Going On Vacation

Smurfishy

What is the general rule of thumb with this? I have a goldie and 20 or so fry. I was thinking of letting my son's friend pet sit, he lives just around the corner, I am a lil sketchy though with putting the lives of all my fish in a 13yr old's hands. I was also considering, since they are all in a 25g, bringing them to a friends house. Again though, no one I know cares for fish as I do but maybe they would be willing to follow instruction? I am thinking maybe one of those automatic feeders? But should I trust them? The nearly 3mo fry I feed 3x a day with frozen brine shrimp, crushed flakes or crushed pellets and the big guy gets a couple of sinking pellets 2x a day. I am going camping and am actually trying to limit my choices to those close by jic... I am such a dork! I got 2 ferrets, 2 mice, and a ball python to worry about too so the pet sitter seems like the best option. Any thoughts?

You didn't say how long you were going to be gone.

Goldfish will do fine going without food for 3 days or so - even up to 5 days, really. Your mice and ferrets are going to need more care than your fish in this regard. Fry, on the other hand, do need to eat more frequently and, as I haven't raised fry myself, I can't say for certain how they'd do going without for 3-5 days. I think that the frequent feedings with fry is just because they're growing so quickly and they need the extra fuel, but I'm sure they'd be fine in the most basic sense and especially if the lack of feeding weren't a regular thing. But, again, this is just guessing.

I've used those automatic feeders with not much luck. They dump out too much, not enough and I've even had them get all clogged with moisture and the food turned into one big lump of goo.

Are you going to be gone less than one week, i.e., no water change will be involved? If so, I think the thing that I would suggest is to get one of those 7-day dose medicine boxes, fill it with the correct amount of food you feed your fish for each day, hide any other fish food so as to avoid any "soft hearts" that think maybe they should feed more, and give explicit instructions to your fish sitter to ONLY feed what is in the box for the day at hand.

Unless your sitter of choice has fish experience, I think you may be asking too much of them to feed individual things to individual fish unless these fish are in different tanks.

And, I too, would be very concerned about putting my pets' lives in the hands of a 13-year old. I would have to know for absolute certain that he is extremely serious, reliable, responsible and trustworthy and isn't going to get bored or lured away by friends, etc.

You may have to pay more for a "professional" sitter, but you would have, I'm pretty sure, a more secure feeling with leaving your pets in their hands......

Edited by Lynda Von G

Oh wow, sorry, I plan on going away for a week more or less. I figure if I give a W/C right before going then they should be ok with that. Its just the fry feeding 3x a day that is the issue.

I was gone for a week before. I got my goldies one of those water-poluting weekend feeders and changed the water before I left. When I came back everyone was in tact and SUPER HUNGRY!!! lol