Sign in to follow this  
Cwillis82

Obsessed

Can I be the only one? Does anyone else sit at work and all they can think about is fish?? What is wrong with me? I miss my fish when I'm at work. I think about when is the next time I'll watch Finding Nemo? I know my TFH magazine is due to come by mail soon and I can't wait. I was looking forward to doing a water change on my tank tonight. I can't wait to go to lunch so I can read a magazine or flip through a Fosters & Smith catalog that I've looked at over and over. I think about what other foods I can come up with to make them happy and to top it off I have the theme from the movie The Incredible Mr. Limpets running through my head to the point I'm either humming it or singing it softly hoping my co-workers don't hear me. I guess I need to get that movie out and watch it as well. It is one of my very favorite movies. One night we were sitting with friends and someone said to me, you look deep in thought, my g/f looked at me and said, you're thinking about your fish, aren't you? I tried to blow it off and said no :rolleyes: I was just......she said, yeah she was thinking about her fish. LOL busted.

Am I the only one that seems obsessed with their aquarium? I mean really it's non-stop! :wub:

By the way, :mytank1::mytank1::mytank1::mytank1::mytank1:

:x I've had my babies until really recently! It's my first fish tank so they are all I think about! I've been to the pet store 3 times last week and again today, and Im always browing products on the aisles and thinking "oh I wonder if they'll like this!" ... I sit for a longggg time in front of them :P they are my Fish TV! ....also first thing in the morning, I say good morning to them... they are in their hiding place and when Im comming close to the glass they come out and follow me from their tank!... soo yeah your not the only one!! they so so adorable! and sooo cuteeeeeeeee

I definitely used to be that way in the beginning. It's kind of like a new love I guess.

You're not alone! My bf thinks that there is something seriously wrong with me! :D I love researching fishy stuff online constantly. There is so much to learn and it is so fun, how could you not be a little obsessive!?

I've been in the hobby for about 15 years and I have to say that for me, the passion comes and goes. I have always maintained tanks or about to set up one even at those times when I am least interested with the hobby. Once a fish keeper, always a fish keeper. I also maintain different tropical fish so I don't get burned out. But then again, that's just me.

I can totally understand why a goldfish lover would just stick to goldfish and not bother with anything else.

I've had fish a long time but I've never felt burned out on it. I've had this 80 gallon since I was 14 so it's not a new tank to me. In fact, my dad's friend had given it to me and he had it set up in the 60's. I often wonder how long a seal will hold! So far so good.

I definitely used to be that way in the beginning. It's kind of like a new love I guess.

I've been in the hobby for about 15 years and I have to say that for me, the passion comes and goes.

I'm the same, but usually the passion is there for sure (it sometimes goes if I am very busy with other things in life or if I lose a beloved fish). I also work with fish all day everyday, so my life truly does revolve around them! But I think you need to be passionate about this hobby to really make it work, so obsession isn't a bad thing :D

I've been in the hobby for about 15 years and I have to say that for me, the passion comes and goes.

I'm the same, but usually the passion is there for sure (it sometimes goes if I am very busy with other things in life or if I lose a beloved fish). I also work with fish all day everyday, so my life truly does revolve around them! But I think you need to be passionate about this hobby to really make it work, so obsession isn't a bad thing :D

You work with fish? How so? Sounds like a cool job.

I'm a fisheries scientist (or marine biologist...but that's pretty generic). It can be great fun, but also loads of work :P

Yep I too am obsessed! Always browsing on here, trying to learn more and more about my goldies, searching online for giant tanks and filters, spending way too much money in the fish store! I'm always talking about them, I think it drives my parents mad! They reckon by the time I'm old and grey instead of turning into a crazy cat lady I shall be the crazy fish lady.. :P

^I already am the craz fish lady :P

An obviously still very obsessed. There is a koi show next month in Atl and I cannot wait!

yea one of my favorite things to do is go to local pet stores and oogle at everything there. The hardest part is resisting the temptation to buy every fish i see

I wouldn't say I have ever been burned out And I have always have had some kind of fish or another but until I had Betta's and Goldfish I have never been more enthusiastic :) I think about them all the time,with but several sick fish and deaths recently i momentarily considered throwing in the towel...but being home on disability i would go insane...my fish are my life my family says ;) So i'm a little crazy ;)

I'm not complaining ;) LOL

I was head-over-heels totally bonkers when I got back into the goldfish hobby a few years ago. I couldn't stop reading about them, thinking about them, looking up photos online, watching YouTube videos, etc.

