Sign in to follow this  
ilovefantails

I Was Basically Doing Animal Cruelty

Look at this. Billy used to live in a tank the exact same as this, just a few months ago... http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/plastic-aquariums/marina-cool-blue-21-litre.html

now he's in the same tank as this... http://www.seapets.co.uk/view-image.html?title=Aquatlantis%20Ambiance%2080x40%20Aquarium%20And%20Cabinet%20Light%20Wood&filename=973000-large.jpg[/img]

How things have changed, all thanks to Koko's :')

Edited by ilovefantails

I have one of those little tanks, my betta used to live in it, but he was always swimming up and down and didn't look very comfortable so now he has a long tank and is much happier :) Those tanks aren't any use for anything in my opinion <_< Good job on the upgrade ;)

I have one of those little tanks, my betta used to live in it, but he was always swimming up and down and didn't look very comfortable so now he has a long tank and is much happier :) Those tanks aren't any use for anything in my opinion <_< Good job on the upgrade ;)

Yes, Billy seems like he enjoys the upgrade, and Rolo was very lucky when I picked her. all the rest of the fish in her tank (they were all goldfish of some sort, probably one of the earliest culls as fish in her tank had eyes and fins missing) have probably ended up in tiny bowls or tanks like the one i used to have billy in. Believe it or not, The leaflet that came with it said I could keep up to four goldfish in it. :o

Before I was way over stocked too. but thanks to the help of kokos I'm with a much happier fish!

This site is so amazing. By the way, Golden fishy, I love your siggy. I only just realized that the fish follow your mouse! :D

Edited by ilovefantails

Believe it or not, The leaflet that came with it said I could keep up to four goldfish in it. :o

The description on the Pets at Home website in the UK said the same thing, I sent them a lovely ranty email and they changed it to 'a goldfish', baby steps I guess...

This site is so amazing. By the way, Golden fishy, I love your siggy. I only just realized that the fish follow your mouse! :D

I didn't realize that either. :rofl

This is why I am opposed to marketing these aquariums as goldfish tanks.This is false advertising, instead of banning fish bowls, this sort of false advertising should be banned.

Thanks!

banning is a great idea. if i only had any pull... lso since i came to this forum, my tank has been sooo much happier. and also i am happier, indirectly because of it

isnt it nice how they picture 5 goldfish in that little thing? :badidea

its no wonder people think its ok to house goldfish in there

Edited by xchairity_casex

Nice job, Miss ILF! Good to see you back! Stick around a while, eh? :ehh

Click with your mouse to "feed" the fish!

I bet MOST of us started out with TOO many fish & NOT enough water!!!!

Click with your mouse to "feed" the fish!

Wow!!!!!!I had no idea they did that. Love it! :bounce

U.K. becks, I did get it from Pets@home. It makes me sad, because theres a entire aisle in my pets at home, with tiny plastic kiddie tanks. I'm guessing they are for goldfish, seeing as young children love them. :'( i see dead goldies floating around in some of the new arrival tanks there. I hate pets at home. I was nine when I got that tank. Also in the leaflet that came with it said that If I put nutrafin cycle and nutrafin aqua plus in and leave for 2-3 days it would be Ok to put fish in. I didnt know a thing about cycling, and considering my first four got a 20% WC once a week, even during the cycle, they lived for a few months which surprised me as They probably would have died in a few days. My first little black tele, 'Raptor' died in the first few days though. When I asked in PAH why that could be, the lady just said "they are very sensitive to water quality".

Another thing that happened a few months ago in PAH was (since Billy wasnt growing a wen, and he was 18 months at the time) I asked "why isnt he growing a wen?" as he was sold to me as an oranda. The person serving me said "wens can take years to develop". Billy is definetly a fantail though.

Pets At Home annoy me. So Much.

PS: Blackteles, thank for the warm welcome back by the way :)

I tend to find the best thing to do at P@H is to not ask an employee for advice. Answer the questionnaire if you're buying fish and get out of there! The stores really vary too, the Teesside one is awful, but Stockport (their flagship) and Gateshead Metrocentre are both really good. I've not seen a sick fish for sale at the Metrocentre one and it's somewhere I'd be happy buying fish from.

Right Pets at Home (you've started me now, lol!) I go to the one on the Wirral from time to time. Before I had much idea about buying fish I bought some from my LFS and others from Pets at Home. I was told by an assistant that I could keep nine goldfish in my 25 Gallon tank. Since coming on here and getting myself a little clued up I realised my tank was massively overstocked, instead of taking the advice of taking the fish back I bought a secondhand 4 foot tank. I spotted they had Flukes and treated with salt and wormer plus (donated by Devilduck :thanks) got my spade out and kept digging until I needed a ladder to get out the hole and my Wife saying "You can pack that in soft lad!" and built myself a 2000 ltr pond. My fish now live in there and have got massive.

I went into Pets at Home lately and spotted Ich, Fluke signs like flash and fin clamping, yawning and a lot of dead fish in tank, oh and fish with bright red skin sores.Now my LFS sometimes has fish with skin sores but they are usually pink or white which I've read is a good sign of them healing although it always says "Not for Sale" on the tank or pond. Plus the fish in my LFS are a lot better looking and look a lot better fed. He can always tell me where he bought his fish from too!

Now you know that what animal cruelty is