Sign in to follow this  
Ang9000

Recommend Me A Filter Please?

Hi guys

Can you please recommend me a filter for a 54L tank with 1 oranda in? I'm in the UK so something they sell over here would be good. Don't really understand gallons so not sure how many 54 litres are :unsure::bingo:

Also is it necessary to have a specific aquarium stand or could I just use a small table/unit?

Edited by Ang9000

Hi guys

Can you please recommend me a filter for a 54L tank with 1 oranda in? I'm in the UK so something they sell over here would be good. Don't really understand gallons so not sure how many 54 litres are :unsure::bingo:

Also is it necessary to have a specific aquarium stand or could I just use a small table/unit?

Hi There! I am UK too. are you planning on using this as a permanent home for you oranda? If you are, please get a bigger tank, I am sure that your fish would appreciate it :) 80 litres you will need for you oranda, not 54 if you are planning on using this as fishie's permanent home. I guess you could use a table/ unit if you are planning on this for a quarantine tank, but If you get an 80 litre+ tank you will need to get a cabinet designed for that tank. (most tank manufacturers make stands fitted to their tank). You need ten times filtration for your tank per hour (for example, If you had a 100 litre tank, you would need a filter that did 1000lph output. The fluval u4 filter does 1000 litres per hour if you are interested). one of the filters I have is called the biobox 2, which does something like 640 lph, and is available from seapets. :);) hope this helps. As Koko said, you could keep one oranda in here, but he would probably appreciate the extra room of an 80 litre tank.

PS. I don't know how new you are to fish, so do you know about cycling of a tank?

PPS: one US gallon = 3.8 litres :)

Edited by ilovefantails

Thanks for the advice. We're slowly moving him up to bigger tanks as and when we can. We were given awful advice when we bought him and he started off in a tiny 14L. Moved him up to a bigger one, and now my friend is selling me her 54L really cheap. I would ideally like about 180L so he can have a friend, but can't afford it right now. Hopefully once I start my new job next month, we can re house him again.

I do know about cycling the tank...I think! :)