I'm in a less-obsessed, mellower place with my goldies now. I got into keeping puffers a while ago, though, and went through the whole obsession thing with them too. Now I'm just happily maintaining both my tanks. :)

Getting a new fish can set off the obsession again, though -- especially if I'm having one shipped!

im thinking about have a couple shipped here once my 30 gallon is ready. Its a healthy obsession, not too expensive when you think about it, and it also calms me down

I agree, it calms me down too. Whenever i hear think of something that makes you happy, the first image is my goldfishes, and a smile comes in my face right away.

.............My bf thinks that there is something seriously wrong with me!

My MOM thinks there's something seriously wrong with ANYONE who goes to so much bother with, "stupid fish. Especially stupid goldfish. When I was young, we had a dumb goldfish in a little vase and it was so green you couldn't even see the fish and we NEVER changed the water or did all this fancy stuff and that goldfish was juuuuuuuuust fine." My mom hates my fish. So, at least, based on this level of lack of compassion or understanding, I'd definitely say I'm obsessed with my fish.

..........yeah, I know I already posted! I just had to say this too! lol!

It's a pretty addictive hobby. A few months ago poor Billy was in a 5 gallon tank. i had a jug to do water changes once a week. I remember getting excited when I first got to siphon lol. My mum even let me keep stinky mushed up carrot, pea, hikari pellets, tubifex, and bloodworm (gel food) in her freezer. That took a little persuading. In fact a lot. The babies loved it though :P

Edited by ilovefantails

My mom is always getting mad at me when I do water changes....I spill water ALOT.

Im obsessed! I spend most of my day researching bettas and goldfish. i even just took out five library books about them, and Im already done all of them in less than a week. :)

Same here. I mean all I can do is just dream how nice it would be to have a huge tank with a dozen goldfish in it. And half that time I'm drooling at the fish Goldfish connection. [

My mom is always getting mad at me when I do water changes....I spill water ALOT

Same here I always have to make reasons why I have to do them every week.

Yesterday, I dropped about three gallons of water all over my kitchen floor.....:(

:grouphug it's good to see I'm not alone. I have a few different tanks, a tropical, a salt and my goldfish.....I love my goldfish the most. I think having an awesome website to come to....thank you Koko....helps. It's nice to talk and read about other peoples passion for their fish. I remember the fish time my g/f was here when I lost fish. I started tearing up, and she was like...you're kidding me, right? I told her no not at all. I'd had that fish Fancy for 12 years. She now gets it, she gets attached to them as well, maybe not as much as me, but she does.

You should see her fussing over my pea size snails! LOL.

I've been to other sites, I've been hated on just for having goldfish, or sites that it's such a click know one really wants to talk to you. I lost my way from this site for a while, been busy, had a lot going on with family and didn't have a lot of time to come here, I'm glad I stopped lurking and jumped in.

thank you to the members for being as friendly as you all are. :#1

Glad to know I am in good company. My fish are my happy thoughts.

I just spent another $40 today (new plant, substrate, pots and fertilizer) and got a new fish yesterday because it was too cute resist (a tiny black moor!). Now I realize that I'll have to have a second or larger tank in a year or so. Yes, I also am obsessed.

I told my husband that I got a new plant for the tank, and he said, "Is there no end to the purchasing of living things?!" Fortunately, he was smiling when he said it.

Guest kelly82

Im obsessed, no 2 ways about it. I have 2 fancy goldfish tanks,6ft 680L and 4ft 440L, and ive just convinced my husband to dig a pond, 11ft x 7ft x 3ft deep for rescue commons, comets and shubunkins who have lived sad lives in tanks too small for them. Im at my happiest when doing something related to their care, i do partial water changes twice a week on both tanks. My family and friends think im mental, my mum hates fish and often comments with 'i dont see what you get from them, they are boring, you cant do anything with them and they take so much work', i tell her they are better than TV and relaxing, and i actually enjoy the work to keep them happy and healthy! im always buying new 'salad bars' for them from the live plants section and have to avoid the goldfish sectin or id end up with more new babies for my tanks! Gota love goldfish :heart