Sign in to follow this  
Peanuts

I Have Fry!

Hi Guys.

It's been ages since I've been on the forums, but I'm posting to ask for advise on how to look after Fry. I have never had fry before and was shocked to find 3 babies living in my filter at the weekend. I hadn't even seen any eggs in the tank so was very shocked to see babies.

I've moved the babies to a small tank with a sponge filter, I'm doing 20% water changes every day and feeding the babies ground up flakes. Is this okay? Do I need to do anything else or change what I'm doing?

IMAG0165-2.jpg

Congrats.gif

Sorry I can't help with fry.

Wow Peanuts, :Congrats: They look to be about a month old already. How incredible. Little miracle fish to escape the big fish mouths :)

I should take great care with the water changes. Backs get broken easily unless those are very carefully done, although they survived the waves in the big tank so I am sure all is good. I would also get some baby brine shrimp, you can buy it frozen at the pet store.

Did you seed the sponge with good bacteria from your home tank? :)

How many gallons is there in the tank?

By the way :Congrats:

though i dont know much about goldfish fry i have taken care of many many guppy fry mine did very well on the gel food they seemed to grow twice as fast and color up sooneri tried feeding my guppy fry blood worms,and hakari first bites along with flakes but i like the gel food the most and its easy for them to eat and keeps the tank cleaner.

a good way to clean the fry tank without sucking anyone up is to use airline tubing as a sypnon

I will be no help since I have only bred angelfish but congrats!

a good way to clean the fry tank without sucking anyone up is to use airline tubing as a sypnon

Great idea! Turkey baster works too.

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

The tank is about 5-7 gallons but i've only filled it about 3/4 full as i was scared that there would be too much pressure for the babies. Is this not an issue? could they go into a larger tank? I have a 30 gal that is standing empty at the moment but though that this would be far too big for such ikle fish.

I'm using a turkey baster to remove the water and slowly filling it up using a jug. Time consuming but fingers crossed none of the babies have been hurt or bumped too much.

I think the filter is okay, I soaked it in the filter water from the parents tank, don't know if they would have help to seed it but it seemed a good idea. I also filled 1/4 of the babies tank with water from the filter.

Are the babies really a month old? they are about 1cm long and look like fully formed tiny fish.

I feel really bad that I didn't find them before last week. :(