleach solution. I definitely won't be suggesting it for anything if it is so hard to find.