Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve in London

Fish 'jumped' Out Tank

Guest Steve in London

Umm, a bit of a strange one.

One of my fish in my office 'jumped' out of its bowl about a week ago (because there was way too much water in the bowl) and was discovered on the floor - we don't know for how long the fish was out of the water. At first it was swimming very poorly and leaning to one side but is now swimming ok and feeding.

It seems to have suffered damage to its dorsal fin and all the fins on its right side and tail, also the skin seems to be peeling away backwards from the gill and turning pink/red.

The gill also has a 'bruise' on it.

The fins are in a bad shape and appear to disintegrating.

I am afraid I am unable to check the quality of the water but can tell you it is changed every two weeks and the tank also has a pump.

Is there anything that can be done?

did you mention the fish was in a bowl? If so, he is in for a world of issues. I hate to be blunt, but the fish needs a minimum of 10 or 20 gallons.

Hi and welcome!

I think you will find these links useful.

10 steps to a healthy goldfish

Goldfish Filtration

Goldfish care

Goldfish are not very athletic fish. They don't usually jump out of tanks. I think your fish jumped out because the water quality was so bad and it was burning him :( He won't be able to recover in a bowl.

Please read the links above about the basic care they need. If there a way you could get him a tank?

welcometo.jpg

Unfortunately I agree that the fish jumped out because of bad water. :(

However, the links provided above will greatly assist you in getting the water into shape.

I have some questions for you too.

1. How many liters is the bowl?
  2. Size of fish (not including tail).
  3. What type of filter do you have? You mentioned a 'pump'. What brand and Gallons per Hour?
  4. What kind of dechlorinator do you use?
  5. Have you added aquarium salt or any medications?
  6. Are there any other fish in there?
  7. Do you have access to a water testing kit? Preferable the drop and not strip. The results needed should be in parts per million (ppm). The major test results needed at this time would be (1)pH, (2) ammonia, (3) nitrAte, and (4) nitrite.

Hope to hear back from you soon! fish.gif