Sign in to follow this  
Kulukan

Floaty Fish Experiment

On the same fish shopping trip that I brought Oola home from I also picked out a tele to sell at the fish store. He started off completely fine but got floatier and floatier until I almost never saw him not belly up in the corner of the tank. He obviously wasn't going to get better and no one would ever take him home, so I brought him home for a little special attention.

The plan is to keep him in a shallow enough water depth so that he can stay upright, and then slowly increase that water level. The poor fellow was upside down in the bag as I brought him home. It is quite possible that he hasn't eaten in quite a few days as the other fish store employees probably wouldn't make sure the poor fellow got anything to eat. I plan on changing the water at least twice a day while he is in such a small amount of water, and he is going to eat only peas for 24 hours, then I will add in some gel food. Right now he is in 2.5 inches of water with an airstone and some java moss he showed some signs of struggling the floatiness at first, but has been swimming well (if a bit unstable) for at least 6 hours.

If anyone has some knowledge of rigging this shallow airstone into a sponge filter or any other suggestions it would be very appreciated.

He will probably be in my care for at least a couple of weeks and I am trying to resist adding him as the last of my indoor fish. My first precaution against falling in love with him is that I will only call him Floaty Fish and absolutely under no circumstances name him. I guess thats my only precaution. (I might as well call him Borg because I'm pretty sure that resistance is futile)

Here is is set up

I have no idea why this water looks so nasty here

IMG_4279.jpg

IMG_4280.jpg

and here is Floaty Fish (please refrain from enabling :P )

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

he is much cuter than this, but well, its through the side of a tub

IMG_4255.jpg

and a little video of his set up. I think I spaced out and when I looked down at the phone realized how long it was, but I do zoom out and actually show the set up at the end.

(sorry if my experiment is in the wrong section)

I have to...he is the cutest little telescope! His eyes are huge and his body so small. Adorable.

I think what you are doing for him is great :D

I have to...he is the cutest little telescope! His eyes are huge and his body so small. Adorable.

I just couldn't watch him floating anymore!! It broke my heart.

Agreed! I wish you the very best of luck. Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions. This is a very important project, and can benefit us all :)

AWE!!! :) It's so cute!!!!!!!!!!!! ............ Sorry to seem like an enabler.... Haha but anyways I hope your experiment works out as planned :)

Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions. This is a very important project, and can benefit us all :)

Yes, I can only agree here. All the floaty fish would benefit from any help.

Too bad though that I have not much to contribute. My fish only occasionally float, and then go back to being normal on their own.

But really, that is one gorgeous little fish. Maybe he will have to stay with you forever :rofl

I will only call him Floaty Fish and absolutely under no circumstances name him. I guess thats my only precaution. (I might as well call him Borg because I'm pretty sure that resistance is futile)

Ummmm...you know, I would consider Floaty Fish to actually be a name :rofl

:borggs: ....resistance is indeed futile

But seriously, good for you for trying this. Sadly back when I started out with goldfish I took over a tank that my sister had. The nitrates in there were insanely high and as a result I had to deal with a lot of floaty fish.

I think what you're doing now is great. One hopeful thing is that he is still quite small and hopefully not very old. Cross your fingers that his floating may just be temporary due to poor husbandry, rather than long term damage inflicted by infection, etc. and he may recover or 'grow out of it.' If he's not permanently floating, that is a good thing for sure.

Do you have salt in the water? I would go with a low concentration for sure, in some cases it helps - especially if the issue has to do with the kidneys.

AWE!!! :) It's so cute!!!!!!!!!!!! ............ Sorry to seem like an enabler.... Haha but anyways I hope your experiment works out as planned :)

But really, that is one gorgeous little fish. Maybe he will have to stay with you forever :rofl

Ummmm...you know, I would consider Floaty Fish to actually be a name :rofl

:borggs: ....resistance is indeed futile

well!! I see that none of you are going to me any help in bolstering my defenses against this little one!

I am happy to report that I woke up to a right side up fish, that is more active than he was last night and seems to be struggling a LOT less. He is constantly pecking at the bottom of his tub, I will have a hard time resisting feeding him and he will probably get a pea tonight if he is still swimming well. There was also a fat, healthy pea colored poo that I removed with my "fish only" turkey baster. I have done 2 little water changes since hes been home. I took a pitcher and removed a few scoops of water, then took a different scoop (so as to not contaminate) and refilled his little tank with water from my 55g.

