Sign in to follow this  
Chrissy

Help With My Tank

Hi

I am new to the forum...That said I need help with my 50 gal tank. I had a fully cycled tank and then made the mistake of clean about 8 inches of the gravel with the water change (about 10 gal). at about day 10 of the newly cycled tank. It put the tank in a terrible down fall. My amonia and and nitrites have gone thru the roof. I put my fish outside in the pond so they are Ok. The water has now cleared up (looking good) but the tank is still toxic. What now? Do I just wait for it to cycle again or is there something else that I can do.

Chris

Edited by Chrissy

What are the readings right now for your tank? I think the best thing to do is to do a couple of 100% water changes to remove all the ammonia and nitrites. Then, feed the tank 1ppm ammonia to get the cycle back in gear again.

What are the readings right now for your tank? I think the best thing to do is to do a couple of 100% water changes to remove all the ammonia and nitrites. Then, feed the tank 1ppm ammonia to get the cycle back in gear again.

They are both off the charts I can't believe that what I did, did this!!! Do you believe in adding benificial bacteria?

Chris

Edited by Chrissy

Hi

I am new to the forum...That said I need help with my 50 gal tank. I had a fully cycled tank and then made the mistake of clean about 8 inches of the gravel with the water change (about 10 gal). at about day 10 of the newly cycled tank. It put the tank in a terrible down fall. My amonia and and nitrites have gone thru the roof. I put my fish outside in the pond so they are Ok. The water has now cleared up (looking good) but the tank is still toxic. What now? Do I just wait for it to cycle again or is there something else that I can do.

Chris

welcometo.jpg

With your water change did you use a python, or a siphon? When dealing with gravel, the best option is to remove the fish before getting in there with the python/siphon because it will bring to the surface all of the muck and gunk that's been trapped in and under the gravel. Do you have bio media in your filter? And if so, how much? What happens with gravel in the tank is that both the good and bad bacteria can live there. Primarily the good bacteria will live in your filter but if there isn't enough bio media they will also live in the gravel. While changing the water and cleaning through the gravel both sets of bacteria get knocked from their places on the gravel and move throughout the water.

About your ammonia and nitrites rising, I would suspect it's from the good bacteria (bb's) being displaced from it's place on the gravel. Give the bb's some time to find their way back home in the gravel.

If this were my tank I would add more bio media to my filter for the good bacteria to multiply in. And I would also have a barebottom tank. But that is just from my experience and I'm not telling you that you must do that. If you have a gravel bottom you should really think of removing the fish before cleaning to keep them safe. It's great that you have a pond, so it seems like moving them could be an easy option for you for cleanings. But do give adding more bio media some thought, it can't hurt anything!

Hi Chris, I have used Nutrafin Cycle, and I think it helped. However, I don't think that these supplements are necessary.

Martha's suggestion of adding more bio-media is a good one. :)

I wanted to comment to martha's post. Don't remove your fish from the tank during a water change or gravel vac unless your fish are ill. That is once your tank cycles again.

Moving them to the pond was a good decision right now.

Hi, I really appreciate the help.

I have an underground filter and a filter that hangs on the back of the tank. Is this good enough. Do I still need to change all of the water???

Chris

Edited by Chrissy

I wanted to comment to martha's post. Don't remove your fish from the tank during a water change or gravel vac unless your fish are ill. That is once your tank cycles again.

Moving them to the pond was a good decision right now.

Oh ok Whistle.gif

I have an underground filter and a filter that hangs on the back of the tank. Is this good enough. Do I still need to change all of the water???

Chris

what are the models of the filters and the respective gallons per hour?

Chris

High levels of ammonia will actually inhibit proliferation of the Nitrobacter (ammonia consuming) bacteria. So, you'll want to do several huge water changes no matter what. It doesn't matter if it's not 100%, but you should aim to bring ammonia levels down to less than 0.5ppm and nitrites to less than 0.25ppm.

Chris

what are the models of the filters and the respective gallons per hour?

It is an Aqueon 55 and just an underground filter

Chris

Chris

High levels of ammonia will actually inhibit proliferation of the Nitrobacter (ammonia consuming) bacteria. So, you'll want to do several huge water changes no matter what. It doesn't matter if it's not 100%, but you should aim to bring ammonia levels down to less than 0.5ppm and nitrites to less than 0.25ppm.

I will do a big water change tomorrow. I am just wondering if I should get a filter with the 3 chambers in it (also)

Chris

It is an Aqueon 55 and just an underground filter.

I will do a big water change tomorrow. I am just wondering if I should get a filter with the 3 chambers in it (also)

Chris

Edited by Chrissy

Undergravel filters are not the best with goldfish. I would, while your fish are in the pond, take the gravel & undergravel filter right out. Yes, buy a canister filter, or a second HOB to get the GPH you need, and fill with lots of bio media.

How much gravel do you have? I don't like deep gravel..I don't use regular gravel at all. I got a bag of river rocks from home depot & placed a thin layer of them in my tanks.

i have that aqeuon filter also and a 55 gallon tank. for my second filter i went with the aquaclear 70. This will give you enough filtrationand the aquaclear filters have a lot of room for media. Many people on here use aquaclear.

i have that aqeuon filter also and a 55 gallon tank. for my second filter i went with the aquaclear 70. This will give you enough filtrationand the aquaclear filters have a lot of room for media. Many people on here use aquaclear.

Thank you sooooo much for your advice!!!!! I will do it.

Chris

How much gravel do you have? I don't like deep gravel..I don't use regular gravel at all. I got a bag of river rocks from home depot & placed a thin layer of them in my tanks.

I only have about 1 inch of gravel.

Chris