New Fish

colley614

Hey guys,

I bought 3 Goldfish on Saturday and put them in my quarantine tank. Got in from work and the whole tank is peppered in eggs! Problem is I think all the fish are Female. Is there any way to fertilize these eggs now? I bought these fish to breed as I have loads of males ready but my females aren't ready. None of the fish have breeding spots in the tank.

If they are all females, then it's too late. I'm sorry. You'll also want to vacuum out all the eggs before they become infected with fungus, which will happen rather quickly.

Good luck with your breeding endeavors :)

Right, at least I know they will breed! I think I've found a trick, whenever I take the females from outside and put them in my tank they seem to realise their eggs. When do you think they will lay again?

Is there any point in keeping them just incase? I can't be sure they are all females. My LFS told me that when I bought them but he sold me 3 saying they were most likely as they were a lot rounder than most in the pond.I understand that rotting eggs will knock my cycle but I am keeping a close eye on them anyway and always getting low readings. It seems a shame to just bin them but obviously if they have to go then thats what I'll have to do. In 2 years of hoping and praying the last 2 weeks are the only times I've seen eggs. I'm looking at it as progression, I'd just like to get some fry this season instead of having to wait until next spring. Right I'm getting my books out lol! :interesting:

Fertile eggs will become pale amber to pale yellow in color. Infertile eggs will be opaque (solid white) in color and eventually become fuzzy as fungus develops. In viable eggs, you'll eventually see a small black dot in the centers -- these are the developing baby fish.

ok what sort of timescale am I looking at? some of them are looking opaque while others look sort of clear. I'm thinking them were laid today so I'm wondering when I'll be able to tell or is it right away?

I think it would be rare if your female spawned without a male. Most of the time they need the male to bump into their side to release the eggs. Not all males will show the tubercles.

Lennard