There is no salt in there atm because I will be changing sooooo much water that it will be difficult to keep track of just how much is in there, and there is not filter atm. As the water level gets high enough to accommodate a filter I will probably salt the little bugger. His tank mates at the lfs brought home some lice (and who knows what else) from the wholesaler, but so far I haven't seen any on him.

Any suggestions on how quickly to increase the volume in the tub? I am very happy with him so far, I don't think hes been rightside up for this long in a while.

P.S. While I have no idea what the nitrates were in the water at the wholesaler I can personally vouch for the fact that for the past 4 weeks the water in his lfs tank has been changed every 3 days, and nitrates were never over 5. Some of the other employees kind of look at me like I'm nuts for the constant changes on the goldfish tanks, but I treat these fish as I would my own, and if my fish were in their situation (lice and other nonsense) I would do the same.

Maybe his floating was triggered by high nitrates? Some fish are extremely sensitive, and you can be sure that the levels at the lfs were not good. I'd give him another day or so to acclimate then try to increase the water depth a little (a couple of inches maybe) to see what happens.

Maybe his floating was triggered by high nitrates? Some fish are extremely sensitive, and you can be sure that the levels at the lfs were not good. I'd give him another day or so to acclimate then try to increase the water depth a little (a couple of inches maybe) to see what happens.

I just edited my post so you mighta missed it. The lfs water is very clean(I work there and obsess over my goldfish fosters) I'm sure the wholesaler was terrible though. Hes been at the lfs for 4 weeks in clean water and was floating, but who knows what the wholesaler water did to his fat little body.

Oh well that's a bit different. Often fish with nitrate issues will recover very quickly once placed in good water. Just keep up what you're doing and hopefully the little guy's issues will clear up :heart

Under most circumstances I bet the pet store water would be the issue. Ill bring a sample home and use my test kit to double check. I really don't know how old theirs is tbh.

It would be worth checking. Even in stores where tanks are cleaned often, with a lot of fish in the tanks the nitrates can really build up - I've had it happen in my own tank that was slightly overstocked, despite my best efforts.

boy does this guy produce ammonia fast! I dumped his tub and refilled it with water from the 55 and added a dose of Prime, I also stole the betta's submersible filter and suction cupped it to the bottom of the tub :) its not the best filter in the world but its better than nothing! I put in about an extra 1/2 inch of water, there is so little water in there that even a little more will make a big difference in diluting what he produces. I am gone all day so I will have to ask my boyfriend to care of this guy (its not unusual for me to call home from work and ask him to update me on my fish >.<)

He is still upright and happy :) I want to feed him so bad! Its a good thing that I'll be gone most of the day :P

do you think that cutting a hole through the center of a seeded filter sponge and putting the airstone through the middle of it would do any good? lol like a super make-shift sponge filter?

aw how cute of you to help him. he seems to be doing pretty great in that amount of water. I had about that about for Chunky Monkey :)

Raise it very slowly I would say. Another thing you can try is green water. I heard it works really well for these sorts of things. I am still trying to brew mine lol!

Can you find a small enough sponge filter to fit in there?

I'm glad you posted this as - call me uninformed - I've not heard of breaking floatiness by putting the fish in a small amount of water, so this is great!

This fish seems to have unusually large eyes. I mean, they look like they're almost half the body mass. And, if you look at the fish sideways, it looks like 3/4 of the body mass is below the lateral line. It appears to be very bottom heavy, so it's not a wonder this poor kid has a hard time with things. Hopefully he'll grow into himself a bit more.

But, it looks like it's managing very, very well and that's great!

You asked for "suggestions on how quickly to increase the volume in the tub." If I've learned anything, it's that you can't rush the goldfishkeeping process. I know you know how difficult it is to be patient and take things slowly, but I have to say, slow and patient is the best way. But, it's not like the end of the world if you put too much water in and the fish resorts back to floating. If that happens, you just take out some of the water until the fish goes back to being upright again.

I think your sponge over the airstone sounds like a good idea. Was this to create more media for BBs or was this to make finer air bubbles? Well, it doesn't matter, it would do both, I think. It certainly is worth a try to see how it works. Can't hurt, might just help.

Now, I'm certainly NOT trying to talk you into keeping this fish, but I can't help but wonder that this fish will always have sensitivity issues of one sort or another and will always need to be given special care, so that means you either keep him or "police" who he's sold to to ensure the buyer KNOWS what he's buying and would need to do for the little guy.

Good Luck! hopefully He'll get better with a little TLC. like the others said- What MASSIVE telescopes for his body size. So cute!!

I'm glad you posted this as - call me uninformed - I've not heard of breaking floatiness by putting the fish in a small amount of water, so this is great!

This fish seems to have unusually large eyes. I mean, they look like they're almost half the body mass. And, if you look at the fish sideways, it looks like 3/4 of the body mass is below the lateral line. It appears to be very bottom heavy, so it's not a wonder this poor kid has a hard time with things. Hopefully he'll grow into himself a bit more.

That's a good point, he may just need to grow into his awkward body! And as for the water volume, the less depth the less pressure on the swim bladder and the easier it can be for the fish to right himself.

So I made it about one day deluding myself into thinking this fish would go back to the fish store. I was basically going over the same statement that Linda just gave. This poor guy might never be totally normal, and the only chance he has at being normal or happy or healthy is with very specialized care for quite a while which is not what most fish owners would supply. So, welcome to your forever home Floaty Fish, you can have a new name later.

heres the updated set up with the filter. I don't know how effective it is by my ammonia is still zero but its only been 5 hours

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_4281-1.jpg

heres a better look at his body shape (and how much bigger one eye is :P)

IMG_4290-1.jpg

IMG_4289-1.jpg

hes got his butt up in the air quite a bit, but he could either have a floaty butt or constantly looking for food. Either way, all seems well atm.

IMG_4285-1.jpg

IMG_4283-1.jpg

So I made it about one day deluding myself into thinking this fish would go back to the fish store.

Haha! I already knew that you weren't going to return him/her. Let's see...you made a commitment that are months in the making (possibly), and that fish is darn cute. By the time he is all healed up and grown, I don't see her/him going anywhere other than the 75g. So it was never a question for me. No need to enable. Already done :P:))

Back to business...has he pooped today? Also, I know this will slower than you might like, but I would raise the water level only by about 1/2 inch every day.

So I made it about one day deluding myself into thinking this fish would go back to the fish store.

Haha! I already knew that you weren't going to return him/her. Let's see...you made a commitment that are months in the making (possibly), and that fish is darn cute. By the time he is all healed up and grown, I don't see her/him going anywhere other than the 75g. So it was never a question for me. No need to enable. Already done :P:))

Back to business...has he pooped today? Also, I know this will slower than you might like, but I would raise the water level only by about 1/2 inch every day.

I kinda knew too, but oh well. No indoor ranchu for me.

He pooped twice today, both healthy green poos. Still upright and happy :D I am in no rush to raise the water, I want to do what is best for him and if you think thats a half inch per day then I am totally down with that. I would rather take the time to heal him up right than deal with a super floaty and unhappy fish.

omg that is thee cutest tele ive EVER seen!!!! i would take that little cutie home in a heartbeat :P

im glad to hear all is going well congratz!

So I made it about one day deluding myself into thinking this fish would go back to the fish store. I was basically going over the same statement that Linda just gave. This poor guy might never be totally normal, and the only chance he has at being normal or happy or healthy is with very specialized care for quite a while which is not what most fish owners would supply. So, welcome to your forever home Floaty Fish, you can have a new name later.

.....heres a better look at his body shape (and how much bigger one eye is :P)

I still love the name, "Borg," when you jokingly said it the first time. And it makes so much sense too because resistance WAS futile, he has one eye bigger than the other, it will be a sort of private quip/history of his origins with you and being such a little guy, well, it's like calling a great big guy, "Tiny," cuz it's just the opposite of what he really is.

hes got his butt up in the air quite a bit, but he could either have a floaty butt or constantly looking for food. Either way, all seems well atm.

I'd rather see a "butts up" than a "belly up!"